Spider top problems? | FerrariChat

Spider top problems?

Discussion in '360/430' started by viperboy, Jun 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. viperboy

viperboy Rookie

May 27, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Joe
    As I am new to Ferraris and looking into buying a 360 Spider, I am wondering what advice anyone can give me as to how troubling and problematic a spider top can be? Do they frequently have problems? At what mileage do they tend to break? Are they very reliable? Is there a certain year range they are better? Etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I've been on this site for several years now. 360 and 430 top problems seem to be rare fortunately. I hope I haven't jinxed myself...

I pray I don't have that problem. It can be extremely costly.

3. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i think the low mileage ones that dont get used often are the ones with concern,i bought a low mileage 430 and my top operates very slow like a weak pump.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The hydraulic rams like to leak. I just replaced one on a customers car. 1700 for the part and about 8 hours labor.

5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    OUCH!!

6. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    What is the average amount of time it takes for the top to be operated up/down, with it working properly, on the 360, and also on the 430? Might be very helpful information, for someone looking at the purchase of one of these cars, . Reading the post about the part costing $1700, and 8 hrs labor, not cheap, or quick to repair!

7. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    It should take around 20-25 seconds for the 360 top to open or close.

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Not a pleasant job, not at all. Which ram did you have to replace?

9. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    right hand side ram is leaking in my 360 spider, I'm considering a rebuild - $1700 is outrageous.

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    $1,700 is outrageous, but you can get it for less. Nevertheless, have you found somebody who can rebuild these items? If so, they might be a valuable resource in the future.

11. viperboy

viperboy Rookie

May 27, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just want to say thanks for all the helpful feedback. Keep it going, I'm learning lots! Lol

12. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
  13. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Rebuild is impossible. The lines are all fitted and one piece so it can not be done 1700 is the going rate. Mine does it and requires a refill about once a year or 50 cycles up and down.

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    I thought that rebuild was impossible too, but those guys seem to think they can do it.

Yours does what that makes it require a refill once a year or 50 cycles? ... don't follow what you're saying.

15. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    Im guessing he means it has a slow leak under operation and needs a refill every 50 cycles or so.

Cheaper than a rebuild/ replace, until you have a major seal issue....

16. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    The Rams usually leak internally, that is where the seal is. If the fail externally;

1. You have 300 bar of hydraulic fluid shooting everywhere
    2. The fluid is caustic and will destroy almost everything it touches and you have paint, engine, fuel lines, and other stuff up in there.

If he has an external leak, its really, really bad and should be repaired ASAP. Internal leaks will slow operation at first, then stop operation. If the failure is on one side they could cause a catastrophic twist induced failure requiring much more than a ram replacement.

The top assembly is $$$$, and makes $1700 look like just the Tax on the bill.

17. viperboy

viperboy Rookie

May 27, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well I mean good gracious, i'm hearing all of this and its all negative "bad" things with the top. From what I am hearing, I need to run away from a spider. Am I right or wrong?
    But what doesn't make sense to me is why would they make a convertible for it to constantly have trouble and break? Is Ferrari not quality? Is ferrari not reliable? And not to mention all the trouble I hear with the engine and all of the maintenance that has to be done. All I hear is trouble trouble trouble with these cars. I don't mean this in any disrespectful way at all, but Ferrari sounds like junk. Are we just paying for an emblem or are we paying for good quality? In this search, the more I hear, it sounds like maybe I just need to stick with good ole American muscle which is very reliable and a lot more powerful. Again, I mean this with all due respect.

18. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Somewhat of a common problem. They are elastic or primarily elastic and they go bad from time to time. When the top is up, you can see a little bulge in the center of the roof. They are $2000 to replace via dealer or $1,000 if you have it done directly at an upholstery shop

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    The hood mechanism is made in Germany (as far as I know) using many of the same components that go into a Mercedes hood -- in other words, it shouldn't be any less reliable than a Mercedes roof of similar design.

Can't say I've heard anything specific regarding the reliability (or otherwise) of a Ferrari engine. They are solid and bulletproof, but just like any other piece of fine engineering, they prefer to be treated with a modicum of respect. When treated correctly, they reciprocate in away that not many other engines can.

20. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    The poster mentioned 8 hours to replace,one side? Is that the amount of time specified by Ferrari to replace each unit, perhaps some of the F-Chatters know what the amount of flag hours are,by Ferrari , for this job?

21. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    The process of replacing the ram includes the lines that are part of the ram to which the pump manifold connects. these lines run through the engine compartment and frame. Then there is the bleeding of the system. Which I understand requires a special adapter and SD* computer.

The price you are being quoted is inline with what I paid to have the drivers side ram that manipulates the capote cover replaced on my 03 spider

22. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    good news everyone: ferrariparts.co.uk got a hold of a few hydraulic rams for 360. I had a ram on a backorder with them for a month or so, and was advised yesterday that my order is ready for dispatch.
    at 600 pounds, a bit cheaper than $1700.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The right hand side ram for the capote cover.

Requires the capote lid to be removed, trim panelas that surround the rollbars (both of them), the entire tub assembly that the top folds into must be removed completely. Before any of that can be done you have to bleed down the entire system so you can manually move the top by hand into various positions so you can gain access to all the hidden bolts holding the trim panels on ( the ones that contain the side flaps).

Once your all done, you must carefully line everything back up so you have no body interference anywhere where the top and othe parts move. That is very time consuming and nerve wracking.

Not a very fun job to do. I have done 4 I think now. 8 hours is based on experience. If your tech is doing it for the first time count on longer. My first one took me a day and a half to do. So approx 12 hours.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    600 pounds, say 1100 usd, add shipping etc, your not really saving a whole lot. Factoring down time with the car. But if you live over there, good deal!!