Steering Column Cover Removal | FerrariChat

Steering Column Cover Removal

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by curtisc63, Sep 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Has anyone removed the lower steering column cover? The two visible screws are straight forward. Removed leater covered panel as well looking for more fixing items. The parts manual shows a third screw on the upper back driver's side. however, with the best contortionist moves I know and the use of every dental/parts mirror work light combination I have I can not find/see it. Does the wheel have to come off to remove everything in front of it? The last thing I want to do is break off a tab somewhere and introduce a rattle or something worse - like having to replace the cover - I do not imagine that is cheap or readily available. Any one out there had this apart?

Thanks in advance.

CC

2. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I want to get my washer working from the sterring column stalk. The wipers are fine, the pump is fine. I am hoping for a dirty switch that a good cleaning will fix. I am hoping that just pulling the covers off (if possible) will give me access. Or must I remove the wheel and everything in front of the switch to get the covers off?

Any help is appreciated.

CC

3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Sorry to say, ya gotta remove the wheel.

First, remove the horn button and ring. I hope you have the tool for removing the hub. You might want to remove the allen screws on the actual steering wheel for more clearance.
    After removing the hub, you will see 3 screws holding the horn ring. Remove those and then you can remove the 2 screws from the bottom of the column. I assume you've already removed the leather piece under the column. Don't forget the leather piece under the gauge cluster (one screw).

With the leather removed, the column will split in two and will give you access to the stalk assembly. I hate to tell you but the assembly is not screwed together but fastened by a few copper rivets. You can remove the rivets and re-rivet it back.

It's worth a try as a new stalk unit is $ 1200.00 from your local friendly F pimp.

I hope this helps.

Yes, I've done this before.....the typical headlight stalk plastic "cam" switch repair. :)

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

BTW, I forgot to mention....

The reason I went into removing the wheel and hub is that the column plastic tucks into the steering wheel hub. You won't be able to split apart the column plastic without the removal of the hub.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

5. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Thanks for the information. I appreciate your experience. I guess it will be more of a job than anticipated. It just appears that it does not go into the hub that far and removal should be possible without wheel removal.

Anybody else have any experience on this? Are Shamile and I the only ones to have issues with the controls?

CC

6. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #6 kerrywittig, Sep 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL:

Here is some info of an "economical" way that you can use to remove the steering wheel hub and nut from your TR and possibly other F-Cars. I just did this 4 days ago................

First, if you need a puller to remove the wheel, call or visit your local Advanced Auto Parts store, http://advanceauto.know-where.com/advance-auto-parts/ (AutoZone and others probably have the same item) and "borrow" it for a $22 deposit, which they refund when you return it or you can keep the puller and you now own a puller for $22, the appropriate puller, which comes in an attractive protective plastic storage case with a variety of bolts and fixtures. It is part #648645 and/or Kit #14. It is the proper puller with one draw back..............It does not have the appropriate bolts with the proper thread pitch that you will need. I do NOT know what the correct size and pitch would be, but because I have a large selection of used bolts on hand I found the correct ones. Maybe someone will chime in with that info. Any way you can get them at any hardware store for about a dollar each at most.

Next.......... as far as the socket that is required to remove the steering wheel nut................make it for $3.
    I made mine from a $2, Made In Taiwan, 7/8" six point socket, 1/2" drive and 15 minutes with a die grinder (cutting wheel for die grinder $1, ie. the $3 total is arrved at..... $2 socket + $1 cutting wheel = $3)......Here is a pix. The fabrication isn't pretty, but the results are fine, and will save you $80 for the Baum socket and $100 to OWN the puller. If your pulling off TR steering wheels on a daily basis, yeah buy the socket and puller. But hey for $3 you now have the socket and "borrow" a puller, that leaves you $173 dollars to buy a stainless steel heat shield or an aluminum spoiler skid plate for your TR from...............ME.........Hope this is helpful...............Kerry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

peteficarra likes this.
  7. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    And quite innovative, in a shade tree kind of way. And that is meant with ALL due respect. Kerry I for one enjoy your approach to ownership and Fcar guardianship - after all, do we ever really own these cars??? I look at it as borrowing a great peice of artwork from society and using for your own personal enjoyment.

Until the darn thing needs worked on again...;^ p
    CC

8. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    I'm having big trouble removing the Momo Hub on my Mondial T also. It just wont come off. PB blaster soaked it. 4-fingered puller and its giving me the middle finger. Already bending hub and stripping holes. I've tried reversing the screws and placing nuts on the back of them with no luck. My threaded puller dowel literally stopped threading as I turned it. Any other ideas? Thx

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    take a stronger puller - and good luck