News

SSD Drives over 5 years old

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Innovativethinker, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    Bear Creek, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    If you have an SSD that is 4-5 years old, you may want to consider replacing them now.

Just sayin.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob F1 World Champ
    Owner Consultant

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I thought no moving parts so bullit-proof? So old school hard drives with disc and needle prevail? I have had old school things last forever.

3. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Care to elaborate?
    We have some archival data on SSDs.
    Thanks
    T

4. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    Bear Creek, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    I've been buying SSDs since 2013, and they are now failing. I've had both crucial and intel drives fail.

Not allot of options when they do fail, I've tried this to no avail: https://dfarq.homeip.net/fix-dead-ssd/

The reality is that SSD drives have only so many writes, in 2013, a 250 gig drive was $450, and a 90 gig was $125, so we didn't get big ones. This may have effected the number of writes we had available.

Here is a decent article on lifespan of an SSD: https://www.ontrack.com/blog/2018/02/07/how-long-do-ssds-really-last/

Perhaps "lifespan" is a poor choice, more like "usage limit". When you hit that limit it degrades or stops. Since we had smaller drives, and every drive was used at least 40 hours a week, and just about every article I've read points to 5 years of use, so I have used up the effective life of my drives.

We also never shut off our computers, so whatever stupid stuff windows does while idle, including gigs and gigs of updates, may have contributed to the death of the drives.

Be aware that just about every SSD manufacturer has a utility to monitor the remaining life of your ssd drive. If you are using them I strongly recommend you download and run it.

5. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    Bear Creek, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
  6. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    Bear Creek, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    If they are stuck in a data safe you probably don't have to worry, although we always create at *least* two copies and place them in separate physical locations.

If they are in a live system, I would create copies and stick those in a data safe.

7. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OK, thanks. We have redundant backups of critical data: SSDs, DDN storage array (I think that's the jargon our system guys uses), hard drives, etc...T

8. Wade

Wade Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Glad I'm not one of those who implemented a cloud/RAID solution relying exclusively on solid state drives.

9. David_S

David_S F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Think I've had 2 old school platter type drives fail. One was probably 12 years old, the other was quite a bit older than that.

None of the HDs in any of my systems I'm currently running are LESS than 5 years old, but none of them are SSD, either.