Sticking Key | FerrariChat

Sticking Key

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by EZORED, Dec 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My ignition key has all of a sudden sticking in run mode. I have to force it to get the car to shut off. I bought some graphite lubricant and filled up the lock with it, but the problem still exist. I changed keys. Once I have the car off, the key rotates in the ignition freely, When I rotate to start mode it starts and runs fine, and the starter does not continue to engage. Thinking everything is fine until I go to shut off engine.

1992 512 tr

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have seen that happen. A new lock is expensive. Its often the electrical switch portion but unlike earlier cars the switch is not sold separately. It is an integral part. The guys at ODD Parts have fixed them for me using Fiat ignition switches as donors.

3. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I had the same issue. I found a brand new in the box Ferrari ignition f and replaced it. It was quite a job but I felt lucky to find one. It was the only one I could find online.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

LOVE odd parts. Jim is great he fixed my stock headlights for my Testarossa. Left him a great review on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V4NG0 likes this.
  5. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Another thumbs up for ODD Parts. Rifle sent me there last year to have my rheostat fixed. Jim was great to deal with.

EZORED and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  6. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    That's for the feed back all. What's the procedure to remove the lock cylinder from the column?

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Intended to be difficult as an anti theft measure. The bolt that retains it breaks off during installation leaving no head to grab.

EZORED likes this.
  8. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Ok, just to preface, my 512 is a euro model, there is no locking column/theft deterent. I removed the 2 screw on the bottom and removed the bottom half of the steering column shroud. I can not remove the top half and have not found any screw that are holding it on. Can someone point me in the right direction to remove the top half. I removed to vin tag thinking there would be a screw underneath it but no luck? do I need to remove the steering wheel?

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    photo please, then I will remember ( hopefully ) how I did it

10. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  11. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My question is how do you remove the top piece, and after that how do you remove the key cylinder ?

At this point the key is struck in the cylinder in the run position.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The upper and lower half should both have screws behind the steering wheel. It takes special tools to remove the wheel.

Also the shear off bolts are world wide. The car has no steering lock? That was a requirement in Europe far before the USA.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The entire ignition lock and cylinder assembly will come off as a unit. Its held on by a clam shell kind of attachment with 2 of the shear bolts facing the opposite side from the key. It can be seen in top picture of post 11.

14. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Yes. I had to take the steering wheel off. You will need a wheel puller (can buy at any auto parts store). You will
    Also need a special socket. Think I got mine at hill. If you have the time and a grinder you can make one out of a regular metric socket. My mechanic had one that he made. Wasn’t pretty, but it worked. Once you get the wheel off you can get to the other screws. Then use a sharp metal punch and you can work the security sheer off screws. It takes some time but it will work. Remember to mark the steering wheel position before you remove it to save you some frustration. I did this job over several nights and beers! Just back off for a day if it isn’t going right and try again. It’s not impossible but not too easy either.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Wheel is keyed, not splined. Only goes on one way.

16. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Progress, Got the steering wheel removed revealing the 2 screws that allow the shroud to be removed. Anyone who is doing this should remove the steering wheel first, then removing the 2 vertical screws on the bottom of the shroud. If you break off the plastic tabs under the shroud, you will be in trouble later. Did not need special socket to remove the main bolt on the steering wheel. You do need a puller.

flash32 likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    normaly you need a special tool, it is a ring nut

peteficarra and 2008F430 like this.
  18. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    True but I have seen people replace them with a conventional nut. One model, I forget which had a regular nut.

20. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Awesome Guys, that about covers it. I am ordering a new lock set today. I am having trouble removing the anti theft shear pins, so I am thinking that if you press the release pin and slide the actual switch out of the collar, you can keep the original wiring. It is only attached to the actual key body with one screw. I show photos when I do it. Thanks

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The Ignition switch is actually 2 parts which are held together by 2 screws. One part is the actual key lock, and the back 1/2 is the electrical switch. once you have the collar and lock exposed this is the procedure. 1. disconnect the wiring harness. on the lock cylinder there is a screw and a pin, which keeps the actual switch in place. Remove the screw, and here is the trick. to depress the pin you need to have a key in the ignition switch. At this point the whole switch will start to slide out, but it is inhibited by the black rubber sheet that protect the bundle of wires going to the switch. I was able to scrunch up the black sheet enough to allow me the feed the wire thru the back of the collar, and pull the complete switch out exposing the 2 screws that I mentioned earlier. I removed the 2 screw and replaced the key lock with the lock from my new/used switch. The beauty of the method is you do not have to remove the anti theft collar from the steering column which is a big pain in the ass. You will probably have to drop the steering column to do that and a a couple of hours to the job

22. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The Ignition switch is actually 2 parts which are held together by 2 screws. One part is the actual key lock, and the back 1/2 is the electrical switch. once you have the collar and lock exposed this is the procedure. 1. disconnect the wiring harness. on the lock cylinder there is a screw and a pin, which keeps the actual switch in place. Remove the screw, and here is the trick. to depress the pin you need to have have a key in the ignition switch. At this point the whole switch will start to slide out, but it is inhibited by the black rubber sheet that protect the bundle of wires going to the switch. I was able to scrunch up the black sheet enough to allow me the feed the wire thru the back of the collar, and pull the complete switch out exposing the 2 screws that I mentioned earlier.

In regards to an earlier question, Theoretically it takes a special tool to remove the steering wheel nub, but I had a 27 mm socket which was able to grip it just enough to remove the nut. You will need a wheel puller

23. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    As a follow up to this job, my new ignition switch key is different than my doors and gas cap, which I have to have 2 keys. I rarely lock my car, so the big inconvience is the locking gas cap. I can't figure out how to remove to lock cylinder from the cover to get it re keyed. It's easy to loosen the nut on the back but no way will it disassemble enough to pass thru the hole in the cover. Does anyone have a clue how to ?