Sports Exhausts----------------------- | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sports Exhausts-----------------------

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Jun 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Thats because you sit so far down in the car !!!

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Oh hello..... you having a pop too ? ! ;-)

3. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    That might not be the actual Tubi exhaust. I had a tubi on the 360 and suffered from the same resonant boom. I then went to sports cats and the boom magically went as well.

I have since switched to a tubi "Stradale street" - one down from Kein's N-GT I believe. Absolutely fantastic. Its like a tubi on steroids and with the sports cats the whole system seems to breathe very easily with no boom. Under 4,000 rpm conversation in the cabin is still easy. Above that or even in a tunnel or even just driving behind me is deafening!!

4. mac355gts

mac355gts Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    London/Kent U.K
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Hi,
    I got a Tubi fitted to my 355gts about 8 weeks ago.
    The noise it makes is fantastic under hard acceleration, but the "booming" at 2.5-3.5 k revs does become very irritating,especially if you are stuck in slow moving traffic(30-40mph stuff),at which point no gear seems quite right !.

I would be intrigued to know if anyone else has "suffered" and whether sport cats or decatting helps or exacerbates the problem.

5. Robbo

Robbo Karting

Feb 16, 2004

I have had a Tubi fitted for about 2 months now, fantastic sound and seems to be getting even better the more I drive it, BUT..there is a resonance or 'booming' between 2-3 k revs as you quite rightly point out. I've kept my old exhaust and will have this re-fitted when I sell the car. I'm glad I had it fitted, but don't let anyone say the 'booming' doesn't exisit, it does and is irritating in traffic.

6. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I second that!! and this corresponds to about 60/65 in 6th which is the speed one is doing a lot of the time.

I think Tubi is good for a weekend race/track car but im sorry I had one fitted to mine. There are better as good sounding options without making the car nasty at those revs. Also the fitting of test pipes makes it worse and harsher ( been there) Far to noisy in my opinion for normal road use.

The problem is you dont really become aware of how bad the resonance is until you use the car for a while and it just becomes tiresome

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Alan,
    my Tubi is de-cat and i still get "booming"

8. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had a Tubi fitted on my 355 a couple of weeks ago.

I drove it into a traffic jam on the M4 west as soon as I picked it up. Can't say I found the resonance irritating during that journey and I'm very fussy. The standard exhaust sounds so flat at lower revs that any noise is a welcome improvement!

It is a loud, thick, noise though below 3k rpm and I can imagine it could give you a headache if you spent your time driving through congested areas. I've yet to find a sports exhaust that doesn't. But is a welcome trade off for the absolutely fab noise above 3k.

I'd concur that if I used the car daily in city driving I wouldn't have a Tubi (or possibly any sports exhaust as I had a KHPC sports exhaust on my 328 which drove me nuts on long trips), but for weekend blasts I'd defo. recommend one.

The current Porsche 996 is available with a sports exhaust system with a 'volume' switch on the dash, which is a great idea as it sidesteps the dilemma between acceptable sound for the daily grind and for recreational blasts. It apparently works beautifully.

Robert

9. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The 355 has two sets of cats, one larger set for lower engine speeds, and the smaller set for bypass mode at higher engine speeds; does de-catting it remove both sets?

10. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Just been onto my insurance company(Direct Line) today to tell them that I'll be fitting a sports exhaust.

When I told them the extra horsepower(about 3HP I reckoned) they asked what the increase in power was as a percentage of the current power.

Some quick calculations later and I came up with a figure of 0.78% increase. They responded by telling me because it was a significant increase in power that they'd want an extra £350 a year off me!!

It's not a fortune in the grand scheme of Ferrari ownership but I refuse to pay that on principle. Good job I'm not getting NOS put on it.

Direct Line are just jokers when it comes to modifications. They charged me an extra £300 a year on my Lotus because it was painted blue.

I'll probably be changing to Liverpool Vic in September, anybody know if they're more sensible about things like this?

11. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Tesco were the only ones to get anal about any power increase. I had my 911 insured with them, and told them there was no increase in power from the sports exhaust. If the car's been in a smash, I'd like to see them get definitive dyno figures from the engine. Don't tell them I run my cars on Optimax either.

ClassicLine, AON, Liverpool & Victoria & Footman James were all cool about it.

12. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    As you know I just had Tubi/Decat done. I am insured with Liverpool Victoria. Total increase in premium £0.00p.

They didn't ask if there was a power increase - it is just flagged as an "exhaust modification". I have an unlimited mileage policy with them.

Ric.

13. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Thanks Ric

I think I can wait till 1st of September before getting it fitted.