StartedFromTheBottom - A Warning to Others | Page 5 | FerrariChat

StartedFromTheBottom - A Warning to Others

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jasonberkeley, Oct 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thank you.

Marcel Massini

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Great question and analysis.

However, consider the OP is complaining about not receiving originals. He has received copies of the papers Carlo sent.....and a limited CV. It is unlikely that these items are just fakes which makes the likelihood of a Peter existing to be far more probable. I can appreciate Carlo protecting an information and possibly a parts source from others. What I don't understand is why he just doesn't refund Jason's money and stop the trainwreck.

Further, Peter Reinisch did manage the Brun Motor Sport team and played a significant role in shaping racing in the mid 80s including a World Championship in 1986 for Porsche. Whether he came up with the idea of a Challenge Race Series in 1993 is up for grabs ......but in the absence of another claim.....I have no reason to doubt it. I will also add that lots of people claim credit for the ideas I have had in my lifetime. So it is possible that Peter made a claim to Carlo which is not 100% accurate when it comes to the Ferrari Challenge Series. After all .......Porsche guys make stuff up all the time.:)

In 10 minutes I found 8 addresses for Peter Reinisch in Germany. I would put him around 75 so this guy is not feeble by any means.

anunakki, 308 milano and BOKE like this.
  3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Used to date a girl years ago that was related to the family who owns Zeiss lens manufacturing in Germany. She told me her relatives said they were required to take English, Italian, French Language in school. Hum. Just took it for granted all these years that I was an exceptionally well rounded slacker.

INRange likes this.
  4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You're right, I overlooked that Jason had posted Peter's full name as Peter Reinisch in the screenshots (not searchable).

Peter Reinisch gave an hour interview to a German motorsports podcast on Pitwalk this September 5, 2019:

https://www.pitwalk.de/pitcast/the-big-one/als-ob-ein-held-in-den-himmel-auffahrt

So Peter Reinisch is a real person, once team manager of Brun Motorsports, and still active in the motorsports community to some extent.

anunakki likes this.
  5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think a big question is : on what authority did Carlo have to represent Peter?

Matt

daytona355 and anunakki like this.
  6. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    It is starting to feel like Carlo thought he could sell his Peter's story and represented it one way and in reality it did not meet Jason's expectations. Perhaps Peter had second thoughts about making a public claim that he invented the Ferrari Challenge Series or the concept. It is a stretch to believe a life-long Porsche guy would come up with something for another manufacturer.

I'm not sure that Peter's story is worth anything without coorberation. My German isn't very good but Peter seems legit on the interview posted by Yin. He doesn't sound old and feeble....at all.

So what we are left with is a story....that might have had some value that Carlo sold to Jason. Jason doesn't want it and wants his money back. My guess is that Carlo is not going to ask Peter for the money back and Carlo is "too busy" to consider the business consequences.

There is an outside chance that Peter will send the originals through Carlo at some point but Jason probably has enough in hand to realize he was sold a sketchy story....not an exclusive.

7. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    I didn't know people paid for stuff like this

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AshAP and kes7u like this.
  8. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think what Marcel is saying is along the lines of that there is no reliable independent third party to corroborate/support this claim; as far as I can tell there isn't any. What's interesting is that no one reports to have had a bad experience with this seller, at least until now.
    Either way this thread has made the documents which our fellow forum member paid for more valuable... If they exist.

daytona355 likes this.
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Including Jason the complaintant. He said he had bought “a number” of 348 Challenge related stuff from Carlo before this complaint.

And P_RSR claims to have done $10k in business with Carlo, all successfully.

However, Jason set his strangely specific expectations in the PM he emphasized with red vertical slashes on post 23 of this thread. He wanted 64 pages from Peter, a very specific request. Again, why Jason didn’t deal with Peter directly (or someone closer to Peter) is questionable, but Jason had already successfully bought items from Carlo before.

And yet Carlo really didn’t help his position with this snarky early reply:
    I think that Jerry’s analysis above is spot on. These are both difficult people.

Matt

daytona355 and anunakki like this.
  10. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #110 Jasonberkeley, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    The 64 pages are what Carlo told me the length of the original rules documents were.

In order to prevent exactly what has happened, i wanted it agreed to in advance EXACTLY what I was buying. This prevents confusion down the road, especially for something that is a less than traditional purchase of a single item or part.

I was never given access to Peter, and had no reason not to trust Carlo at the outset given that I had purchased a number of items from Carlo previously. Obviously in hindsight, a mistake on my part.

I dont get how I can be construed as 'being difficult' when:
    A. I set out a very specific list of what I was to reveive in exchange for the agreed upon price based on what Carlo had told me there was.
    B. The seller and the 'agent' both agree to the list of what was to be provided
    C. I am originally given a general time frame, which comes and goes without receiving communication from either the seller or his agent. Then given new time frames which come and go, also without communication. Now I am getting frustrated as it has been months. Not sure anyone on here wouldnt feel the same...
    D. Finally, they ship and I receive items that are not as was agreed to. copies instead of originals. No CV. No story with the details of the specific series of events that Carlo had outlined when he offered the documents and they agreed to provide.
    E. I am told, now more than two and a half months ago, 'sorry, we'll actually send what was agreed to.' And they still havent
    F. I ask for a refund as it has been too many months with no communication explaining timing, and they refuse to even acknowledge in any of the communications my request for a refund.

If any of you on here bought and item for $100, forget $1300, and the above happened, and you didnt receive within one month, forget four months, and the seller wouldnt commit to a delivery date or acknowledge your request to refund your money, how would you respond?

The seller's agent says, 'how long would it take you write your life story?' Nonsense. Its a CV from his time in racing, and the details of a single event in this man's life. People right lengthy graduate degree thesis' in less time than this. 5th graders write long research papers in two weeks. This should not be a multi-month effort. Forget heading towards five months now.

If there was a concern from either Carlo or Peter that what was agreed to wasnt true (in terms of the story of inventing the concept for the series), and they were getting cold feet, I provided them with an easy out in terms of the refund that they refuse to even acknowledge has been offered.

showme1946 and daytona355 like this.
  11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #111 Jasonberkeley, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Lastly, please keep in mind that I told Carlo, months after having paid him, after he repeatedly ignored my repeated requests for a refund or to commit to provide the agreed upon items by a given date, that he was leaving me with no choice but to approach the admins and moderators of FChat (in private) to attempt to resolve.

Rob Lay stated that my only option was to make a public post (as has now been done).

I told Carlo that I went to the admins and moderators, and that they recommended going public. I said I would really prefer not to turn this into a public fiasco, and would prefer to resolve in private. He told me to "go ahead if that gives you peace" and refused to respond to the refund request or provide a date to ship everything.

I post the actual exchanges and he calls me names, and still refuses to deal with the situation.

I publicly and privately state that I will accept a discounted refund to end this. 200 Euro discounted from the 1100 Euro paid. He has completely ignored this offer.

I privately offer to deal with Peter directly if he would give me his contact info. He has completely ignored this request as well.

As an FYI, I have been collecting as much original 348 Challenge series documentation as I can find since acquiring one of the cars. I thought that the series of documents that Carlo had offered would be a very cool, rare opportunity to actually obtain the draft rules, with hand-written notes from the "originator" of the series. Someone who was a respected individual in European motorsport, and who could validate the documents by writing the story of what happened and provide his CV to show that this was all from a key player in 1980s and early 90s sports car racing world. I still feel that way...

12. Marco Polo

Marco Polo Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    Cheshire, UK
    It seems to me from the article in Pitwalk (I used Google to translate it from the link provided by Yin) that Peter Reinisch has a reasonably prominent name in the sport in Germany - a name that he would not wish to be tarnished by being implicated in this dispute, which he may not even be aware of. Surely the publishers of Pitwalk would have his contact details? They may not be willing to give them to Jason directly, for data protection reasons, but I would have thought the publishers could pass on a message if the reason could be explained to them with reference perhaps to this thread. My experience of doing business in Germany over many years, is that most people have a grasp of simple English particularly those like Herr Reinisch who would be, I imagine, of more than average intelligence and experience. Likewise, people of his generation and position in society have a greater sense of correctness than most - I think any implication of wrong-doing would not sit well with him.

Marco

daytona355, AshAP and 308 milano like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Jason

Check your PM's (conversations).

Marcel Massini

14. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    dear sirs :

i have in my possession a box of early ferrari 355 challenge material. many early pics, factory communique, blue prints, invoices, etc

if interested, please wire $1,500 to my account

SWIFT # CITINGLATRD

Bank Nigeria

Acct # 358-789-5589

for prompt delivery

15. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've heard about these guys! These Nigerians always get hold of the coolest stuff! I'm stuck at work today, but I'm hoping nobody beats me to this.

(P.S. I also have some easy money coming in soon, because I was offered a huge sum of money to help another Nigerian move some money around. Thinking about another Ferrari when that comes in!)

Kevin

technom3 likes this.
  16. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    My money is on Marcel......he has a demonstrated knowledge of everything related to Ferrari's history.

daytona355 likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wow, all this for 200 euros? That's all I needed to hear. I think at this point its not the money, but principle. I spent that at breakfast yesterday. @StartedFromTheBottom , just give him the 200 euros and be done with it. That's what I would have done before this blew up.

Something tells me you won't now as damage is done.

Penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind.

AshAP likes this.
  18. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    No, it is over 1100 Euro, or about $1300. I offered a 200 Euro discount, so 900 Euro. Sorry if my earlier post wasn't clear!

However he hasnt responded...

daytona355, technom3 and paulchua like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ah I see, sorry for my error. Thanks for the clarification.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Perhaps the solution then presents itself in clear view. You paid 1,300, split the cost and move on 650. I'm sure nobody will be happy, sometimes that's how you know it's the only solution.

21. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    StartedFromTheBottom said:
    Thanks for the kind words Jason but this is long gone to a happy owner!

This has been nagging at me for a while......I wonder if it is possible he was paid by a couple of people around the same time like the Opus thread and gave the material to a higher bidder. By his own words he says the documents are "long gone to a happy owner". Then the delays, obfuscation, blaming Jason, not revealing Peter's contact info all fit together. If contacted, Peter would say: "I sent all those documents to Carlo". In the Opus thread the middle man went to great lengths to delay and avoid paying a refund for a much greater sum because he didn't have the product and had spent the money.

Perhaps it was a snarky comment or it was the truth. If it was the truth.....Peter got Jason's money and Carlo got someone else to pay him directly. Either way......the next stop on the train is to run down Peter. For a $1,000 and because I don't like people who don't keep their business promises I would find him and get the answer.

daytona355 and AshAP like this.
  22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    That quote refers to another item. Jason was spamming his complaint across a few of Carlos threads for other items for sale. Carlos responded to Jason that particular item (on the ad for that item) had already sold, he wasn't talking about the Challenge documents.

As far as I could tell, the Challenge documents offered to Jason were never publicly advertised here, otherwise, I would have consolidated the complaint spam onto that thread. Because there was no such thread, I moved all of the irrelevant complaints (irrelevant in so far as to the threads they were posted on) to this thread.

23. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Thanks.....we will see what happens next......I just don't understand people like this.

24. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    No- not for receiving nothing
    Correct.

daytona355 likes this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Jason, sorry for my confusion, I thought you said you received non-original facsimiles? Thanks and look forward to the clarification.
    Cheers