SR-71 'Tour' | FerrariChat

SR-71 'Tour'

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Nov 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Don't know if this has been posted, I've never seen it... good stuff.

A tour of the plane... about 15 minutes

ChipG, David_S, NürScud and 4 others like this.
  2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Built with a slide rule. Engineering at it finest.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I used to design buildings with a slipstick... then... one day a guy walked into the office with a TI calculator... 4 functions...

LARRYH likes this.
  4. airborne

airborne Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Northern VA
    Good info - haven't seen that one before
    The plane eventually got a digital flight control system. As a young Aero engineer, I was tossed the unstart problem from a control law perspective. At cruise, a sideslip of 4 degrees or a rate of 4 degrees per second was considered a departure (loss of control). We implemented a code change to detect and react to an unstart (move the spikes). The pilots were so sensitive to it, they would catch it before the system and we had a heck of a time validating the fix!

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Thank you for the video. I'm sure there is a ton more interesting stuff about it and its missions we won't hear for decades if ever. I don't see anything as badass as that being made ever again in my lifetime at least.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Maintaining subsonic air intake at supersonic speeds, manually. Fun times indeed.

I recall hearing about the spike issues during the late 70s. So cool to read from someone who was actually involved in mitigating the problem.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ak Jim likes this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Best part is they got the titanium from Russia. :)

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    And I saw engineering guys pounding the keys on a 26 digit Marchand calculator with a crank handle on the side.

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I always marvel at the accomplishments of our engineers. Thanks to those who built these incredible machines. Maybe, prior to the space shuttles, the most complicated ones built? Certainly, operationally, over the top.

CW

10. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I was looking at a stress analysis from 1953 (for something that is still flying incidentally) the other day and was seriously impressed with how well it was done. Perhaps it was just done by one of the top guys at the time, but it was much better than most of the analysis that gets done these days.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I worked with a stress analyst in the 60's and he said that the processes that he was using at the time on the Boeing structures was formulated by John Northrop in the 30's. It is still valid.

375+ likes this.
  12. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004

Last flight video. Love this plane