Squeaks, Rattles, Buzzing..... | FerrariChat

Squeaks, Rattles, Buzzing.....

Discussion in '360/430' started by psb1013, Feb 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    I just did some first-time, extended (3 -hr.) driving in my F430 spider today. Over the course of the drive, I've noticed a myriad of squeaks, rattles, and some occasional buzzing noises (during hard acceleration) coming from pretty much everywhere.....engine bay, dash area, under the seats, near the steering column, near the door panels, by the roof mechanism. Granted, I have a 12-yr. old car and this is not some Lexus, but a hard-core sports car with little noise insulation, low ground clearance and stiff suspension. However, the car has only 12K miles on it and was thoroughly checked out by my dealer prior to delivery last week. Is this something I just need to put up with by owning an older model Ferrari, or should I need to fix every squeak, rattle, and buzzing sound as much as possible?

2. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is the quirks of a hand built car. After owning a lotus, this is nothing!

Just get a louder exhaust, easy!

Performify and JoeTSI like this.
  3. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    After owning a 1998 Lotus Esprit, this is nothing. :)

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Does it have Capristo brackets? Does it have the clear acrylic wind deflector between the rollover hoops? Check the engine mounts and exhaust mounts.

My Spider does not have a single rattle or buzz and it is on Scuderia suspension with aftermarket exhaust.

5. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All those squeaks and rattles make the value of your car plummet. I'll take it off your hands on the cheap. Glad to help out a fellow Tifosi! :-D

dang2407 likes this.
  6. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I can't speak for any convertible top related noises, but my coupe feels and sounds solid. No squeaks, rattles or buzzes. I'd say, tackle the noises one at a time. If you can describe specific noises, we can help address those.

7. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Bolts, screws, and clips will loosen over time in stiffly sprung cars. I'll periodically go through the entire carand re-snug everything down. Sometimes a frequently loose screw or nut will be rewarded with blue Loc-Tite.

8. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My driver seat made a creaking noise a tiny bit as I accelerated (when my weight would go back into the seat). I moved the seat forward ever so slightly and it stopped. That's my first "weird sound fix."

9. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    On my spider the steering column buzzes a little for about 10 seconds following a cold start. Otherwise, it's rattle free.

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Every noise costs extra. You got a hell of a deal.

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My 360 coupe speakers at higher volume make my door panels buzz occasionally. Drives me nuts.

other than that really no other weird noises---- yet!

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    This doesn't sound normal to me. I don't notice any squeaks, rattles, weird noises with my F430 or 360 (or F40 for that matter). I would see where they're coming and try to fix them. That kind of thing would drive me nuts.

13. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My drivers seat squeaks till it warms up! All the noises go away after 5000rpm anyway.
    Another solution is a louder exhaust. :cool:

EastMemphis likes this.
  14. Emanuele Arguelles

Jun 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Manny
    I am having similar issues with my F430 Spyder. There is a rattling noise coming from right behind the driver seat, sounds like its coming from a trim piece near the convertible top, bu ti can't track it down. Anyone have a similar issue and able to identify?