Star trek!!! *** spoilers *** | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Star trek!!! *** spoilers ***

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 3604u, May 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Saw it Sunday night and it was awesome. Finally JJ Abrams got it right. Would like to see it again.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The scene where the Enterprise comes out of the Atmosphere of Titan w Saturn behind it is AMAZING

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I can not believe that now one here has figured out what an original 1960's Corvette Stingray would be worth in 2300!!!! Kirk's step father must have been the guy that invented Phasers!

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Everyone knows that there is no money in the advanced Roddenberrian Utopia of the future.

5. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    According to TSFS there its.

And very few Stingrays too! (And now one less!)

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    They use "credits" and the Ferengis have Latinum

On the TV show in the 60s the crew seemed to barter for dilithium crystals a lot

7. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I'd be willing to bet both of you have attended at least one Star Trek Convention....

8. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #58 DrStranglove, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    Or worked on one of the shows.

However, in TOS there is a scene where Kirk tells Scotty he has "just earned his pay for the month."

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    2 for me I think :)

I was going to attend a conference for real private space exploration but I think this economy has almost killed it

China will rule space now :(

10. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    LOL. What would you rather ride in, Something made here, or two cheap plastic washing machines bolted onto a rocket?

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    A new one can just be replicated, wait... that makes it (oh noes) a replicar!

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Problem is there wont be ANYTHING made in USA

You either get a Chinese rocket or you get to stay on the Earth

The Chinese Govt had moles in NASA which did a fine job of messing up NASA

13. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    haha.. chinese rockets.. hmm.. i really dont think so.

we have a number of rockets guys in the USA, and European Space Agency and ISRO would deff help the USA.

China rockets.. are mostly technology from the former USSR, Even their kill vehicles.

Imho ofcourse.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    What do you mean "was"?

2009 International Space Development Conference (ISDC) - Orlando, FL, May 28-31

"The International Space Development Conference is the annual conference for the National Space Society and has grown into the largest public space conference of the year. It is a national gathering for space-interested leaders and citizens to connect, re-energize and make plans for the future. It is a national gathering for space-interested leaders and citizens to connect, re-energize and make plans for the future."

http://www.isdc2009.org/

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think space exploration in the USA and EU is very much on the back burner these days thus I'm too depressed about the state of things to go

16. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D

Are you attending this? or anyone here on this board?

17. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  18. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

I'm glad they didn't do that. As it was, I had some trouble with the fact that old and new Spock didn't look anything alike. Pine and Shatner -really- don't share physical types.

19. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Look at your high school pic and look in the mirror as you are now.

Big difference, right? That's only 20 years. Several hundreds of more years, and not so good, you will look.

Pine not looking like Shatner is a good thing. Not acting like him better yet.

20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I was but now have a scheduling conflict.

21. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Economy or not, NASA's budget is a fraction of what it was in the 60's. We've got no money for manned moon or mars missions and neither does any other country.

Beyond all this, there is a systemic infatuation with space and the assumption that resources are unlimited.

22. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    China has $3 Trillion USD in cash + its a few tons of gold + the greatest manufacturing system in the world and has stated the intent of setting up a scientific base on the Moon, and when the Chinese say something there is no voting in Congress, its simply a dictatorship. The leaders say "Do This" and it gets done immediately

Can you explain how exactly resources in space are limited ?

23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #73 ylshih, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    Interesting find; I'm glad they didn't do that. I already think it was way too contrived that all of the old crew ended up back together on the first voyage and that Kirk gets to command the Enterprise as his first assignment without even graduating the academy (if you want to reward an outstanding young cadet, even if he just saved the world, giving him an independent frigate command is plenty, you don't have to give him the fleet flagship).

I also don't think it was necessary for the story that Young Spock believe that he would have that kind of friendship with Young Kirk. IMO the whole point of the alternate reality framework is to take the "canon" in some new directions. One of the distractions with Star Wars 1-3 was that everyone knew that it had to segue into Star Wars 4, since you knew the outcome, that reduced the drama and the movies lost something for that. By creating this new framework, the characters, relationships and events don't have to be the same; which makes it way more interesting.

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, I wonder if they will do a new series now w these characters or if we have to wait a few years for a new movie

I'd love to see a new series w this cast

25. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #75 DGS, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    By contrast, the original series was the exact opposite: cheesy special effects (whoosh! -- in space?), but about half the episodes were written by real actual SF writers.

Read "The Making of Star Trek" by Steven Whitfield. (It was one of the textbooks for a TV production course I took, way back.) It has all sorts of trivia about the SFX and props in TOS. E.g. when they needed a salt shaker for one episode, they went out and got a bunch of stylish stuff that was so "futuristic" that nobody would recognize them as salt shakers. So they used one from the commissary. And then used all those other salt shakers as "instruments" in Doc McCoy's medical kit. ;)

Think of everyone's favorite episodes, and check the writing credits. Harlan Ellison, Robert Bloch, David Gerrold, Robert Silverburg, etc. Writing SF is a specialized field, whether it's for books, TV, or films.

Of course, that was when Star Trek was under Desilu Studios, and Herb Solow kept the NBC brass off "Crazy Gene"'s back.
    When Paramount bought out Desilu, virtually the first thing they did was cancel Star Trek. They just didn't care about it.
    (Until it started making money in syndicated re-runs, that is.)

Paramount is infamous among writers. No established writers want to work with them.

So they generally just have the director or a producer dash off a script. Even for SF.
    So you'll never see anything like the original Trek in the franchise, as long as Paramount controls it.

There are those capable of making good programming. But it's not about quality. TV is about commercials. Movies are about product placement and quick profits. The industry isn't looking for the sophisticated, selective viewers. They want the predictable, unthinking masses who will shell out their money without asking questions.
    Look how fast Fox killed off "Firefly".

---
    Live long and prostate. ;)