SPOILERS: Practice USGP | Page 3 | FerrariChat

SPOILERS: Practice USGP

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Jun 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    Practice 3 about to start.

2. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    Ralfie has pulled out of the US GP, he is being replaced by Zonta.

3. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    MS fastest in Sector 1 with a 22.2 and Sector 3 with a 20.0 and goes to P1 with a 1:12:180.

4. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    MS betters Sector 3 with another 20.0.

5. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    RB does a 29.6 in Sector 2 goes to P2 with a 1:12:311.

6. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    RB goes fastest in Sector 3 with a 19.9 and jumps to P1 with a 1:11:838. First man in the 11s today.

7. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    DC goes fastest in Sector 3 with a 19.8 to land in P3 with a 1:12:409.

8. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    Alonso fastest in Sector 2 with a 29.5, but he hasn't done a full lap yet.

9. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    JPM fastest in all 3, does 1:10:726... first man in the 10s this year at US. Only 0.3 off the record fastest. Wow that was a fast lap, under 3 mins left to go can Ferrari respond to this.

10. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    1 minute to go... looks like Montoya is the man to beat this weekend.

11. axemansean

Jul 11, 2004
    End of session, only JPM, MS, RB, DC, Monteiro, Karthikeyan, Friesacher, Albers set a full lap time. That is kind of interesting.

Top 3... JPM, MS, RB.

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Teamorders at Mc Laren for the race?

13. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    How about this?

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=90014

I guess this is another problem with the limitation on tire quantities for the weekend. Otherwise, I suppose they could just fly the new tires in and use them. I guess you can't blame them for trying, and it wouldn't really change the standings much if they did pull out, but rules are rules, and everybody agreed to them up front. I suppose if Ferrari pressed the point, they'd be looked at as unsportsman-like bad guys, but other than a pullout being "bad for F1," why should Ferrari feel compelled to grant this late rule change? Lots of these rule changes were made to slow down the red team, and since they have been so effective in doing so, I don't see why Ferrari should allow another change at this point. It would be better if Ferrari allowed the new Michelins as part of an agreement to get rid of the tire limitation rule in its entirety; that way, everybody would gain, permanently, and F1 would demonstrate that it really does have the drivers' safety as its first priority.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    If a race has less than 20 cars, the FIA can call off the race. If Michelin tired cars pull out, that leaves 6 cars (2 Ferraris, 2 Jordans, and 2 Minardis) and I doubt the FIA would let the race go one with only those.

15. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    If Michelin cars have to start on different tyres how about they have to start from the pits, should even things out a bit.

although it could mean toyota could put some fuel in trulli's car!

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I liked the idea of the six Bridgestone cars in front and the Michelins behind them. Kinda like reversed grid. Would be fun.

Since the Championship battle is between Kimi and Alonso, it doesn't really matter what they decide.

17. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    I could care less who wins between Kimi and Alonso....just as long as Ferrari win the constructors im happy :D

18. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    When i heard this at the track today i said what a bunch of BS.

Here are the facts Michelin + Bridgestone know the risks before the tires are designed. They both have data from past races at Indy to go off of. A driver has to know what the limitations of there race equipment. If they feel that there tires cannot handle the abuse on the track they can either pull out or back off and conserve there tires.

If Michelin does bring tires in overnight then they are in violation of the rules and any teams that decide to change tires should be given a 1 min penalty for changing the tires.

JMHO

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Apparently the resurfacing of the track caused this situation.

But I agree with you that the rules are the same for everybody and if the Michelin runners get to change their tires, that's the least they need to allow the BS people.

Also I wonder how they want to handle testing of the new tires, after all no lap has been done on them at speed. Weird situation.