Steering wheel leather | FerrariChat

Steering wheel leather

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by nevpugh68, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    The black leather steering wheel on my 308GTS is starting to go matt in a few places (where my hands go basically) ... it's like the black shiny leather surface is coming off ...

Any recommendations for how to bring the shine back (permanently) ? Leather cleaner (e.g. Autoglym) doesn't make any difference.

Cheers !

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Buy a new wheel from Ferrari UK while they still have them(?).

I bought one for my 328, cost around $280 delivered. Came with a new hub adapter and horn button. Sold the horn button and used wheel on Ebay, the hub locally. The new wheel ended up costing me about $105, when all is said and done! Well worth the effort.

3. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Black leather is probably the easiest to re-finish.
    I would try first a little "Magic Scuff" from the shoe care dept. at the local drug-store.
    Warning!!! The stuff is water like consistency so make absolutely sure you either remove the steering wheel or protect the floor (and all the places it could go) with plastic, towels tec.

The small plastic bottle comes with a sponge applicator. Do "prime" it on a piece of paper first so you do not need to squeeze the bottle during application.
    It will leave a thin, hard finish on the leather. (I think the name is actually "Scuff Magic" but it work exactly the same...

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    1) Good old fashioned black paste shoe polish, occasionally refreshed.
    2) Leatherique prestine clean followed by their black leather dye.

5. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    You can try Alan Gun Leather in Florida, they restore wheels/leather,aglausa.com But for what Ferrari UK are asking for a new wheel, your better off.

6. nevpugh68

nevpugh68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ashby de la Zouch, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    Just to finish off this thread, for anyone looking for a similar answer in future ....

I bought and used Glyptone's Scuffmaster Colourwash in Satin black (http://www.liquidleather.com/scuffs.htm).

Absolutely brilliant ! Several thin coats over the course of a few days, and the damaged areas now look as good as new ... seriously, you can't tell where the "rubbed off" black was. Mightily impressed and a happy bunny :)

http://www.fugazi.co.uk/images/wheel.JPG

7. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    you can get a new one for about $150...check around..they are made in italy but don't say Momo on them. Exact in all details except the momo name. I purchased mine from a gentleman in Germany off of e-bay.

8. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Would you happen to have any more info regarding this?

re: FerrariUK. As far as I know they do not have the 308GTS steering wheel. Would be great if they do.

9. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    I bought mine from an ebayer who goes buy the handle of Veloce101. I can't find the box, but he is in germany..if you search ebay by user you can e-mail him.

I would also check with Jaques at maserati source..he currently has the early 308/246 wheel available for about $150..it is the momo with holes in it...looks the same as the 78-79 except with holes. If he doesn't have it I'm sure he can get it his e-mail is [email protected]