Spot the fake daytona drop top | FerrariChat

Spot the fake daytona drop top

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by msdesignltd, Jun 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 msdesignltd, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looking at this picture.
    Nothing stands out more than one item.
    This one item is an oxymoron of sorts when included with this car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #2 joker57676, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Column shifter.

Err, scratch that. I now see the stick shifter. It kind of blended in on my phone.

Mark

3. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Rear window defroster.

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    We have a winner...
    The Coupes had a forth dash lever which was a glass window defroster..
    A real Daytona spyder has only 3 levers.
    It is a real Ferrari Daytona however Straman cut it in 77..

5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nice! Never noticed that before. Now that you've pointed it out of course it feels like a "duh" sort of thing that i should have noticed all along.

Is this the car currently for sale in Canada? Looks nice in the pics.

6. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    I was going with leather dash instead of the mousehair material.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    sunvisors

There is something about the sunvisors and a real drop top

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #8 4rePhill, Jun 14, 2017
    Really? :confused:

DK Engineering claim this car to be one of the original 122 factory "Daytona" Spyders, and it has four dash levers on the dashboard: Ferrari 365 GTS/4 "Daytona" Spyder for sale

And Classic & Sports Car magazine claim that this "Daytona" Spyder belonging to The Who legend Pete Townshend is one of 7 original factory RHD cars, and it has four dash levers on the dashboard: Ferrari Daytona Spider ? at the helm of one of the magnificent seven | Classic and Sports Car

9. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    True spiders had a spool and a pull down sunvisor that was hidden inside the windshield frame trim. 246GTS and 365 Boxers also had the pull down visors.

10. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm curious to know for certain. While clearly a defroster wouldn't be installed on a factory spider, I also can't see Ferrari creating a different dash layout for a limited production version. Just like the non functioning 'blank' switch in the US 430's.

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #11 davemqv, Jun 14, 2017
    I think it's not the levers, but the switches below. Conversions/coupes seem to have 4 switches to correspond with the 4 levers. Factory spyders have 4 levers but 3 switches.. or so it seems to me.

Examples below. Top pic (tan int.) is a coverted spyder. Bottom pic (blk int.) is a factory spyder that once belonged to Don Cornelious... Groovy baby!

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Given the variations among Ferrari production cars of the period both variants could be authentic production spec.

13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #13 davemqv, Jun 14, 2017
    Factory spyders do indeed have pull down sunvisors. These pics are from my dream Daytona Spyder...14389.

Also, just to reaffirm the main point under discussion in this thread...this factory spyder car has 3 switches on the (heavily faded) dash.

Edit: That radio console was a custom job done by the former owner...record producer Lou Adler. Not stock.

14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is that known or just your opinion? Just asking. still learning myself.

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #15 davemqv, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    To VIZSLA's point, I have seen a lot of variation on Daytona dashes. The little triangular covers over the dash levers, for example. Some have two, , some one, some none.

I personally don't know which is correct or if it changed by market or year....or whim.

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #16 miurasv, Jun 14, 2017
    First picture is of genuine RHD Daytona Spyder #15963 which has 4 switches under the 4 heating/ventilation levers. Second pic is of RHD Daytona Coupe #13271 which has 3 switches under the 4 heating/ventilation levers. So they vary.

In the Braden & Roush Daytona book there is a diagram of a dashboard with 3 switches identified as left and right hand ventilator blower switches and in the middle of these 2 switches is the electrically heated rear window switch. There is no mention of the hazard lights switch.

17. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I thought the factory spyders only had three levers as well, but it seems it is not the case.

When I first got my Daytona I asked my mechanic, a well respected judge and Ferrari guru, which release lever was for the fuel door and which was for the trunk? He responded it depends how Luigi was feeling that day.

So, I guess Luigi might have pulled a 3-lever or 4-lever dash off the shelf on any given spyder production day.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Back in the day the specs could vary from car to car. By the time the Daytona was being produced things were more standardized but with a limited run like the spyder variations were more likely

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #19 TTR, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Re: Center dash switches, et. al. It might be worth to consider that many or most Daytonas have been subjected to one or more changes, modifications, restorations, upgrades, etc in their now +/- 45 year life and therefor relying on current, recent or even decades old photos to authenticate or reference originality is far from ideal approach.
    Same likely applies to almost any and all vintage cars, regardless of make or model.

I've pointed this out before, but IMO & based on fair amount (15+ years) of personal experience with hands-on work with dozen+ examples & (long term, on-going research, most cars in books featuring Daytona photos appear to be less than stellar examples for authenticity reference.

20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks. Is this the sort of "in between" time frame for standardization? I think if cars like the C/4 as less ideosyncratic but maybe I'm wrong.

21. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Thank you for the clarification - The original mention of four "dash levers" instead of four "dash switches" completely threw Me! :)

(Saying that though, it seems that the 3 or 4 switch situation might not be as clear cut as was originally thought - There's something reassuringly "very old school Ferrari" about that! :D )

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Daytona Spyder 14415 has 2 switches.

23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  24. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    This is why I love ferrari...... we are all discussing possibly missing switches, and the likelihood that each car was built slightly differently and how quaint it is........ if this were any other car maker we’d be laughing and joking about how rubbish they are at Making cars, they can’t even get the switches right! :)

Lusso123 likes this.
  25. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I was going to say no sticky buttons it can’t be real. :)