430 - stereo question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 stereo question

Discussion in '360/430' started by mike_747, May 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Should we all make a "note" of this thread now?

2. SpecJunkie

SpecJunkie Karting

Dec 8, 2020
    London
    Ok for clarity, the Bose system was only available towards the end of the F430's life cycle, so builds from latter 2007 onwards.That is why you wont see early cars with this particular set up. AFAIK pre 2007 build cars would have the the two-hole ASK sub enclosure between the seats, if they were optioned with high end audio.

So whilst technically the F430 had three different audio set ups across its entire life cycle; as a customer, you only really had the choice of two — the base set up or the optional powered HiFi set up. So think of it as this: the Bose sytem superseding the older ASK system. This makes sense since the ASK system was actually carried over from the 360 Modena and it was a rip-off even back then (one of the subwoofers is actually a dummy!) Also, if you were the original owner speccing your F430 back in 08/09, and ticked the premium audio box — why would you pick the lesser ASK system, if it was offered to you, right?

That may explain why the specific wording on your US window sticker simply states HiFi Sound Sytem — perhaps they just carried over the description from the earlier ASK systems and not altered? I don't know. But note the official Ferrari wording for this option is very similar: “SNDB HIGH POWER HIFI SYSTEM” i.e. it makes no mention of “Bose” either. Only the Modis option code changes from "1" to "B"

Looking at your pictures Mike, I have no doubt that it is indeed the factory Bose system. The leather, the stitching and general fit is simply too crisp to be anything other than OEM. In fact, I reckon if you were to provide your VIN to Ferrari; they'd see SNDB come up as an option code on their system.

Another surefire way to tell; is if your centre console has a round Bose ROOF OPEN button, in place of where the 12v outlet would usually be. This little gimmick was meant to enhance the audio quality during during top down motoring — and I doubt anyone would go through the trouble of retrofitting it; let alone if it is even compatiable to work on all cars.

3. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Leichtbau
    Yes my car does have the Roof Open button on the center console which I discovered early on acts like a loudness button and just cranks up the volume about 20% or so.

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    That is exactly what that button does.

Bose is not what is referred to as "audiophile" equipment