Speeding | FerrariChat

Speeding

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Bullfrog, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Today I broke my speeding cherry. I was pulled over doing 69 in a 50 and the cop was a real prick. Can anyone give me any advise? I really do not need the points.

Thanks, Jeremiah

2. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    give us the details? NJ? here is my advise which is not worth much.

plead not guilty on the ticket - send it in and get your court date, in NJ I am not sure if they need to send you something within a time frame but look for any tech lopholes , if none appear go to court and look for a reduced speed, then go to traffic school to clear the points

FWIW

3. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    For what its worth, I'm sitting with a ticket too but chose to plead not guilty. So far its been ten months and they haven't scheduled a court date. At this rate, by the time they do and the cop doesn't show for the first date and so on, it might be two or three years before this every gets decided. A lot can happen in that time - none of which is to my disadvantage IMO. If anyone out there feels differently, please pipe in.

Andy

4. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    All I want to do is avoid getting points on my license. Should I get a lawyer?

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    lawyer will cost you at least $300 bucks and no certainly of getting complete aquittal, they may find some techincality to get you off but you can probably do this yourself - its up to you

6. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    do you have any points on your license or you are clear?

7. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    I am all clear. This was my first and I have been driving for 9 years.

8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I am a lawyer, and everytime i've gotten a speeding ticket, i have hired a local lawyer with juice. At a minimum, they can better negotiate a reduction of the charge, possibly in advance; worst case, you'll know what you are dealing with now, rather than waiting until the case is called. Do not ask for a detailed deposition by the arresting officer; this only causes him to focus more on the case. You can use the Internet to locate lawyers in the particular town where you were written up and/or where you'll have to appear. Then call them, and ask basic questions about who does the work for the police force themselves, if local constabulary; if state, then who does the most work with them. Its well worth the money, compared with the cost (financial and otherwise) of getting points.

9. rleander

rleander Karting

Sep 23, 2002
    Winston-Salem NC
    Agree, ALWAYS hire a lawyer. Find somone who knows the local scene and does this for a living. It's not just the fine and points you are trying to avoid, you don't want the offense screwing up your relationship (read:increased premiums) with your insurance company.

Never, Never, Never just pay a ticket. It's the best advice my uncle ever gave me.

Happy New Year.

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Can you guys explain these posts? How do you get a lawyer to argue down the ticket? If you were going 69 in a 50, how can you argue otherwise? If the cop shows up, what can you say? You obviously were guilty, so what do you say on the stand? Do you lie? What can a lawyer do?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I'm just curious what this secret is on how not to pay speeding tickets. What can a lawyer do that I can't? I mean, it's not like you, the speeder, have any leverage...

As I say, I'm just curious - I've gotten two tickets in my life and paid them both the same day...

11. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    What town did this happen in?

12. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Zipj i saw the answer to your question on another thread and in my own life experience. That poster said admonished the complainant for going to court on his own. He got nailed. The poster didn't admonish him for whatever infraction he committed, but for being knaieve (spellcheck) enough not to know how the legal system works, if your lawyer plays golf with the judge or his wife volunteers at the same charity then you walk out of court smiling. Written Law matters very little inside the halls of justice.
    T

13. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    From my past experience if you go in with a lawyer and if your license is clean then they can usualy plea bargain the ticket down to a seat belt. obviously not if you were speeding 30 mph over the speed limit!

14. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Not gonna give you advice, rather just share my experiences.

I have gotten only a couple speeding tickets in my 16 years behind the wheel. I always go to court and approach the prosecuter myself. Every time I have been able to reduce the penalty to some extent. Example - once I had a petty 7-10mph over ticket reduced to a non-point valued fine, another time I was sitting on a 33-over fine (possible suspension)which was dropped to 2 pointer speeding violation. I walked away happy both times - no attorney involved.

Good luck!

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    19 over...? That's 4 points in NJ...! Dude, give me a call, let me know the details of how, where, when, what, etc.... Otherwise, follow WHart's advice...

16. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    workfare for townie lawyers. spend the money, get less points!

17. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    So, how does the "negotiation" go? Do you just say to the prosecutor, "Come on, I really don't speed, is there anything you can do? etc. etc."

18. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    sup jeremiah,

You have to give us the details...where it happened, what time, etc...I am VERY confident we can help you here. I had many points when I was knee high to a grasshopper and I can tell you this...Do not just pay the ticket...the route you take is going to based on many factors (i.e. perhaps a local attorney was the prosecutor in the court at one time and knows the officer, the cop may be willing to amend it to "obstruction of a roadway"...a fine only...there are countless possibilities...I have seen it all)...the bottom line is this: Once you have completely exhausted all avenues, then be willing to accept a reduction to a 2 point violation.

19. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JERRY

SPEAK TO THE PROSECUTOR FIRST BEFORE THE TRAIL AND ASK IF THEY CAN MAKE A SPEEDING TICKET LOWERED TO A NJ STATUE 779.2 ( UNSAFE OPERATION OF A VECHILE) ITS A 150.00 TICKET PLUS 30.00 IN COURT FEES BUT NO POINTS ON A LICENSE.....OVER 15 MILES AN HOUR HERE IN NJ IS 4 POINTS..............

20. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    My advice,
    Plead not guilty. Go to court, if the cop shows, admit that you were speeding but ask if they can waive the points, they like honesty. If the cop doesn't show, then plead guilty to doing 5 mph over the speedlimit and no points.

21. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Jim, how would accepting 5 over NOT yield any points?

22. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Ok guys, here are the details. I know them because I was a passenger in the car. Jeremiah was driving a 2003 Dodge SRT-4 (Neon based hotrod) which probably didn't the situation. He had a guy in a Fiero riding his ass for about two miles and he started to get frustrated. After making a right turn onto a major roadway (with the Fiero making an attempt to overtake) Jeremiah decided to accelerate vigorously and was nabbed about a quarter of a mile down the street by a cop sitting on the right side of the road. He was clocked at 69 MPH and he was still accelerating. In addition to this, his license had just been re-instated the previous week. The officer did make mention of this.

23. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    well if it means anything i am going to go good will hunting style into court on the 20th of this month to fight the 110+ in a 55 ticket I got. I am sure the court will be appaled that the cop put people in danger by chasing me :)

24. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    I am loaded w/holiday cheer

25. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'm lost. I thought BF's slate was clean, and now you say his license was just "reinstated," which suggests that it was suspended, or worse. That doesn't bode well. The last thing you should count on is mercy from a court ("gee, i'll just go, chat up the prosecutor, and hope they cut me a break"). Get yourself the best lawyer in town. He or she will know the players and work out a deal in advance. Otherwise, you risk getting truly and fully boned.