Sticky California??? We've got you covered :) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sticky California??? We've got you covered :)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dave rocks, May 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    Does anyone know how to remove the Mode/Display button out of the dash? It looks like it could be gently pried out but I don’t want to find out I was wrong, the expensive way. Thanks I’m advance.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes, it just has spring clips.

3. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    Thanks, Dave.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Mode / Disp control and trim refinished with laser etched graphics :)

AD211 likes this.
  5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here are the California transmission buttons being laser etched :)

7. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    does anyone make metal or carbon fiber buttons that can be retrofitted?

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Metal would not be a good choice and Carbon fiber does not provide for graphic illumination at night.

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is a coating comparison of new OEM Soft Touch (top) and our hard touch (lower, headlight control assembly)

I'd say the color is a perfect match yet ours will never fail and get sticky :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dolcevita likes this.
  10. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    Dave,
    Your refinishing process is absolutely perfect. You refurbished my 2010 California's HVAC and Mode switch (one in beige, one in black). Both finishes are a perfect match in color and finish. Your company was able to turn my parts around faster than your original estimates. The shipping process was painless, I can't say enough good things about the business. Thank you and I'l be sending my PS, Auto and Reverse buttons when they get to the point that I can't stand looking at them.

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Kevin,

I remember you and your parts well - it's always a pleasure speaking with you. Thank you for those kind words - it makes this all worth doing :) Talk soon.

12. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    I do confirm this is the case. I owned a 997.1 and all the buttons would loose their coating. And I live in Belgium so no hot temp here. Just bad quality. But the best part was that I tried to have Porsche replace the button and they could not as the buttons are soldered to the console So to change the buttons they wanted me to change the console !

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OMG. That's a ridiculous situation.

IMO, if a car maker, Porsche or Ferrari, uses a product that had not been properly tested before being sold on the market, then they and their suppliers should be liable for most of the costs of repairs or replacement, This would be especially true for items that car owners would not suspect are made of inadequately tested materials or devices.

Actually, I think it's stupid to put a rubber coating on buttons (and solder them to the console). Who the heck expects or cares if the buttons feel slightly soft??? I certainly don't.

14. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    100% aligned with you.
    At that time I chose a german car for their reputation of solidity. Everyone told me to stay away from italian sportcars (not reliable, expensive to maintain etc).
    Well...experience has proven me wrong. I had so many problems with my Porsche. Once the key was stucked and I could not switch off the engine anymore. I had to disconnect the battery which created numerous issues. This car was a nightmare on wheels.

I have had no issues with my California Turbo so far. And it costs me less to own it than the Porsche : insurance is cheaper, maintenance is free, yearly taxes are lower as it produces less CO2...