Steering rack wanted? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Steering rack wanted?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by adesalos, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "I live in nw AR close to Eureka Springs"

I still have flashbacks of Willie Nelson playing at Don Tyson's birthday party
    years back. That was the last time I was in Eureka Springs.
    I need to get back up there, it is a beautiful place when the tourists are away...

Sorry to here that Ferrari-UK is out of stock on this item,
    as they seem to have a good selection of parts, at reasonable prices.

On a side note, and this is no reflection on Ferrari-UK or any other business,
    When I need a part that I don't already have stashed away,
    I have resigned myself to hunting in the USA first,
    as receiving some items through US customs is a real ***** now.
    Any item marked as rubber, or seal, for example are targeted at customs.
    So things like gasket sets, camshaft seals and the like are best purchased in the US if that is where you are located.

2. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    what are the symptoms which led you to the decision that you needed a new/recon rack ?

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Bloating and Irritability... ;)

4. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    not sure what that means on this side of the water, but i had terrible problems with steering......i eventually changed the front tyres, with obviously correct pressures, and simply adjusted the toe in from parallel to 1mm per side (negative) .....castor and camber were reset as per factory (as were the rears).
    The difference was incredible !
    d

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I did my 246 rack (which I think is the same as a 308) using a fiat steering rack bushing. I reduced the outer diameter slightly so it would push in without deforming and it snapped right in. The inner diameter was spot on. The original looked like it was made of phenolic material that disintegrated. The fiat bushing is some type of plastic. Be careful where you clamp the rack to take off the steering arms as you want the area that rides on the bushing to be free of clamp marks. Soft jaws or wood (paint sticks) on the clamped area should protect it. I think I did a little write-up of the whole process if you search the archives.

6. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    Sorry guys for not following up quicker...
    my mechanic showed me that the rod on the right side isn't tight any more, and this would explain why at a certain steering turn I have some king of clunck noise. Not sure how to explain it (he told me some pieces are worn out inside the steering boot), but he recommend to replace or rebuid it since all suspensions are out for rebuild (new shocks, bushings, A arm powder coated...). Since I am not sure of the rebuild quality in general, I would tend to go for a new one.

I will take pictures when I go to the shop tomorrow.

BTW, everytime I see him, there is more to do. Now I have the water pump, the whole A/C system, and the outer bearing for the belt shafts. He even want to take the engine out to re-seal the gearbox to the engine (sealant seal), if " I want the whole thing top notch'. In any case we are close to it after all parts removed. Also, I will have the radiator flushed out (bet this will turn into a radiator replacement), radiator fans replaced with aftermarket, emission system cleaned...

7. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    While working on the front suspension of my 77gtb, I manually moved the tires from left to right, (with the tires off the ground) and noticed a pronounced unevenness or roughness as the tires turned from left to right. Is this an indication of a bad rack?

dazed and confused

chris