Stall/Spin accident | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stall/Spin accident

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Chupacabra, Dec 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flyboynm

flyboynm Karting

Apr 10, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Full Name:
    Not telling
    After seeing that picture, I am speechless. I thought it was bad for me as a student pilot when I hit a microburst. I have had spin training and I would NEVER enter a spin in a plane not certified for it.

On a side note, the plane I loved to fly the most was a SuperCub. ;)

2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's a rough week for Super Cubs:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/05/22/crimesider/entry5034217.shtml

3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    The plane was extracted from the swamp today, and my cousin took some more shots of it up close -- its absolutely trashed, of course. I'll get the shots up when I get them. They had to crawl out upside-down through the busted canopy. After seeing the close ups, it's even more unbelievable that they walked away. I think the very low stall speed probably helped them out a great deal, but the un-reinforced parts of the airframe were not of great assistance.

Anyway, I would imagine the preliminary NTSB report should be out sometime soon.

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    #29 Chupacabra, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That airplane must have been built by the Sturdily Airplane Co. To spin in and look that good with a walk-away crew is unbelievable. I still think that aggressive spin training, recognizing them, and the recovery from them before solo is absolutely essential in the PPL syllabus. How many people will be killed because they did not know how to cope with a boogeyman that doesn't really exist. I was fortunate to have had a series of instructors who taught by actual and dramatic examples that were tied to the cause, the effect, and the recovery. If you couldn't stomach stalls, spins, snap rolls, and loops before solo you didn't make the ol' guys very happy. Of course, those days are gone and so are the airplanes that you trained in, and the crusty old instructors. I've mentioned this before but when I took my "private ride" I had to do 2 1/2 turn precision spins to a point left and right and maybe another one thrown in by the examiner, 720's left and right with no loss of altitude, eights on pylon, pylon eights, four forced landings (one of which was thrown in during a pylon eights test and I had to take it down to about ten feet along the rows of a corn field), three deep stalls with no change in heading, and three precision landings (no more than 50 feet from the numbers). These were accomplished without touching the throttle after you retarded it. Needless to say, the seat was wet after I was through. Several times thereafter my life continued because of lessons drilled into me in a few hectic months by some very good people. I was never classified as a good pilot by my instructors or my peers...just adequate. But I had more fun than I can describe. I tried a lot of stuff and flew everything that they let me fly (at last count 35 types) from a Pietonpol Aircamper up to and including a DC-3 and Lockheed Model 12. I did nothing with it as a profession or to accomplish any ratings. I had much enjoyment and let others gain their fame. So, after a stroke and some other scary stuff I can't fly anymore alone in an airplane but I do okay if someone's in the left seat. I am a bit uncoordinated but the game is still there...and I can still recover from a spin.
    Switches