Starting a company in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ralph K, May 10, 2012.

  1. ATTENTION: http/https Bug Fix! Most of us have been experiencing problems staying logged in as we navigate the site. That is simply the result of links varying between http and https, which each require different logons. To resolve we are going to force https starting sometime Wednesday. However, you may have problems accessing FerrariChat until after you log out, clear cookies/browser cache, and log back on. Keep in mind my email is if you do have access problems after Wednesday. Thanks!
  1. Ralph K

    Ralph K Formula Junior

    Sep 18, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ralph K
    Hi guys,

    I want to start doing business as a sole trader in the UK. I tried registering with Companies House's online service but I only have the option to select partnership type businesses. I have tried to get more info on the website but it is not very clear so I have a couple of questions and I hope some of you here might be able to help.

    Do you have to register with companies house as a sole trader?

    Are there any restrictions on what type of activities I can as a sole trader?

  2. 458beast

    458beast Formula Junior

    Oct 12, 2011
    Full Name:

    You have to talk to revenue and customs for tax and register your name, logo and everything along with what type of ownership it is, is it plc, ltd ect ect.
  3. andyww

    andyww F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

    Feb 7, 2011
    I ran as a sole trader for many years until going to limited a couple of years ago.

    Actually starting a sole trader type of business in the UK is really easy, probably one of the easiest countries in the world to do it in.

    All you have to do is fill in a form for HMRC. Thats it. You dont need to tell Companies House or anyone else.
  4. pride & performance

    Feb 16, 2010
    Full Name:
    Nic Payne
    you can also start up and run for 12 months before you need to tell anyone,

    then you need to do your first tax return so will need to inform the tax man etc,

Share This Page