sportbikes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

sportbikes

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by rob, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Biggest balls award goes to tifosi69!

185-190mph on a bike?!?!? That's insane!

Maybe when I take the training wheels off of my R6, I will venture out onto a highway!!! 8-D

2. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I've been 165mph on I 285 in Atlanta many times racing with some cops who actually raced with us.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    this is a great thread guys.... i started out with 2 ninja ex 500"s , one was for parts......moved up to a ninja zx6r, then 2 gsxr 750's, which are my favorite.... i got to ride a friends ducati 748 monster a lot last summer. i wouls love to try a 916 or one of the new ones!!!! i havent had one for a few years after i promised myself after a near death miss i would not ride anymore ( other cars fault, not me!!!) gas prices keep spiking and i may get another...... 455 pontiacs get 8 mpg... a 308 would be an IMPROVEMENT!!

4. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
  5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I was also with some cops on the freeway going fast. We were not racing
    though. It is always enjoyable to read about Bike stories with cops.

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Just a few nitpicks...

For 2004, of the big 4 bike makers (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki) are releasing their new liter bikes. They are the CBR-1000RR, the YZF-R1, and the ZX-10R respectively.

Nowadays, most of these bikes will put out CLOSE to 150 at the wheels, bone stock, and have a dry weight around 380lbs.

A few corrections.

-The ZX-10R is *NOT* putting out "160rwhp stock". All the 04's are pretty much within a few hp of each other. MCN's latest puts the R1 on top, with 147.9RWHP. 2nd was the Zx-10 with 147.7, third was the CBR with 146.6, and last was the GSX-R1000, with 144.4.

-The ZX-10R is not available yet. Only the 04 R1 has been released. The Zx-10 supposedly is being "fixed" for some type of transmission issue. It got some slams in the pre-press testing for it's tranny. Rumor is they are fixing it.

-The CBR-1000RR is not out yet either, and production delays are rumored to have Honda displaying a prototype bike on the show circuit. I confirmed this with many dealers and some Honda reps at these shows. True or not, I don't know. But you can't buy either a 1000RR or a Zx-10R yet and ride it home. The only new 04 out is the R1.

-No, the 1999 R1 (or the 00 or 01 for that matter) did not have 150RWHP. They were closer to 130-135RWHP. No, they did not do 1/4 miles in the 9's. A low 10 second run in the mid 130mph range was about the best they did. And an R1 is not going to do 170mph.

-An FZR1000 may have shown 170, but I'll bet it wasn't doing 170. I've topped my 01 R1 out at 175 indicated, but you're going closer to 158-162 at that point. And I doubt any FZR is going to hang with an R1

-Until this year, the GSX-R was the big-boy to beat. Some have gotten mostly or fully stock GSX-R 1000's into the 9's (just barely, with lots of debate on whether they were stock). We will see what the R1's can do.

-No 1000CC stock literbike is going to run a 9.6, "rider capable" or not. Unless the rider has a JATO in his butt. Maybe this will be different in 04, but so far this has been the case.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Interesting. I will have to ride some of these 4 cylinders again. That ZX-10 really didn't seem as fast. I wonder if something was wrong that particular one.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I hate to beat the drum, but it is a TQ issue, but not in the HP vs TQ way.

Consider an I4 enging reving at 10,000 RPMs as you roll on the throttle to exit the turn. There are 333 cylinder firings per second that get transmitted to the rear tire as power pulses (ignore the flywheel for now).

Now consider the V2 engine reving at 7,000 RPMs as you roll on the throttle to exit the turn. There are only 116 cylinder firings that get transmitted to the rear wheel as power pulses.

When the rear tire starts to slip under TQ on an I4 engine, there is no time interval when there is no TQ flowing, thus the tire accelerates as it looses TQ.

When the rear tire starts to slip under TQ on a V2 engine, there is 2.8 times as much time between cyclinder firings, and there is one close (270 degrees) and one far interval (450). This gives a definate period where no power is flowing from the engine, and the tire can hook up again.

Thus it is easier to hold ont a V2 bike accelerating at the edge of traction than the corresponding I4 can. Here the odd 270, 450 cylinder riring intervals is actually useful in letting the rear tire hold onto the road. This is the same rational as the big-bang V4 2-strokes that Mick Doohan road to victories several years ago.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Tifosi,
    If you come to Colorado I'll let you take a rip around on the street bike. I think that you'll be quite impressed.

10. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Tifosi does have balls to do 185. Highest I have gone in either of my gixxer 164mph.

I made it from Berkeley, CA to Simi Valley, CA (exactly 350) miles door to door, in 3 hours and 26 minutes last summer. Few high speed jaunts and a couple of stretched runs of 150mph holding steady.

HEHE. Love the street bikes :D

11. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Thanks for the offer, can we go to the Avalanche game also.

12. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Do I also get to take her for a ride ? Like quite a few here I can ski also.

Dude we have a lot in common.
    Lets see ?

Fast cars ( We also like F and L cars ) ~ A RARITY on this site. LOL
    Fast bikes
    Airplanes
    and yes last but not least. Drum roll. BEAUTIFUL WOMEN.
    The last word (replace E with A) for me.

13. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory

The RDs and RZs were cool.Always wanted a RZ-350LC.

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

If you make it here by Sunday afternoon I have two tickets for 8th row, center ice.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Sure, Ralph, you can go for a ride, too. Although the one car that I want to drive more than any other is a Countach. I keep toying with the idea of buying one but I don't have the cojones. I think that a conversation that I had with Taek once scared me out of it. I told myself that I would not make any decisions without some extended drives.

16. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Ryan. Feel free to come down here and drive the car; if you have some free
    time. Taek is also in the area. Just drive it for fun.

I hear mixed reviews about the reliability of the car. I do not have the car
    long enough to give an accurate response about the car. The car has never
    had a very expensive repair bill. There are plenty of maintainance docs.
    Everything is generally from 1-3K. The only good story I have that makes any sense is the following.

The original Calif owner (whom I purchased the car from) kept all the service records. He kept the car from 1988-2003. He also purchased a new 1999 Diablo SV. He would not have purchased the Diablo; if he had a bad experience with the Countach. He is a collector that has quite a few cars
    in his stable.

17. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Awesome, a hockey fan AND a gearhead! Rare combo. I wish I could but we will definately in the future. Same goes for if you are ever in Atlanta Sherpa.

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I went a few weeks ago I got tickets from ESPN's corporate team and their seats are 5 rows in front of my usual seats (so third row). In the third period, Teemu Selanne (fellow Ferraristi) slapped a puck high on the glass and it bounced over and into my lap. Now those are good seats.

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Ralph, believe me when I say that I will take you up on that offer. Taek and I went once to Al Burtoni when I was starting my initial shopping for a countach. He is a great person to talk Lamborghinis with. He helped me greatly to sort through my thoughts and purchase. I also would like to meet JR.

20. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  21. ART360

ART360 Guest

All those HP figures are off by about 13% because they were done on a Dyno jet, which generally reads about 13% high. Most riders, no, 99.9% of them can't begin to use the HP of the 1000cc bikes, twin or multi. The average rider, trying to do a quarter on one of these would be extremely luck to break into the 9s, most probably would run mid to high 10s in the quarter. PeeWee Gleason used to set those time for the factories in the road tests. The riders for the magazines, who are probably better than 99.8% of the other riders couldn't get with .5 of a second of his times. When I was racing, we used the drag strip to tune the bike. I was generally about the times of the magazine testers. I would watch non-professional drag races run those bikes, and it was funny to watch them start: some would wheelie, then slam down the front wheel, occassionally one of them would go over backwards, you name they did it.

I ride an old Triumph, a 1977, which I've played with a little. On a sunny Sunday, I go for a ride to the beach (Stinson) and occassionally will find a
    20 + kid to ride with on their new superbike. They are usually astounded when I drive away from them. Makes me feel young, and is quite funny. I don't tell them that I had a National Number for 15 years.

Art

22. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Anybody want a FERRARI motorcycle? YOU can get one...kind of. The MV Agusta has a Ferrari designed head with radial valves. I had one for a year but I became fearful of lack of parts when it was difficult to get an oil filter! The engine was very revvy, hp about 138 (depending on who you believe). It is a very soulful bike. Some guy in NJ bought it to use as "lobby art" at his office. Who needs another HARLEY?!? These bikes draw crowds like a rock star! http://www.mvagustausa.com/index2.html

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) I disagree that DynoJet dynos are 13% high
    B) motorcycles switched to Rear Wheel HP about 15 years ago--just to eliminate the confusion we get in automobile-land with RWHP versus FlyWheel HP.
    C) of all the Dynos, DynoJets are considered very accurate, while Mustang dynos are notoriously high, but even they are usually within 5% of recognized standards.

In any event, I believe the DynoJet numbers are usually within 2% of reality.

Note: Rear wheel HP and Rear wheel TQ is what is causing acceleration to happen, not FW HP or FW TQ, and in this regards is much MORE accurate than any FW based numbers.

24. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    I was wondering if anyone was going to mention this bike or not! The magnesium swingarm on that thing is beautiful, but still comes in second to the four-under the seat exhaust pipes! I have never before seen an exhaust system that was so well crafted.

I have to dig up the pix I have of a Serie Oro that was bought in Europe and brought to the US. It was at a Ducati dealer here in Dallas and was being sold "for the best reasonable offer." From what the guy I was talking too told me, a reasonable offer started around $100,000 in the owners mind. Considering that the original price was $29,000 for the limited production of 50, it makes the mark up on the third party Enzo look a hell of a lot more reasonable.

Andrew