Spitfires!!!! | FerrariChat

Spitfires!!!!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Zambelli, Mar 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  2. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Just as with Mustangs, there are more Spitfires flying in the world today than for at least 70 years.

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That might be true, but the RAF did operate them until the mid to late 1950's. The last operational Spitfires were in the Irish Air Corps up to 1961. Compared to what the IAC is flying now Spitfires might be an upgrade :)

5. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You guys probably already know this but you can go to YouTube and watch an excellent original film of how the Merlin was built, from casting to assembly/testing. I wish there was one of the DB series or Jumo.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Haynes also has an "Owner's Workshop Manual" for the Merlin!

ducrob likes this.
  7. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks Jim.....now my ocd personality has to order the manual;) Next posting from me "cam timing on the Merlin"....it's all going to be your fault:)

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rob- Probably possible to find a manual on the DB 605, too, if you can read German. I have manuals on a bunch of WW-I German aircraft engine manuals, not much on WW-II.

ducrob likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The problem with the Haynes manuals is that they are not really workshop manuals in the same sense as a workshop manual for, say, a Ford or GM engine; I always thought that they should use the term "Enthusiast Manual" instead.

Maintaining a Merlin engine based solely on the Haynes manual is almost certainly out of the question, since the book is mainly intended for historians, modelers and other laymen rather than for aircraft mechanics. You'd need a manual from Rolls-Royce (or Packard) if you were a mechanic.

Here's the link to the book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-Royce-Merlin-Manual-construction-maintenance/dp/0857337580/

ducrob likes this.
  10. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks for the link Jim. Terry, I've been tempted to purchase repro manuals for the DB series...they are available. I will go on eBay once in a while and purchase memorabilia. True story and I'm not proud of it...got really drunk many years ago and decided to go online to purchase a Halloween costume (my group of friends are pretty competitive with this stuff). Woke up in the morn and honestly couldn't remember what I purchased. Two weeks later, a Waffen SS field combat uniform arrived from the UK "Band of Brothers" film set. I did my face up as a zombie when we went out to the bar for Halloween as I didn't want anybody thinking I was a neo-nazi. Dumb purchase and super expensive. Our local military museum wouldn't even take it.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rob- I found out a long time ago beer and E-Bay do not mix. Made some dumb bids that luckily were not accepted.

12. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yes Terry...I've learned. Many years ago, I woke up one morning, checked the computer and found out I had purchased a Ducati sport bike. On a crap note, around the same time, I put a deposit on a Isuzu cube van and was ripped off....some Russian mob scam. I don't drink and have my credit card by the computer anymore (for a very long time now).

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rob- Unfortunately, I have my credit card numbers memorized.

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Bisonte likes this.