Stalling 328 when slowing down and it's not the clutch... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stalling 328 when slowing down and it's not the clutch...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rob lay, Dec 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
  2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Rob, they're right, you DID promise a full explanation.

I heard a little about it Saturday night, it's ugly gentlemen....

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I still haven't picked it up yet. I believe I pick it up tomorrow. There will be two things to explain...

1) Exactly why it would stall because of the emission test settings.
    2) Why a vibration turned out to cost me almost $2,000.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Great.
    We are all looking forward to the answer to the mystery question of the stalling.

Clearly, it cost you $2K because it's a Ferrari vibrator.

Good luck!
    rt

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Rob-

Why are you keeping us in suspense??

Sheesh, now I won't be able to sleep tonight!

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sorry, there won't be an answer until the first of the year.

I picked it up just now. They found a couple small air leaks around the hose to the plenum. When they test drove it they couldn't reproduce the problem and they drove it a good 20 miles.

In the 2 miles I drove it from the shop back to work it about stalled twice on me.

So now, maybe everyone can suggest what it may be and I'll provide the info to the tech early next year.

Here are all the facts as I know them...

1) Car stalls when RPM's drop fast, either in traffic or coming to a stop. All under heavy braking.
    2) If you slow the car slowly, then it may go a little below idle and then come back to proper idle without stalling.
    3) Only starts to happen after fast idle goes away and car is warm.
    4) They made a few adjustments to help pass emissions and since then is when the problem started. They tried to reset everything where it should be afterwards, but car is still stalling.
    5) Only other work they did when problem started happening is a new clutch cable. However, doesn't seem to be clutch related as car will still stall in neutral or clutch disengaged.
    6) Tech said with it not passing emissions the first time that there might be some other problems to troubleshoot, like the warm-up regulator.

That's everything I know. You'll know the fix when I know the fix. :)

See my other thread I'll post tonight when I talk about the $1,900 vibration noise.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Rob...Your car is running to rich. Stalling or rpms dropping on decel is a dead give away to a rich fuel mixture...over adjustment of the Co adjustment screw in the air flow meter. They more then likely adjusted this to make your car pass the e-test. They probbably tried to lean it out to pass the test and then re-adjusted it too rich. How does the car start when it is warm? Does is take a few extra turns of the starter to get her going? Testarossa's are also very sensitive to this type of thing.

You could very easily adjust this yourself to a point were it won't stall.
    All you need is a 3mm allen head tool and a good ear. Then afterwords get it set on a 4 gas analyizer.

One other possablity is the metering valve beside the fuel distributor is not functioning. With the car running that valve(looks like an electronic fuel injector) should be making a buzzing noise. If it is not then you need the protection relay located in the trunk under the carpet on the right hand side.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Norwood should know this with all their experiance!! This should be fixed for free because the car was not acting like this when you brought it to them.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Norwoods has been more than awesome. They rebuilt my water pump a year ago and it needed it again. They don't know why it failed again, so they just put an entire new casing on free of charge. No labor charge either.

Yes, it stutters more than usual before start up.

Should I attempt to adjust it myself? Give me the detailed steps please.

Thanks!
    rob

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    O.k. Here we go...

O.k. Between the fuel distributor and the air horn on the air flow meter,there is a small plug or screw. Remove the screw. With a 3mm hex head tool instert it down into the hole. Gently and slowly wiggle it until you feel it slip into the adjustment screw in the fuel distributor.

To lean the mixture out you unscrew it like a normal screw. To enrichin it you go the oppisit way. Start the engine

By your description you have to lean it out just a bit. becareful as a little tiny turn goes a long way.

As you are adjusting you will notice an immediate change in the way the engine runs. Too lean and it will start to run poorly. You will know you have it close when the rpms rise to their highest point just before the engine starts to shake.

You may after the adjustment is done turn the idle down with the large bypass screw on the end of the airflow meter.

Remember..only move the adjustment screw a tiny bit at a time.

During the adjustment..move the screw a little at a time and then remove the adjustment tool. Give the engine a good rev (say to 3500rpm) and let it return. You will see that as you adjust, the idle will become more stable on the decel and not drop out and then bounce back up.

After the adjustments are done and the car is running smoothly..shut the car off and let it sit for about five minutes. Then go back and start it. It should start quickly...within the first couple of turns of the starter. If it does not..then you are still a tad to rich.

HTH..if you have aymore qiestions please e-mail me I will be happy to help.

All this should be performed with the car at operateing temp.

11. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    a) Which emissions numbers were failing, CO, HC, or NOx?

b) While it's idling warm, can you detect a slight miss once in a while?

Have they tried putting a scope on the flywheel sensors? (possibly dislodged during clutch install). If you clamp the vac advance line, does anything change? (bad vac sensor). Ignition scope? (these Marellis are getting old).

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I showed Ken (Norwood mechanic) the stalling first hand. Just by letting it idle up to temp the car had more and more problems maintaining RPM's and if you bliped it the car would stall after the falling RPM's.

They're thinking it's the regulator or distributor (I can't remember which off the top of my head, but it's just one of those). The part runs much money, but they use the same one on Porsche turbo cars and can be had from a Porsche shop for $500. Mike is sending me the part # so I can shop around.

We adjusted the idle up and it's not stalling now, but the idle is at 1,500 normal. 1,000 when really warm, which is better than stalling.

13. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Could it be something involving the brakes, most notably the vacuum that is drawn off the intake system to power the brake booster, that could be causing this (or contributing with another fault)?

or

Plugged fuel filter or in-tank filter (insufficiant fuel supply, especially while braking, as the fuel in the tank sloshes to the front and away from the pick-up).

or...

14. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    my thoughts are leaning towards a cracked vacuum line somewhere or a faulty temp sensor for the injection. Something is not telling the injection what is happening and it is lagging when the vacuum should be increasing and going back to idle mode. loss of vacuum to the unit could do this easily.
    does teh car seem to idle a little too high? this could also point to a damaged vacuum line allowing air back into plenum.

Rob--laughing at the panties in the car--brings back memories of Spring breaks long ago

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Rob -- Do you know anything about the "Damper for metering valve" gizmo (item G in Fig 57 page 66 of the USA 328 OM 396/85)? They don't describe it's operation, but it might cause the symptom you report (if everything else checks out OK). I believe all these K-Jet and KE-Jet systems have some provision to prevent the fuel system from overshooting lean when you let off the gas quickly under warm, closed-loop conditions -- i.e., high intake manifold vacuum conditions and decreasing RPM -- and the name "damper" (in the sense of preventing quick changes) just seems to fit with that IMO.
    Have you tried something as simple as measuring the O2 sensor output during the "stall" event? If it goes down to ~0V during the stall, I believe that would indicate a lean condition.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It's not related to the brakes as of yesterday because I was able to duplicate the stalling condition just having it parked, idling, warmed up, and then reving it. Even parked when the revs came down it would stall. Sometimes it would go down to 400-500, cough a little, and then go back up to idle.

About the wife's panties, turned out it wasn't an interesting story, she just had to change at a friends house. Or that was the story anyway. :)

17. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    What's her friend's name?! [:p]

18. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Sounds like another happy Norwood customer story! LOL

19. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I'm guessing control pressure regulator, since the 328's fuel distributor is specific to an 8 cyl, and I think the Porsche turbos are 6 cyl.

I've been following this discussion, because I was getting similar symptoms (wandering idle) on my '88, but my regulator pressure seems to be okay. (You can get a CIS fuel pressure gauge from NAPA for about $120 to check this.)

On mine, I'm currently thinking either ignition issues (as I started seeing burned extenders) or a vacuum leak somewhere in the billyuns and billyuns of vac lines -- which would be a gold plated b*tch to find. (I guess I need to find a reasonably priced o'scope.)

20. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I had a very similar experience this year with my 328. I did the natural thing of lifting the idle to try and compensate but it still did not sound right.I knew i had a problem when i turned the a/c on which is belt driven from the engine and the revs sank to zero. Problem turned out to be a bad gasket around the plenum chamber and the fact that the timing was out on the front bank was obviously not helping.

21. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    If it was ok before, then SURELY there has been no sudden component failure??

I'd suggest a mixture adjustment has been made badly. The little screw that you remove to gain access to the adjuster, must be in place, or a bung, or your finger tip, while reading the emissions, as it creates it's own air leak when missing.

If you can get your long 3mm allen key in the adjuster, then the screw and plug is missing entirely.....seen a few mechanics do that.

Too rich would seem the likely cause, but too lean is also possible. Some kind of air leak anywhere in the manifold could cause it....maybe around the injectors??? Possibly the plenum rubber gaskets on top of the inlet manifold??

Be sure the aux air valve is working....clamp the hose when the engine is fully warm, and there should be no change in idle speed. When cold, it should almost stall.

Maybe a bad crank sensor, or damaged cable to one....it's easy to trap the cables when doing a clutch.........Or the vacuum line that goes from the manifold to the ECU can get disturbed or trapped when doing a clutch too, it goes through the oil cooler and is easily forgotten or severed up inside the wheelarch. Diconnect it at the ECU and feel for good vacuum with the engine running. If not, there may be an air leak there.

22. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    So what's the diagnosis?

(And you thought we forgot about it.) ;)

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Since I couldn't afford to replace a bunch of parts and diagnose more, we've just moved the idle up for now. 3 weeks later the car runs perfect as always and doesn't come anywhere close to stalling. It appears the fast idle is running about 500-1000 RPMs higher, but once warm the car is idling at about 800-900, which doesn't seem that bad.

This entire problem is really perplexing me.

1) There was nothing wrong before I took it in and they adjusted ? for the emissions test.

2) When they readjusted it, they said something was wrong and I would need some new parts and more diagnosis.

3) By turning up the idle, the car seems to run as well as ever, except for a little quicker fast idle.

Questions...

If there's something in my air/fuel system that is off, can I be hurting my car by running it like this? Even though the car seems to run perfect.

Does having a little faster idle hurt the car and what should a 328 idle be?

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Rob read mine and Ferrarfixers previous posts regarding the incorrectly set co mixture screw on the airflow meter. The mixture is too rich causing the car to stall out when you slow down. By adjusting the idel up they have introduced more air in the the intake,semi offsetting the rich mixture setting.

If the car was running fine when you brought it too them... and when you picked it up from them it was not...then they need to undo what ever they did FIRST,, before they start throwing parts at it,with no cost to you.

I also posted in this thread how you could attempt to do the adjustment your self if your so inclined,but if you don't feel comfortable doing it the just leave it and alllow them to do it. But I would definatly get them to undo what ever they adjusted,and get it to the point as if you never brought it in for an e-test. I beleive that this is the shops fault not anything you should be paying for.

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I'm still betting on a mis-set airmass sensor plate action/position.
    Which would be overcome by a higher idle setting.
    Which would cause the car to poop out at idle.

Did it cut off suddenly? A fuel pump relay microswitch would do that....

It could be as simple as just set way lean as suggested, but hard to believe that the mechs at Norwoods would not have done that first.

High idle won't hurt it, just will use more fuel and be loud. But it's not right. Should look at your mixture richness /CO through a sniffer to ensure not too far lean.

Good luck!
    rt