Sport Seats | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sport Seats

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Stewart 430, Apr 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTRPower

GTRPower Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Interesting thread...

I personally would never use an aluminum seat in a race car, nor would I use a seat brace on an FIA approved seating system (seat and mounts).

US motorsports seat safety is somewhat antiquated in comparison to FIA according to my friends at Northstar Motorsports. SFI (standard used in SCCA iirc) treats the seat structure as a rigid unit- hence the seat bracing unit needed for fiberglass/carbon fiber seats. FIA treats the seat structure as a deformable, energy absorbing unit- to which the seats are tested without bracing on the back. Thus, like harnesses, seats are date stamped since they have a finite lifespan that the manufacturer is liable for (belts and seats older than three years from the date stamp are not considered usable and need to be replaced which is why you always look for the freshest dates when purchasing). From what I understand SCCA is going to incorporate FIA standards in the near future.

I know which ones I would rather be in- not an aluminum seat...

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    GTRPower,

Agreed, it is a debate between strict and ultimate stiffness or allowing some "controlled" give and take (yet of course not breaking apart). My preference is to have some controlled give and take as this slows down the final stopping motion, thereby causing less injury.

Just my humble 2 Yen.

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    While on the subject of sport seats,
    Those of you that have done this in a 308,
    did you use seats that were side mount or bottom mount?
    Thanks!

4. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Dave,

Am going side mounting and it all seem to line up perfectly. Do not care for using bottom sliding brackets as once the seat angle/height is set for me there never really needs to be any adjustment.

FYI: Sparco Roadster with OMP HC730 low-rise side brackets.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Steve, I show the Sparco Roadster as being a bottom mount seat.
    Can you mount one of these seats either way?

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Now that I have visited OMP's website I see they have a variety of mounts and side/bottom adapters.

7. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Dave,

The Roadster is kinda unique as it has BOTH side AND bottom mounting holes. Their website says bottom only (it lies). Has NOTHING to do with brackets, but that there are proper mounting holes/hardware for side or bottom mounting within the seat itself.

8. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    OK sports fans,
    a stock 308 seat weighs in at just over 30 lbs...
    So 61 lbs for the pair.
    and a couple of 17 lb racing seats weigh in at 35 lbs with brackets.
    A savings of 26 lbs.

Removal of Mastiff, a savings of 223 lbs...

9. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Anyone want to sell their factory M/L 360 carbon-fiber black leather racing seats? If so, please contact me

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Dave,

CONGRATS on the new seat! Did you go side or bottom mount? Was it hard? Anything i should look out for when i do mine next week? And which seats DID you get??? ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated.

11. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Have yet to order the seats, carpet kit is on the way.

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Might want to try out the roadster first hand if possible. It depends on how big of a guy you are, and also how tall you are too. I've had a roadster in my car for ~2 years, and that includes daily driving. It's comfy, but non-adjustable which you already knew. Holds me quite well, but not as well as say... a kirkey or SPG. The upper bolsters don't hold your back too well, but much better than OEM seats. Getting in and out of the seats on a daily basis - well... just a PITA at times. But once I'm in the car... I can feel what it is doing much more than any OEM seat out there.

The black/black seats are difficult to locate. The black/gray-backing seat is easy to obtain. Wait for what you want.

13. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Schatten,

Have the black/black Sparco Speedster seats here and as for bolstering, OMP sells additional cushions that easily Velcro on i desire more padding. In fact odds are if i feel the need... i will make my own pads from whatever material i desire (probably that aerospace fancy bed foam stuff) and stick it behind the Roadster's fabric cover.

As for the size of the seat and comfort, am a trim 5' 10.5" (32" waist, 170 lbs.) so i have no worries there. As far as getting in and out, the Roadster is MUCH easier than full race seats with high sides. From my basic NOT IN CAR testing, i like the feel/comfort of the Roadster MUCH MORE SO than the stock 308 seats.