Stepneygate emails - how it all happened | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stepneygate emails - how it all happened

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tifosi12, Oct 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    wow...thsi is really serious. i can't believe they're still allowed to race in Brazil.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bernie has no say in this and Mad Max already spoke about it: His view too is that they shouldn't be allowed to run anymore, but the FIA gave immunity to the drivers for their testimonies without which you wouldn't have a second WMSC hearing in the first place.

Most likely a McLaren driver will bag the title and that's what history records. We'll have the right to think otherwise.

3. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Sure does seem so!!!

During all this drama and mystery, I have not seen or heard Michael Schumacher's, thoughts and discussion, of the whole deal. I would be interested in his opinion of the WDC situation, in it's entire saga. Has there been anything written or an interview of it?

Ciao...Paolo

4. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Stepney has stated that the exchange between him and Coughlan went both ways. He's specificaly stated that he gave McLaren info to Ferrari (he was working both sides). He's said he gave Ferrari McLaren pitstop stragegy and McLaren weight distribution. He also states he got other aspects of the McLaren from him. Apparently the exchange was a "I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=33033

I don't think this is over yet...

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Haven't come across that yet. However BusinessF1 does mention that Stepney has a book deal coming. And they basically disregard anything he says and call the book a bunch of lies.

The latest from Stepney is now, that he claims the 750+ page document was actually stolen from him: He was in a car in Spain with Coughlan and Coughlan stole it from him and Stepney couldn't prevent that. The man is a lunatic.

6. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...who´s gonna believe stephney...not even Coughlan has agreed to that...I dont buy it....not coming from this two morrons.

7. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    There is no doubt

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Your are 100% correct, both these Jerks should never work in F1 Again. If I was Ferrari I would sue the **** out of both these criminals.

9. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Agree on that as well.

10. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    +2

This season will be spoiled forever, only chance to save it will be Kimi winning the WDC on sunday. I'm especially troubled with next season. I doubt the scrutineering of the 2008 McLaren scheduled in February will have much effect, chances are that MCL will benefit from their cheating next year, too...

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Please florian don't start on next year I have had a belly full of this sh@t for an eternity..

It happens all the time Those dickheads got caught now it's resurfaced again Oh well whatta yer know..

KIMI has already WON..:)

12. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Few people would have the integrity to pull the team from competition, and if RD was one of them, Mercedes Benz would not allow it.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    How about some passages instead:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "During the second hearing, Paddy Lowe was forced to confess that in mid May, McLaren had revised its braking system to include a Ferrari-style race-ready brake bias control system. And it was shown conclusively by Tozzi that once McLaren had solved its brake bias problem, the text messaging (300+ messages) between Coughlan and Stepney ceased.
    But the promise of innocence had been ludicrous in the first place. How could the engineers have known that no Ferrari information had been used in the McLaren car if they had never seen the Ferrari information in the first place?
    In the light of the evidence, everyone who was at the second hearing believed McLaren was lucky to have escaped as lightly as it did. The US$100 million penalty and year's disqualification is considered a let-off.
    And there may be more revelations. Mosley believes that Stepney was actually paid for the information he provided to McLaren; if that proved to be true it would be devastating to the team...It seems clear that Mosley is privy to more information that has not yet come out. If that supposition proves to be true, the McLaren executives are in deep trouble."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that the copying came down to one internal system also addresses the argument, that if the McLaren is a "replica" Ferrari, why isn't the Ferrari just as fast? The McLaren is its own genuine design and had a weakness. That got cured via technology transfer from Maranello. If you think how close the two teams are matched, you can just imagine how many times the Ferrari boys would have had the upper hand in the race for the title. :(

14. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

That photo is an utter disgrace. KR is no Steve McQueen.

15. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    :D, I hate dirty cheaters, there is no excuse for why they are still competing in the World Championship this year.

16. stuckinkuwait

stuckinkuwait Formula Junior

Jul 25, 2004
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Lenny S
    Anyone have a subscription to Business F1 and get a copy of the article?

17. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I think this is the reason why a lot of people really dislike Hamilton. When he and the Mclaren team do interviews they act like they have done nothing wrong, and they still deserve to be in the championship.

Kimi Raikkonen 2007 WDC

18. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    +1, everyone knows Ferrari won the title this year and that McLaren are dirty cheaters. Bernie is just keeping Hammy in the championship to give Britain another World Champion and to line his pockets with even more money.

19. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Andreas, after reading more of your posts, I am deeply disturbed by this, as I have always felt that Ron Dennis was above having a team do something like this. The fact that the drivers are still racing shows that F1 is now only about entertainment and the sport is gone.

KIMI THE REAL 2007 WDC
    MASSA THE REAL 2007 VICE WDC.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is very disturbing and I hope some McLaren members will go to jail. But that won't bring back the WDC title for Ferrari in 2007.

I know I sound like sour grapes, but the McLaren drivers do not deserve the title this year. And I'm a fan of both of them, but they sit in a car that was illegally engineered*.

*something that's true for the STR and Super Aguri cars as well, but who cares

21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Yes me too, especially Stepney and Coughlan, I hope these two A-Holes are locked up. Great Avatar by the way, here is rooting for the Boys in Red tomorrow.

22. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    This is all very interesting but I am curious who BusinessF1 would know all of this?

From what I understand, the guy behind it was generally disliked (if not hated) in the paddock by most of the folks, and seemed to be often involved with and accused of downright making stuff up.

I can sort of buy the argument that he was disliked because he told the truth, but I would question whether all this damning evidence was truly suppressed by the FIA just to keep the WDC alive? Seems a bit far fetched. And all his managers lying to RD? Again seems a bit far fetched.

If its true, then certainly the cars should have been banned. But I really wonder whether it can be true to the extend presented in the magazine? It would seem that that much of a scandal could not have been kept under wraps. Surely other magazines and news sources would have gotten the same scoop?

23. cantsleepnk

cantsleepnk Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    With all due respect to everyone ,everything in the Business F1 report was in the FIA transcripts that were published a couple of days after the hearings. The Ferrari lawyer drilled the Mclaren witnesses endlessly on that point .
    Some people here even ridiculed Luca de Montezemelo when he said that if Hamilton wins the championship, he will also win it thanks to Ferrari because there is a lot of Ferrari in his car, but in reality the guy was spot on.

Ferrari and Kimi are the real champions this year no matter what happens on the track Sunday.

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i just hope the whole world knows about this. i got folks here, who don't seem to know shiit about F1, yet they keep accusing me of being sour grapes, and keep on saying to me that Mac won it clear and fair.

the best part was, they never even knew about this whole spygate thing when it all started. they just got to know about it when it was published in the papers that Mac were fined and all.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

BusinessF1 is basically connecting the dots. I read the transcripts too and it doesn't become as obvious to the outside observer, but if you know what these guys do, they can then basically spell it out for the rest of us.

I disagree with LDM's statement that there is a LOT of Ferrari technology in the McLaren. But there is and it is enough to make the difference. The McLaren's chassis was designed, built and crash tested last year, it uses its own aero, its own wheel base and its own engine. It is not a Ferrari. But Ferrari's brake system gave it the remaining 10% to be competitive and beat the Ferraris.

Thanks. It is my new helmet for track events. My suit is still Eddie Irvine. :)