Sticky buttons | FerrariChat

Sticky buttons

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dwilliams, Sep 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwilliams

dwilliams Karting

Jan 20, 2005
    Altadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis E. Williams
    As I understand from reading FC, there is a common problem regarding sticky buttons/switches on some Ferraris made around the same time as my 2000 550 Maranello My dilemma is whether to do the cleaning myself or send it to a shop like "stickynomore" who can strip off the factory rubberized coating and refinish. I am in no hurry and plan to spend the next few months doing a few pieces at a time. Does anyone know what is the best cleaning solution to remove the factory rubberized coating? I have tried alcohol and MEK but I would appreciate anyone else's experience with this problem. Also, what are the costs of sending it off to have the pieces stripped and refinished.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    do a search in the general forum and in the model specific forums (try the 360/430 forum first). Getting the gunk off is only part of the battle, but that is a DIY job. Refinishing is a whole 'nuther matter and there are two advertisers on here that have been helpful to members over the years.

4. dwilliams

dwilliams Karting

Jan 20, 2005
    Altadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis E. Williams
    Thanks to both of you. I'll check the forums out

5. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    I fiddled with this for nine months. When the car went in for it's major I had them remove the sticky parts, send them to Dave. It was done in less than two weeks. Very happy with the results. No more dog hair stuck to anything in the car now.

F456M likes this.
  6. dahecht

dahecht Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    I tried for years to clean the parts. They were so bad my wife didn't want to get in the car (1998 550). Finally had my mechanic take everything out and send it to Stickynomore. Should have done it years ago. They did a great job

7. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Dennis,
    There is only one solution.
    Send your parts to Dave at StickyRX.
    The center console buttons on a 575 arent hard to remove and the door handles arent either but you do need to take your time when removing the door panels.
    He did my sticky parts and like others have commented his process is second to none.
    I highly recommend him.

8. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Do it yourself, there are a number of threads if you do a search outlining what to use to clean them up (I used oven cleaner) and even the type of paint to use.

You can go down the path of removing and sending away but I quite enjoyed the DYI option with great results. It's not rocket science, just take your time and patience.

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Regarding the use of oven cleaner or Greased Lightening, those products really don't work. What I mean is, one "thinks" they work when the coating is so far gone but at that point, anything works. Rubbing alcohol works the best but sometimes it will take off the base paint so you need to be careful. If you tried over cleaner or GL on a brand new, non-failed part, you would come up empty handed as they simply do not break down the coating.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Dominic - much appreciated :)

11. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I used GoofOff and SimpleGreen.

12. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Use denatured alcohol (found at Home depot) to remove the goo off the buttons, you just need a good amount of elbow grease. I'd avoid harsher chemicals.

srslusso likes this.
  13. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Dennis, give us a call or email. We are the best in the business and have been around for almost 10 years.

14. kaliforniakid

kaliforniakid Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    Both Robbie at SNM and Dan at Sicky RX I hold in the highest regard. Equally professional and without a doubt experts in the business.

One thing to note is it is just not the switches that go bad which are easy to remove, but the vent covers front facing and the defroster vents at the front window line go bad which means removing the dash. Also hand break and hood release. There are many other parts too I didn't mention. When you look at how many pieces amass it is a bit overwhelming.

Do not try to clean with the parts in place as you risk damaging the leather. If you have the time and skill I don't want to dissuade you from doing it. But no doubt a lot of time and effort.

15. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    I want to send mine off to get re-finished! The almost gone finish on the R button is for the birds.

Problem is, I cannot go a few weeks without driving my car. Has anyone rigged up a momentary switch to the R wires so they could still drive the car? That is the only button I use anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Send me an email when you can, we have a solution for the R button issues, no waiting weeks.

17. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Robbie at sticky no more is an absolute pleasure to deal with. An incredibly nice guy and his workmanship and attention to detail is unmatched. A straight shooter and a lifetime Rosa here which is a testament to his stature and character.

285ferrari likes this.
  18. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    I’m excited to have him fix my R button! Crazy that Ferrari can’t find a better solution after all these years

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    They choose not to find a better solution. That's how they roll! Those buttons have been stickifyed for the last 30 years.

20. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff

They have, Robbie at Sticky no more.

21. mark66

mark66 Rookie

Mar 27, 2014
    Looking to have a number of my dash pieces done on my 2010 458. Need to understand how to get the dash apart. Does anyone have these directions?
    Thanks...

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- The 458/488 forum can help you more than this 65 degree V12 forum. The 458 workshop manual has good descriptions and photos on the dash and its components.

23. KraigStrom

KraigStrom Rookie

Jun 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kraig Strom
    Someone I know has a 2003 360 Spider they are thinking about selling. It is a low miles gated manual car and he wondered if paying the extra to fix the sticky buttons and aircon vents is necessary. Or should he just list it as is?

24. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    FWIW, I had progression of sticky buttons and other plastic parts in my '02 575. I was concerned about the process and cost of taking the interior apart and sending off for repair. About 6-8 years ago, I decided to take a chance of possibly doing something stupid, and spent a couple of afternoons with Armor All, micro-fiber cloths and Q-tips and got all of the black goo off of the parts, in situ. The surfaces remain sticky free. The white "writing" remained intact.

KraigStrom likes this.
  25. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Depends on how he intends to market it. If marketed as low miles gated 360 in perfect condition and up to date on service then I think taking care of the sticky buttons professionally would be the way to present the car and expect a premium price. If car has other imperfections then the sticky buttons won't be a detraction for buyers expecting a car in need of attention to some details.