Stick 599 at RM Amelia | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Stick 599 at RM Amelia

Discussion in '612/599' started by absent, Feb 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

When I look at that price, I hear the words . . . "there is a sucker born every minute."

Or

A fool and his money are soon parted.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There are so many overvalued cars right now. This being one of them.

I think a Miura SV at $2.3m makes much more sense than a manual 599 at $700k or a 355 at $180k.

Almost wishing for a huge correction..

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    At one time I would have said the same thing, now I'm not so sure.

If the stock market tanks it could be a while before seeing that price again, but eventually it would get back up there. I think.

4. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Don't forget ... several bidders ratcheted this price up. This wasn't a private sale between the owner and a single (foolish, uninformed, etc) buyer.

5. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    This was a case of something is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it on that given day. I personally think rare and desirable exotics not just Ferraris will have a strong future market. The 3 pedal cars are unique it's not just the fact that they are becoming or have been already rendered to the history books, it's the fact that they were the norm for so many years, they embody a visceral experience, there is a tactile component to them, an art to the way the gates are crafted, an aurel element as you "clink" thru the gears. If the goal of a sports car is to excite, is to engulf the driver in a blissful and dramatic experience, to become so utterly committed to the driver's sense of control and purpose in becoming engaged with that vehicle and the road underneath them... Then what could be more integral to the feel of driving then the humble yet beautiful stick shift manual transmission and that all mighty third pedal. I'm in my 30's and I doubt that my future kids or any kids these day will ever experience such motoring feelings and joy. That is why they are valuable they represent a time and a feeling.

6. Throttlesteerer

Oct 20, 2013
    Germany
    Well said.
    This subjective feeling plus the rarity factor gives those babies a plus x in value.
    How much really will have to be seen. Maybe not such a big x, but not a minor one either...

7. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    There's a FIAT diesel powered 599 GTD coming to the market. Was top secret, one of one, white on white and a stick shift. Only has 130 bhp but could do 599 miles on one gallon of oil. Less than 1000 miles. Going to be worth a fortune.

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    So it would seem however as I have learned over the years of auctions it only takes one bid to sell or buy a car.... ..

9. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm in this camp. One sale does not (necessarily) a market make. When I hear about another 3 pedal selling for anything close to this, I'll rethink my position.

For those of us who have bought anything at auctions, how many have said after the fact "I wish I hadn't kept bidding!" Emotions often get ahead of sound investment decisions and I think this is a classic example.

10. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    This is very true. I once paid 3x more than I's like to have on a bidding war at a firearms auction. It was a very collectible Colt 1911 and we went back and forth. The good thing is that it's a collectible Colt and a model 1911 in the USA so it'll always increase in value just a matter of time :)

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Auctions are like too much beer and E-Bay. You often end up saying "Now why did I do that?"

12. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I hear you guys about emotions (and alcohol) over-riding reason at auctions ... !!

But, we all do tend to use auction results, i think, rather than individual (private) sales, to determine "market value" of cars (and other collectibles) ... simply because the items of interest are broadly exposed to a wide market, and several bidders (rather than one) typically determine the final transaction price. Of course, more auctions are better than a single one, to determine "market value" ... so time will tell :)

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

will they? increase from where? they have been on the move for quite some time now. they are certainly considered blue chip porsches at this point.

14. RiteDrive

RiteDrive Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick G.
  15. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
  16. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    90% of all collector cars make no sense in the real world. They are bought to be put in garages and print money.

What a pity.

18. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Unfortunately, you're probably correct.
    My problem is I have a nasty habit of actually driving Ferraris in times and places where a decent roof is mandatory. But I raise my glass to the collector who admires their Barchetta sitting in the garage.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I don't. Tell them to go buy stock and bonds and leave the cars to people who appreciate them for being a car and not a commodity.

The people who really make out like a bandit are the auction houses. They get it coming and going which is why they perpetuate this speculation.

20. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    u can never pay too much...you just buy too soon

21. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Ding ding ding winner. All the reward, none of the risk.

22. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    The Barchetta is not the best car for the wet regions, that's true. But what it and the manual 599 represent is the end of an era, that is, a manual Ferrari. And though most buyers prefer an F1 transmission, manual Ferrari's are now seen as something special, especially the V12 models.

For a car to go high at auction, it takes two bidders. It's not the buyer against the auction house. The demand for manual V12 cars has come into it's own.

-F

23. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Well, sometimes it's one bidder and a shill. Not that that's what happened in this case, because I was not there and do not know. I do hope that the buyers are as extravagant with their charity 😳 and wish them all the best.

And I love the barchetta!

24. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I couldn't agree more.

Just take a look at the 10 USA 60th anniversary Ferraris they sold, that have no roof at any time.

25. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Shill isn't gonna drive it up that high ... Maybe up over the auction estimate high, but not in another stratosphere.