St. Tropez | FerrariChat

St. Tropez

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Qksilver, Jul 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Taking my wife in September (assuming things don't fall apart in the world). We'll be in Ramatuelle for a week or so.

Anybody here have any memorable spots or experiences to share?

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    One sure thing, September will be less crowded than August, so a bit more enjoyable, but still much too crowded for old hands like me, who first saw the place as in child in the sixties. Should you want to have a glimpse of what the "azure coast" was in the old days, take a car and drive the 15 miles to "Le Rayol Canadel": the four miles of coast here are the last ones that are fully protected.

Rgds

Bas, NYC Fred, Qksilver and 1 other person like this.
  3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just closing the loop here. We had a fabulous time - spent a few hours at the port and that was enough (per your perspective, @nerofer). Our hotel, The Epi, on Pampelonne Beach was superb. Highly recommended for anybody considering a trip to that part of the world. Spent a week in the Luberon after at one of our favorite spots outside of Menerbes. A great trip to the South of France after many months without travel!

VAF84 likes this.
  4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    NIce of you to have closed the loop; always a pleasure to know that an "internet friend" from the other side of the Atlantic had a nice vacation in this country.
    It's not that Saint Tropez has lost all it's charm, there is still some left; but it is much too crowded by people showing off, by people looking at people showing off, by people trying to look at those who are looking, etc...it might be funny for half an hour, then it becomes boring (and very crowded, and even a beer is very expensive).
    The "Côte d'Azur" must have been truly glorious until the 1950s...the coastline has been ruined in many places nowadays, and is definitively too crowded in July and August; trafic is just insane, worst than in the middle of Paris on a busy day.
    The sea itself is still pretty, but the Méditerranée is pretty almost everywhere.

Rgds

Qksilver likes this.
  5. brianhinfl

brianhinfl Rookie

May 7, 2017
    My wife and I did the reverse of your trip at the end of September, a week in the Luberon first, then to St. Tropez. First time for both locations as we usually stay somewhere between Cannes and Menton.

The Luberon was stunning. Will definitely be going back there next year.

We really wanted to like St. Tropez, but felt there was too much of a façade and not enough reality to support it. That and the traffic. We were there during Les Voiles de St. Tropez, so I'm sure that added to the craziness, but our final impression was "You need a car to enjoy St. Tropez, but with traffic and parking, you can't enjoy having a car in St. Tropez." We spent most of our days exploring more to the west.

Did drive to Le Rayol Canadel, very nice. Continued on to Bormes-les-Mimosas and visited the Château/Café Léoube mentioned in Harry's Garage review of the 812. Ate a nice lunch at their beachfront cafe, then quick dip in Med, followed by a nice nap on the beach. Beautiful day.

Nembo1777 and Qksilver like this.
  6. PB033

PB033 Karting

Dec 13, 2019
    Switzerland
    Hi Qksilver,
    I can highly recommend Chez Camille for a romantic dinner. Renting a little yacht and going to Cap Taillat is beautiful! Feel free to DM me, if you need a contact for a reasonably priced yacht (approx 40 inches)
    Cheers

Sent from my BBF100-6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Qksilver likes this.
  7. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes, you are correct. We were in-and-out quickly for a great lunch at Zetta. That said, the port area is not our style.

I agree. We wanted to just hang out during our time in St. Tropez and the Epi was very conducive to that. Not much exploring other than a few local vineyards and occasionally venturing out for dinner.

We spent our days in the Luberon out-and-about though!

We had a great dinner at Chez Camille!