Star trek!!! *** spoilers *** | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Star trek!!! *** spoilers ***

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 3604u, May 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Not all of the red matter is used when creating a black hole. The biggest goof, or maybe I missed something...was Nero (stupid name)interfering with Spock 1's original mission then getting his nose bent out of shape when the plan to save Romulus fails.

Beyond that, keeping track of plot holes in the Star Trek universe is a pointless task...it's all about the interpersonal relations of the characters, and I think they've come up with a pretty good new crew, certainly worthy of the roles they are filling.

Better than I expected, and certainly better than anything Bergman would have pinched out...imagine Star Trek 11 and Scott Bakula fapping about the galaxy...no thanks.

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I may have missed something too because I didn't think Nero did interfere with Spock on his original "save Romulus" mission... that was part of what seemed weird - as soon as the plan failed for no stated reason, Nero was right there to attack. Seemed strange.

Also strange that Spock had, what, several hundred gallons of "red matter" when a drop the size of a walnut is all it takes to create a black hole :D

I think the casting was great, and I agree with you that they are pretty good, and worthy of the roles. The guy playing Kirk was especially good, he nailed the swagger and mannerisms.

I just wish they would do the franchise justice... when you see something like Wrath of Khan, you know it's possible. They have a great cast and premise, I hope they don't arf if with Star Trek: The Old Series: The Movie: Part 2: "The search for Vulcan... 'it was here yesterday, Jim'"

We shall see.

3. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I found the answer to my question on another forum.

Copied:

The Star in the Hobus system is the culprit, not the one for Romulus. Nero's mining in the system, massive solarflare detected, star's close to death. Oh ****, warn the Romulans, Spock vows to save them.

Vulcans are dicks, pissed at Spock and won't share tech with Romulans. During this delay a shockwave (not the supernova) is released from the star and it destroys Romulus. Everyone WTFs, realizes that the final supernova is going to put out enough energy+radiation to fry almost everything in the Alpha Quadrant.

Nero goes native, kills few Romulan higher ups, learns of secret rendevous at research lab with Borg Tech R Us to outfit his ship. Spock and Starfleet race to save themselves so they continue with the plan, too bad Romulus bit the big one.

Spock does mission to star to create the black hole before the final supernova occurs, Nero shows up tries to kill him, "Oh now you ****ers act, after my family is dead and your asses are on the line". Black hole sucky sucky both in. Cue movie.

4. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    ^ All that was from a series of comics leading up to the release of the movie. I don't read comics, but that's where the story came from. Why it wasn't explained in the movie is beyond me.

BEYOND THAT, it's not like stars blowing up is an event that sneaks up on people and catches them unawares; they would have known what's what long before the event. It's crappy plot devices like this and time travel that really need to be thrown away AND NEVER EVER USED AGAIN. At least the writers didn't cop out and reroute warp energy through the deflector dish in order to create a tachyon beam in order to open a rift in the space time continuum so they could go back in time to search for a real writer.

Basically a really crappy plot, but the movie was held together based upon the strength of the characters.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #30 tundraphile, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    Saw it over the weekend, and I was able to overlook the plot holes big enough to fly a Warbird through, not to mention the classic grandfather paradox offerred by the meeting of Spock & Spock. The young characters were very well cast. Young Spock in particular was very interesting. In some scenes you could see the emotion just under the surface, but he kept the cool exterior.

I wondered at the end of the movie if Old Spock would realize that there should only be one Spock in the universe, and his knowledge of the alternate future could be dangerous. The logical conclusion would be to end his life.

Old Spock scaring off the huge ice monster with a torch was a bit laughable. Also when Nero starts drilling into Earth after destroying Vulcan you know they would have thrown absolutely everything they had to defend the planet. It looked like people on the ground just cowered and screamed.

And as was mentioned before if the Enterprise was the flagship of the fleet you know politics would demand a seasoned Captain, First Officer, and a few experienced spares onboard looking to further their career. While it appears in this timeline that young Spock was very highly thought of in Starfleet, a person with his lack of experience wouldn't have been FO to Pike.

Perhaps they could have done it better if the Enterprise was newly constructed and its first benign mission was just to train these new cadets for six months, with Pike as much as a "professor" as a Captian. Then Nero wipes out the rest of the fleet and decimates the officer corp from Starfleet, leaving the Enterprise as the last stand against Earth and the other Federation planets. Because of Kirk's actions he is allowed to keep the Enterprise, which is now the flagship almost by default. This would also set up a sequel where a weakened and rebuilding Starfleet is attacked by Klingons or Romulans.

Overall though a much better way to spend a couple of hours rather than watching some chick movie like Travelling Pants of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.

6. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    [spock]Logic is only the beginning of knowledge.[/spock]

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    One thing I'll give them is that Kirk and Spock were both well played (Spock perhaps better acted than Kirk), and there was a good buddy chemistry there. I said to my friend as we were walking out that the Pine/Ross combo meshed well, and I'll bet there are 5 more of these movies just to play off that strength. Karl Urban is a good actor and was a solid McCoy, but I kept picturing him as the Russian baddie from Bourne or as a warrior in LOTR.

8. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I just wrote my own Star Trek script. Here goes (it's a long read):

Star Trek: Voyeur.
    Actress: Jeri Ryan.
    Composer: John Williams.
    Plot: 90 minute lingerie video.

The end.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Good choices on actors in general, but I kept expecting "Harold" Sulu to light up :)

I didn't know the McCoy actor, so he worked well. Same with the Checkov and Scotty characters. I half expected Spock to cut open Kirk's head with his finger...

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I was surprised they played up the martial arts ability and the katana sword... I was thinking "is Sulu a Power Ranger?!"

11. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    The lens flares were overdone, I agree.

It was 127 minutes which moved fast enough to seem like only 90.

Now everyone who has seen this can remember from the film that since Spock Prime and Nero/Nero's ship went through the black hole and went back in time it created an alternate reality which is significantly different from what anyone who has followed the series is used to. Keep in mind they did have a 'suitable planet' for Vulcans in mind to reinhabit. My theory is they are going to rename that planet Vulcan.

With that said, the movie was a refreshing take on the series. I enjoyed seeing the destroyed Federation ships and the debris floating around... not something you found in TOS, as when things exploded they simply vanished- no debris field. The film also was more intimate with the inner portions of ships, which simply weren't shown in any detail in previous films; much more industrial in appearance than the sanitized offerings of years past.

I do not believe the characters were over-acted. Kirk was nothing like Shatner, and Bones McCoy was spot on.

12. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    IIRC, TOS Sulu was a pretty bad ass swordsman and martial artist.

13. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    The Scotty character was played by guy who plays the leads in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz

BTW: what happened to Kirk's mother? It never said in the film. Had her giving birth to JT Kirk and then nothing.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    There was some mention of her being 'off planet' when he was hotrodding around as a kiddo.

She is a member of Starfleet (yes?), so I'm guessing she's off on duty somewhere. It didn't seem like that was a very tight family.

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #40 Mark(study), May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    Movie was a lot of fun!.... and I'd see it again. Loved the voice-over at the end. Gave me goose-bumps to hear an original cast member do the last voice-over.

NOW FOR THE 3 MOST ANNOYING THINGS ABOUT THE FILM

1) Too many times, in the middle of a super fast-paced battle.... at the last second, the director stops all the action and shifts into super slow-mo mode.... for 5 minutes of close-up on the actors face, and long silent emotional pauses for dramatic effect..

I got tired of shifting gears... Hyper fast action, super slow emotional acting... back and forth, back and forth. (Note to the Director....rent Star Wars, and learn how to pace a action film)

2) Me and my buddy are sitting their at the end, thinking...aren't they worried about that black hole? You know the one right over there!

But Jim and Spock seem surprised when at the last second, they have to create a desperate last second escape....for a problem they got themselves into for no reason....by standing around almost waiting for the ship to get too close to the black hole. LOL

3) Did you notice how many times Jim had to save himself with his fingertips (from falling off of cliffs). I think I counted that trick being used 5 times :(

16. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    And another thing!

When the Romulan mining ship used its tether to melt through the crust of Earth in the SF bay area, since the San Andreas Fault was where the beam was aimed, would it not have triggered massive earthquakes to level San Fran as the beam was in action?

Where did the canyon come from in Iowa, or is it just a mining pit with a new addition of an antique Corvette?

What happened to the green chick? Was she killed when the other ships in the fleet were destroyed while Sulu left the parking brake on?

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, wouldn't digging a hole in an ocean trench defeat the purpose?

18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    We can nitpick and beat it up all day but nothing will change the sheer freaking awesomeness of that film. Im like Mikey and rarely do I like anything these days but that movie blew me away.

Go JJ !

19. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    +1

I enjoyed the show. Yeah sure it has its faults but nothing like movie where they had to "Save The Whales" DEAR LORD !!!!!

Took my boy to see it again today. Noticed when Kirk was introduced to Scotty inside the outpost, sitting next to Scotty on the Table was Tribble in a cage.

JJ did a good job!

;)

20. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I liked it

You had to pay attention when the Mr Spock is speaking on the bridge and tells the crew that they are now in an ALTERNATE REALITY which is why this Trek timeline is different from the 60s TV show

21. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No the Green chick, Gala or Gamma, showed up at the end when Kirk was given his medal

Also near the begining when Kirk & Bones are walking down the steps of the Starfleet Academy did you notice an Aptera drove by ?

22. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Spock explained on the bridge when speaking to the crew after Nero reappeared that they were now in an alternate reality bcus Nero's appearance had modified the timeline which explains why it was different from the 60s show

but then Old Spock would not exist in this new alternate reality :)

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Weak, I would suggest adding some Orion slave girls and some sex cyborgs to spice it up a bit :)

24. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    This isn't a criticism of the film but more of an observation. It is as if they had every cliche thrown into the story from all the Star Trek series and movies. Let's recap:

Time travel: Star Trek 4, Star Trek Generations, Star Trek First Contact, at least two episodes of original Star Trek, several eposides of TNG
    Ice planet: Star Trek 6
    Dumping the core: at least one TNG episode, probably more than that. Do they keep spare cores?
    Mind-altering truth bugs: Star Trek 2
    Bones reminding everyone he is a doctor, not a (fill in blank): Practically every old Star Trek episode
    Kirk ignoring orders: too many to list
    Vulcan mind meld: Star Trek 1, Star Trek 6, probably many more
    Vulcan death grip: many times
    Monster chasing hero only to be eaten by bigger monster: Star Wars Episode 1

25. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    agree, i'm also a cranky old bast ard, need to see this movie .