starter motor problem | FerrariChat

starter motor problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by paul b, Oct 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paul b

paul b Rookie

Oct 11, 2005
    I have a 1985 mondial and seem to have problem with the starter motor, I have had it reconditioned twice but it still seems to have a problem. when I take the starter motor off and replace it, it starts but after that it won't start until i remove/replace it again.

Is there a relay on the starter wiring - can anybody offer any advice as to what to do next? Thanks

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Sounds like the solenoid gear is getting caught in the ring gear. Does it crank in the failure mode? Did you look at the teeth? Are you sure it's mounted correctly?

Ken

3. paul b

paul b Rookie

Oct 11, 2005
    Hi,
    it doesn't crank at all, there is no sound from the motor, ignition light dims stating starter motor problems. is there a relay on the actual wiring or fuse box? when I remove the starter motor and have it checked over, and put it back on, it works. if i turn the engine on it will fire up. if i turn it off and leave it it will fire up again but i noticed when the engine is hot, it will not fire up. Could it need a new selanoid? thank you

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Most likely "yes", and replacing the solenoid would be a reasonable action to take IMO, but that should have been included in your prior "reconditionings" -- wasn't it? Many of us mid-'80 to early-'90 model Owners have reported a similar symptom of no-hot-restart although cold starting always works well, and the fix was a new, non-Bosch solenoid, but your location may not make that practical -- where are you?

In the stock form, there is no relay involved in firing the starter solenoid, but it seems to be a common "fix" so many cars from that era have been modified.

5. paul b

paul b Rookie

Oct 11, 2005
    thanks will give that a try

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would replace with a new solenoid first, before trying the "work around" with the relay....