Stem Cell Research | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stem Cell Research

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Texas Forever, Mar 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Prediction: sometime this year 2004 or next year 2005, some scientist will anounce the first life form with a set of genes picked by the scientist.

Prediction: within 10 years, scientists/doctors will be able to create life forms from individual genes (hundreds of molecules) and sew those genes into strands of DNA (both nuclear and mitochondrial) (tens of thousands of moelcules).

Prediction: within 15 years, scientists/doctors will be able to manufacture cellular organelles at will and construct new forms of life.

Prediction: within 20 years, scientists/doctors will be able to manufacture any kind of living matter they need. At this point, they can build their own stem cells if needed.

The only question is: do you want those scientists working in the USoA or elsewhere?

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Here is the problem.

Knowledge, I think we can all agree, is good. It is also a tool. It has to be used. How it is used is another issue.

Take, for instance, a knife. It can be used to cut your steak, a good use. It can also be used to kill a human, a bad use. Knowledge is just a tool, and it is up to us or society how it is used.

So, who deterimines how knowledge is used, or sets limits on its use (morals?)? Not scientists, we can't and ought not. And, I certainly wouldn't want our politicians to control its use. It used to be that Religion could set limits, but nowadays, nobody seems to take religious authority seriously. That is where the problem lies.

Although the search for knowlede is good, we seem to have a problem in how to set limits or use this knowledge. Until we as a society can determine this, then knowledge will be abused.

With regard to your greedy corporations: Well, lets face it, all corporations exist for one purpose, and that is to make money. However, corporations are run by people. I would like to believe that somewhere at the top are people who would like to help mankind, in addition to making gobs of money. Therefore, you really have to take these conspiracy theories with a grain of salt. Remember, the people making these "anti-greedy corporation" documentaries are out to make money also, and they have to put a spin on their theories so that people will buy into it.

Dom

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dom, you are getting dangerously close to where it's it today. Even a cursory study of history will show that modern cultures developed under a rule of God. Some went with that God. Some went this God, but all highly developed cultures were ruled by religion.

Today, for better or worse, we live under a rule of laws. Even though the real concern of the framers of the consititution was to make sure that the Pope didn't take over our then young country, the result has been an obession in keeping religion out of our rule of law.

What's the difference? A rule of God tends to be absolute. Thou shall not....

A rule of law is elastic. It changes over time.

The key will be how the rule of law keeps pace with the develoment of technology. Because laws tend to be irrational and science tends to be rational, the prognsois doesn't look good. We shall see, eh?

DrTax

4. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I believe that stem-cell research will have enormous effects on the medical industry once more money gets spent on it.

For those stock investors who are interested in investing in stem-cell companies, check out PLRS. I am sure many other people can name other companies in this industry.

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Interesting point, DrTax. So what if you don't believe in god? Is there some other form of absolute rule? The golden rule?

The problem I find with rules of laws, is that they are generally formed to keep "the other guy" from doing something you don't like. Nobody ever says, lets make a law to keep me from.... It's always, lets make a law to keep others from doing this or that.

I read somewhere else where someone suggested we create a moratorium on new laws for the next couple of years. I think we might find that everything still runs, and perhaps that the politicians are truly useless. But, I'm digressing now.

P.S.- Best wishes for your father in law, Drtax.

Dom

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And that is exactly the problem Mitch that I have. Even though a scientist/doctor can create the stem cell it is still the building block of a NEW life. Should that scientist/doctor be able to choose the fate that that new life has?

Nobody should have that power, nobody!. That is like somebody coming up to you and saying, sorry Mitch but we have determined that your organs are more useful to other people than they are to you, thus you will be terminated for the 'greater' good of mankind.

While this is very close to a religious argument/debate it really does not need religion to help us with the guide lines. Common sense and respect for ALL others is all that is needed, and creating stem cells for the survival of others is just plain selfish and revolting.

Regarding Dom's comment:

Hmmm does it have to be used. Knowledge about something should also empower you to make a decision not to use it. The problem is there is always some unethical person who doesn't care, he just cannot stop himself playing with the excitement of discovery.

Look what happened when the Kiwi split the atom. Would the world be a better place if he had not done this, and if all scientists (who would have understood the energy possibilities) agreed no longer to move this field further forward.

Look what happened many many years ago when gun powder was created. I believe the inventor commited suicide ... and admitted that he just could not help himself even though he knew is was a horrible thing he was creating.

Now in the end humans will always manage to find ways to harm each other ... we are good at that unfortunately, but should science continually make it easier. Lets face it breeding stem cells is the ultimate form of that, ie. you are choosing to terminate a life for another ... just like war does.

It is an interesting discussion and I return to the cloning of Humans. Most of the world has decided (for the present) that this is a no no. So scientists faced with this restriction simply relocate to a country that is yet to make the same decision. Again you cannot trust ALL scientists and researchers because they are chasing a dream, and it is a powerful dream for them.

Regarding the documentaries Dom, yes I can see your point, but you might find this amazing, just as there are scientists that truly believe that their work is helping mankind there are also people that believe they need to tell the rest of us the real story. Most of these documentaries are funded by stations like the ABC who in Australia are government funded.

Whether it is filmed to make money or not, the story is scary. Especially the wonderful BS about genetically modified food. The wonderful scientists have managed to create a plant that will breed with normal plants and ensure that the next generation is sterile.

Just imagine the impact of that plant been accidentally (on purpose ;)) spreading to third world countries ... devastating!.

Just imagine the impact of some young keen scientist accidentally destroying whatever these seed making companies have for creating the new strand of plant (or the only original left) ... just imagine slowly over the years our wheat crops reduce as we struggle to recreate (in the labs) the right formula.

One thing I am certain of, we humans will eventually find a way of completely destroying ourselves, because we just cannot help but continue to explore. When this is I do not know but we are no where near as clever as we think, because who stops us to make us think that everything we have done so far, and will do soon, is actually in the right direction ... nobody does and nobody can. We simply advance (?) for advancements sake, simply because our brain needs to be fueled.

Pete