Speeding ticket today | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Speeding ticket today

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by toomanymodz, Oct 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Are you a judge? Sure seems like it by your preachy posts.

I was not smart about my driving when I was younger and had enough tickets at one point to warrant a letter from the Governor telling me one more ticket in the next 6 months and I'd no longer have the "privilege" of driving in my state. I slowed down a bit but mainly I just got smarter. Have only had a few rare ones in the many years since then.

Around here artificially low speed limits and specific laws set up just to catch people speeding are the norm. I decided long ago I'd safely drive how I wanted and have a good radar detector, a better lawyer, and deal with what happens. It's worked out pretty well.

Almost got hit though quite a few years back when I was out in the middle of the sticks on a spirited drive on some backroad twisties. Had just been up in at least the 120-130+ range but knew there was a trap not far up ahead so had already started slowing down when the detector went off. I slowed rapidly... then passed a state trooper heading the other way.... right at the speed limit.

2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    no. I simply was saying apologizing instead of arguing with the cops will likely make the ticket more palliable.

how did you even take that as preachy post? your ability to jump to conclusions by one singular word alone escapes me.

reading what you wrote in your post does shed some lights, however.

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Here's the problem with apologizing - apologize for what? Be polite, respectful, but NEVER admit to the cop on the roadside that you were speeding. If you don't admit you were speeding, what are you apologizing for? Don't argue, either - those are not the only two options.

4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    yeah, I totally see your logic. But if I was speeding like 70 mph on local street, and I know I am completely busted, then in my experience, apologizing did make the ticket less severe. But if I am 5 miles over, and the cop is ******, you are right, apology likely will back fire once we are in the court.

5. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    A lot of specifics vary from state to state, but the laws on radar and laser jammers are much more severe than many may imagine. Radar jammers are illegal in all 50 states as a federal crime (if you've ever had experience with federal seizure laws, you know you don't want to go there). Laser jammers are illegal in seven states and DC. In California, you can have a radar detector, but if you mount it on the windshield, it is illegal. You can mount it on the dash without any problems (although it might not be high enough to detect a radar signal in time).

The police use radars and lasers manufactured by pretty much the same people, and they pay 5-10x for their equipment - guess whose radar unit will work better? They also largely have transitioned to lidar with really narrow emitting signals and longer range capabilities. The officer can hold the emitting beam until, they see a target coming, so there is very little ambient noise to warn you unless you have a pretty good detector. Having a detector is pretty useful when you're in any kind of traffic; you can usually see evidence of the signal on your detector as the cop uses it with cars ahead of you, giving you a few second to slow down.

If you're on the open road, it pays to be on one with which you're familiar. You'd already know the spots the police are likely to sit to work radar, and where the speed limits change to a lower number, where they may sit to catch you "speeding" at the previous limit. The CHP will usually pace you (they used to be prohibited from using radar, so its in their DNA). They will, though, also use aircraft to pace you in remote areas, which they think is great fun. Traffic cops also occasionally keep the radar on when it's holstered; it is kind of a magic traffic slowing device that means all of the radar detector cars will slow, look for the cop, and not seeing one, may think their equipment is broken. All's fair in love and...

On to the speeding - laws on speeding vary from state to state, and most of them have a magic number (usually 100mph) above which they really whack you hard. In CA, the base fine is $500-1,000, plus penalty assessments, meaning it will be close to $2K by the time they add everything in. Your licenser can be suspended from 30 days up to a year, and you get two points on your driver's license, which will be most quickly seen the nest time you renew your car insurance. A court appearance is also mandatory over 100mph.

In CA, driving over 100mph is an infraction (meaning you don't get arrested unless you refuse to sign the citation, not recommended). If you drive that fast with other traffic around, they could ring you up for reckless driving, another matter altogether. Reckless is a misdemeanor, and you'll go home in an Uber/Lyft once you get out of the calaboose, because your fancy ride will be in car prison.

In other states, things vary, but probably won't be too far from these kinds of penalties. If you get your license suspended, and then drive your car, the court could also impound it for the duration of the suspension, not a state of affairs you'd want.

Nospinzone likes this.