Spider top problems? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Spider top problems?

Discussion in '360/430' started by viperboy, Jun 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    It's certainly a tricky job (ask me how I know) but it doesn't involve any special bleeding or SD2 computers. All you have to do is dump the fluid from the line you're working on, which is easy enough to do once it has been disconnected at the manifold.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had my F430 spider for 3 years and never drove it with the top up. Aside from a minor adjustment of one micro switch adjustment when I first bought it, it never gave me a problem.

If the break, they are like anything that breaks on a Ferrari -- expensive. But that would not keep me from owning one.

It's rare that you will have a serious problem.

3. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I would argue the computer and adapters. I watched my tech operate my top from the computer to test the cycling sequence and micro switches. I was told you can even operate the top out of the vehicle with such test tools.

4. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    shipping to Australia cost me another 30 pounds with DHL, overall saving of $500 or so - enough to pay for 3.5 hours of work :)

5. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    My Ferrari ran just fine today. Actuated top up and down with no issues.

...see; people don't want to write or read posts without drama. You read about issues on N units, not about successful usage on N+10k units.

I won't get sucked into the American Muscle vs Itialian swiriling toilet. If I wanted uber reliable, never open hood, I would push around a Lexus; oh wait I do for my kiddie carrier. Never opened hood, not even sure if its FWD or RWD.

For me Ferrari is a lifestyle choice.

+1; my buddies Merc top system looks almost identicle to my system in components, especially the rams. He lost a ram recently, it was an expensive mess to fix. Mine wil eventually fail and I will be on here posting the symptoms and repair steps in a fancy pants DIY to better the FChat community. ...now where are my keys?

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    As the owner of a 2006 F430 Spider since October of 2011, and having owned a 2004 M-B SL 500 and a 2006 SLK 350 since new, I can only hope that the capote system on the F430 is as reliable as the units on my Benzes. If in fact the units all come from the same German manufacturer, I should really stop reading these unfortunate accounts of Spider top failures. My Spider top works perfectly at present. Should a problem ever develop, I will deal with it. Nothing in life is without risk. In the case of 360 and F430 Spiders, I think that the rewards should be emphasized over the risks. I'm not a Polyanna, but neither do I believe that the worst-case scenario is necessarily the norm. I say this with sincere sympathy for anyone who has had a capote malfunction, and having been skewered in the past by non-covered serious failures on high-end American marques. Many automobiles have Achilles heels of one sort or another. I hope that very few of us ever experience this particular one, and thank all posters who inform us of potential problems and solutions. We're all in this together! Fred

Faverro likes this.
  7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    My top opened in 30 seconds and tool 40 seconds to close

8. viperboy

viperboy Rookie

May 27, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Joe

Yes, I am beginning to see that now. The norm is that they work right, but for the times they don't, you get a lot of talk about it. I think I feel more comfortable now buying what I want and that is a spider. Thanks.

9. FN117

FN117 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Hong Kong
    #34 FN117, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had a tiny problem with the soft top before.

When the top was closed, the opening on the left side finned pocket was not closed tightly.
    There was a large gap along the pocket opening.

Checked and found the eyelet peg on the end of the stretch cable snapped. It is the part #8 in the drawing. The eyelet should be hooked to the spring #24. The eyelet is made of alloy clamped onto the cable. It broke into half.

There was a flat area on the eyelet peg. Drilled a small hole on it and hooked it back on the spring. Problem solved.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Hi all am new to ferr chat I have noticed bothe sides of the soft top upper stretch cables are on their way out anyone had a go at replacing them if so can u give me advice /direction to achieve the job myself or is it a job for Ferrari service cheers

jjsaustin likes this.
  11. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I got a convertible top/ auto upholstery guy to do the job $300, the cables cost more try and find someone wrecking a 360/430 spider same roof

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app