Standard of Care for Mechanic | FerrariChat

Standard of Care for Mechanic

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DavewantsaFerrari, Mar 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavewantsaFerrari

Aug 23, 2014
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'd like to know if my expectations of a person who holds himself out as Ferrari expert are reasonable. I had my 1970 365 in the hands of an "expert" to rebuild the engine and other things. The engine was rebuilt by a top notch Ferrari mechanic. The "expert" reassembled the car, did some work in the drive train and other things. He rebuilt the fuel pump, blew out the lines, and supposedly cleaned out the fuel system. He also said he tuned and got the car running well, and it was ready to go. When the shipping company arrived, it took 45 min. to start, and it ran rough. When it arrived, we could not start it. A shop investigated it and found a large amount of rust and gunk in the fuel filters, and the rust and gunk was inside and throughout the carbs (see photo), the engine, etc. So, I had to rebuild the top of the engine again. When they cleaned out the fuel system, it as packed with gunk and rust from the tanks up to and throughout the carbs. After cleaning out everything, it also turned out that it was not properly tuned or timed from the evidence they saw on the settings. So my question is: Am I unreasonable to ask this "expert" to pay for the repair required to clean out the gunk and rust?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    "Rebuild the top of the engine again"? I don't understand. Over rust in the fuel system the top of the engine needs to be rebuilt?

You are certainly due something but I need to understand what is being fixed now.

I guess the bottom line is you should ask for a refund of what items you were charged for that legitimately need to be redone. And I think he has a right to either inspect it or offer to make the job right himself.

RonH, Nospinzone and absostone like this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Have you talked with the mechanic and explained the situation? If so, what was his response?

4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Link in your profile has stevens law group? What’s your contract with the mechanic say? Sounds like you had work done after.... did original guy refuse to remedy?

5. DavewantsaFerrari

Aug 23, 2014
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    He refused to look a it. He said that I can send it back, but he would need to charge for any work he did. He said that he would likely do the same work as proposed by the estimate I sent, and there would be no refunds.

6. DavewantsaFerrari

Aug 23, 2014
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    He refused to look a it. He said that I can send it back, but he would need to charge for any work he did. He said that he would likely do the same work as proposed by the estimate I sent, and there would be no refunds.

7. DavewantsaFerrari

Aug 23, 2014
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    He refused to fix. Said that the shipping guy was lying - no reason to believe he was lying. Refurbish guy said that it ran well, nothing wrong. All was clear and it ran well. It was a mess. Had to rebuild carbs and heads.

8. DavewantsaFerrari

Aug 23, 2014
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    He refused to look a it or refund anything. He said that he did his best to clean fuel lines, and said that I should not expect him to clean the tanks or any other parts, though he actually rebuilt the fuel pump. The tanks were full of rust and gunk, some lines were clogged with rust. He said that I can send it back, but he would need to charge for any work he did. He said that he would likely do the same work as proposed by the estimate I sent, and there would be no refunds.

9. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    When do you a fuel system
    You do a fuel system that includes cleaning and purging the tanks and all the associated lines with that system
    Installing new filters, lines b nuts pumps etc.
    If this was done you would not have had these issues
    Those of us who have done this type of work in the past know this is what has to be done in order to insure a clean system
    Other then that all you got was replacement filters on a contaminated system which does you no good
    Unfortunately you go ripped off
    They were hoping for the best
    You got the worst

DavewantsaFerrari likes this.
  10. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    When do you a fuel system
    You do a fuel system that includes cleaning and purging the tanks and all the associated lines with that system
    Installing new filters, lines b nuts pumps etc.
    If this was done you would not have had these issues
    Those of us who have done this type of work in the past know this is what has to be done in order to insure a clean system
    Other then that all you got was replacement filters on a contaminated system which does you no good
    Unfortunately you go ripped off
    They were hoping for the best
    You got the worst