SPOILERLESS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SPOILERLESS

Discussion in '308/328' started by Glen_Lloyd, Jun 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    I've been wanting to take mine off and, like you, I can't seem to figure out how to get to the second nut. Is there some special tool that you need to get to it?

2. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    There are four nuts accessed through holes. Look through the big hole using a flashight and you will see the second nut. We used a 1/4" drive with a short extension. I think they were 10mm. Nut, lock washer and large flat washer. You have to be careful or they will fall into the sail.

3. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    I will look around for some red LCD lites or reflectors. Flush mount reflectors with no wires would mimic the running lites common on LM racers.

4. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #29 Glen_Lloyd, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    i'll second that bullfighter.....aid to direct airflow over dek lid vents ............ + they look cool too.......... i have a spare rear spoiler if anybodys in the market

6. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

I know you're referring to the Boxer and I have not seen the drawings you mention but I don't understand how this applies to the 308/328. "How the carburetter's air gets in and out" ........ The carbs. are fed by the right-hand side scoop on the body and the "carb air" goes out the exhaust system. The spoiler may be relevant to the Boxer but I don't see how it is relevant to the 308/328 regarding carb. air getting in or out.

7. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Aesthetically, I find that I have no preference - and I'm generally opinionated on such matters!

However, I do think aesthetics must have been the reasoning behind the addition of spoiler (at least as an option?) in 83.

If they were for either cooling or improved aerodynamics, wouldn't the 288 GTO have had it?

8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

Good points. I think if it really improved something (an upgrade) it would not have been an option. I like seeing these cars with black spoilers, with body color matched spoilers and without spoilers and these same different "looks" add another visual dimension to the GTB. They all look good to me. Nice to see all the variations.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I doubt it. The venting in the deck lids is angled to allow air OUT, not in. Air comes up from under the car, through the engine compartment and out the vents in the engine lid. This is the low pressure area behind the cabin which would tend to suck air out. The spoiler probably hinders this process more than helps it. A spoiler's function is downforce. The spoiler either is there for downforce or pure aesthetics.

I agree that the car looks better without it...as it was designed!

Birdman

10. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I much prefer the looks with the spoiler on...just my opinion though.

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not a spoiler -- a "transverse air deflector", per Pininfarina's original design notes for the Boxer. (The rear lip on the decklid is probably intended to push the rear of the car down, although with all that weight in back it probably wasn't all that necessary.)

Spoilers are for idiots. Transverse air deflectors help draw women towards the car.

A man of taste and sophistication.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I think so too.

One thing is certain - it does nothing but make the car look different because putting it on or taking it off doesn't make the car run any better or faster

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    So the lack of a spoiler (I mean transverse air deflector) is why women aren't drawn to my car!! Now I get it! :rolleyes: I thought it was because Ferraris are invisible to women and only 12 year old boys notice them. That's it, get me a drill, I'm putting a transverse air deflector on my 308!

14. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I wouldn't add one to a car that came without it or take one off a car that came with it.

15. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

Plus One