State of the Ferrari/exotic market | Page 2 | FerrariChat

State of the Ferrari/exotic market

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tbakowsky, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I am glad the speculators and investors are not in the Ferrari market, I remember in the late 80s watching prices skyrocket on Ferraris and thinking I missed my chance not that I had any money but I thought I could never afford one with the high prices asking for them, It was also great watching the speculators getting burned after the crash in prices, I remember one guy someone famous that was allowing a voluntary repo on his Testarossa he had parked in his lobby that he paid over $300k for and was worth $80k at the time.

I don't get the American Iron thing either, I had all those cars as a teenager and I thought they were okay then but nothing great compared to the quality of cars such as Porsche 911 or Ferrari, it is also so easy to manipulate the originality of the cars, you could buy a wrecked 71 Cuda at a junk yard 10years ago and replaced it with original parts and have a matching number car, something you couldn't do so easily with a Ferrari.

2. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    indeed there were only 18 Ferraris listed and not many in the crowd that appeared interested. The main interest is where the money went. I did not enjoy the auction, nor the poor presentation of the Ferraris that were offered. They did not fetch big bucks, but then again, the bidders were not interested in Ferraris, it seemed. As oner said after winning another overpriced "muscle car", it will continuie to appreciate...yes that is what they said about the Ferraris in the late eightees.....funny how history repeats itself...

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    BJ is a "Ferrari" sort of place. Wrong venue, wrong auction company, wrong marketing and definitely the wrong crowd. The BJ buyers are middle aged American males who have gotten rich owning a bulldozer company. They want hotrods and muscle cars. A Ferrari is nothing but a "Furrin" car.

If I wanted to buy or sell a Ferrari at auction... I would go to a Bonhams or RM auction. Not BJ or Kruse. They just cater to a totally different market..... and why not? They do great in their markets. I really dont understand why anyone would register a Ferrari to sell at BJ.

Many of the sales at this auction were nothing more than ego. Guys just totally unwilling to be a "loser" on national TV. BJ are masters at bringing this out and milking it. If I had a Camaro to sell.... it would be at BJ no doubt!

Guys talking about the BJ results impact on the Ferrari market or it showing some weakness in the market.... nonsense. It has nothing to do with the market for any foreign cars really. BJ is BJ. Its not reality. Good Camaro Z28s can still be bought for $35K. Just because some moron at BJ paid $112K..... that does not mean anyone else out there is going too.

Terry

4. richanton

richanton Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I couldn't believe how much money those custom rods were bringing. When I saw that 55 Chevy do over $200,000 I was in shock. I have a 55 Chevy prostreet, and although mine is no where near the one that brought 200K, mine is still very nice. I am sure everyone who is holding old american muscle is very excited after watching that auction. I am seriously considering bringing my chevy to the Barrett Jackson Palm Beach in March.

The musclecars that brought big money were all low production, special option cars. They were not run of the mill chevys and vettes.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    A few thoughts. The cost to make a custom car or hot rod is way more than you think. There are hot rods being built today that will wind up costing a million $ to build. A major F car restoration can run that much as well. The buyer is never wrong. Auctions are the place to find out what things are really worth on that day. This is what buyers paid today. The F cars listed,except for the 51, are not collector cars, they are used cars. None of them are interesting to collectors. That's what they are worth.

6. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Let me sum up all these comments this way:

'It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it'

7. ragtop

ragtop Rookie

Feb 9, 2003
    I think Tspringer summed it up very well. American Iron is in vogue right now. Its a combination of a lot of things likely including reactions to 'the Fast and the Furious' import culture, 9/11, and most of the programming on SpikeTV, TLC, and the Discovery Channel. Additionally, the guys buying were all of the generation that saw the emergence of Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes as objects of automotive national pride. This is the same reason that pre-war cars were fetching such low prices. For this crowd, a pristine Z-28 is much more an object of desire than a 330.

Seems like it might be a good time to buy a Ferrari.

...and respond to Ksullender... an object is worth what someone other than the owner is willing to pay for it at the time the owner is willing to sell it. The thing about an auction is that if you buy something, you are likely to be the person that thinks it is worth more than anyone else does. I just hope the buyer of that $400K Lincoln gets a lot of 'joy of ownership' out of it because it will likely never sell for that much again.