Stainless Steel hardware in aluminum intake? | FerrariChat

Stainless Steel hardware in aluminum intake?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RedNeck, Apr 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    As I get closer to putting the intake manifold back together and back on my 360, I was thinking of replacing some or all of the hardware with stainless steel. Is that a smart thing to do or will there be reactions between the aluminum and the stainless? Will that also affect any of the torque specs?

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Don't over think it. I think you or the car would be long gone before you would realise any benefits of using stainless steel. Just put it back together with the fasteners you removed. It will be just fine for the next 20 years.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Stainless bolts in aluminum is generally viewed as ok, but chemically plain carbon steel bolts will give less galvanic corrosion with aluminum than the stainless ones. There can only be galvanic corrosion when there is moisture, so the engine heat will keep the intake dry most of the time, so the difference in steel verses stainless will be minimal in this application. I would use the stock fasteners, coat with a drop of oil before installing to further keep moisture out, and you are good to go. If you want greater certainty for the car to be easily worked on for a very long time to come, use a dab of this moly anti seize, use very sparingly. https://www.belmetric.com/essential-shop-supplies-c-20_172/csl-gwr-p-1491.html

Stainless also is harder, and more prone to snapping the bolt head off, can "gall" and the threads don't stretch when tightened so stainless fasteners can in some applications not hold their torque as well as a steel. It is not the best material for many applications.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Fair enough...I definitely have a tendency to overthink.
    Excellent info, thank you.

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Most stainless bolts are less of grade than grade 5 carbon steel bolts. Don't be fooled into that stainless bolts are superior to carbon.