Steering wheel Adjustment Question - Shaft spline nut | FerrariChat

Steering wheel Adjustment Question - Shaft spline nut

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Apr 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    For the first time since I have owned my 328 - purchased in '08 - , I decided I wanted to adjust the steering wheel, which I did but here's my question (eventually):

The big nut on the shaft where the splines enter the shaft, though snug, was NOT tight enough to lock the shaft/splines. The well-greased splines easily slid in/out after loosening the two bolts/nuts under the dash and moving the wheel up/down. SO...since I had never fooled with this before, I don't know if the sliding shaft/splines was by original design for the '89 or whether someone in the past adjusted the steering position and either intentionally or by mistake, failed to tighten the spline nut. There is no play in the system and frankly, it looks to me like perhaps it's supposed to be able to slide and the nut is there to simply reduce the amount of sliding clearance to the minimum necessary amount. But everything I have seen in the past talks about tightening that nut to lock the shaft/splines. There is nothing in the owners manual about this that I can find...

Is it supposed to be tight so that it cannot slide or is it supposed to be able to slide?

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Mine was too bloody tight - took me hours and lots of improvised levers to loosen the bloody thing! Just nip it up and you'll be fine. It's probably meant to collapse to avoid going through your chest in an accident.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've tried everything I can think of to turn the dammed thing. Mine is so tight that neither pb oil, a wrench, nor a blowtorch (seriously), nor rare hate assist in loosening the nut. Not to mention the physical contortion required.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well, mine seemed tight as far as putting a wrench on it but the splines still slide in/out. Shouldn't they be that way normally? That's my original question - seems to me like sliding in/out is what they are supposed to do. No? IOW, even though the nut is tight, have you tried moving the wheel up/down to see if the splines will slide? Maybe over the years the splines seize up due to old/lack of lube. Does anyone know how it worked on a new 3x8 - did the shaft splines slide or were they locked in position?

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Mine does not slide with only the 2 "adjustment nuts" removed.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    This was/is Rifledriver's previous comment on the relative "tightness" of a new vehicle:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/143380148/
    (So tight enough to remove all play, but not much more.)

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks Steve (and RifleD), that's a double-plus good answer! It answers the question AND makes me happy that my supposition - that it was NOT originally "locked in place" but was meant to slide from the factory - was correct! :) :)

8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I honestly can't remember what I did to loosen mine, but I did notice that it was centre punched, which would make sense if it was meant to remove slack but still allow a sliding movement. Have a look at yours and see. In the end it took me several goes over a few days