Sticky Interior Refinishing - Thank you for looking :) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Sticky Interior Refinishing - Thank you for looking :)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dave rocks, Apr 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Hello all, interesting thread and I am in the process of deciding what to do with my 512TR as it has some sticky bits that need addressed. I won't go into details but my 512TR has done very well in the NWRFCA Concours and I am very concerned that the look AND feel of the treatment done to address the sticky bits will cost me points in the Concours. I see no mention of Concours judging results in this thread...has anyone talked about a before and after Concours results? Were any points deducted because of either LOOK (i.e. too shiny, too dull, too dark, too light etc.) or FEEL (i.e too smooth or too rough or...). Personally I have been told that FEEL is the key issue in most treatment results. I am very concerned about this but I also fear that if I do nothing the sticky "look" and "feel" will continue to degrade until points are deducted...could be this year actually. I need some type of assurance that these treatments for sticky bits won't cause a deduction in a Concours judged event. Thoughts are appreciated here as I need to move quickly. I have the local Ferrari Dealer working with me on this as they will remove the parts and send them to whoever I decide has the best results. Any and all help and thoughts appreciated.

ClayS

ClayS (Scud and 512TR)

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Clay,

I'm posting from my phone but tomorrow I will post pics of our coating next to the factory coating - it's almost identical except our is hard touch that won't fail.

I will also post a link to our 512 Refinishing. We've got you covered if perfection is your goal :)

3. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #53 Dave rocks, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Clay, as promised - here is the link to our 512 refinishing thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/521482-512tr-sticky-refinishing.html

Attached are photos of our coating compared to the OEM (new 355 ashtray).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I Stopped in at Dave's shop today as it is only a short drive from were i live, the shop and quality of the product he offers is very impressive.

5. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I have had several responses on the quality of the work and results and I appreciate all the input. My question and primary concern has not really been addressed and that is how is this treatment reflected in Concours judging? Has someone had this treatment done, and by which company, and did they get points deducted for either Look or Feel at a Concours? If as many Ferraris have had this done as I am hearing about surely there are those that judge highly in Concours events even with this treatment and had no deductions. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. I would like to use this forum to help me here. There are several competing companies out there and I am interested in finding the one which can do the job and not cause deductions in a Concours judged event.

ClayS (Scud and 512TR)

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Clay - the only difference in our process vs OEM is that we don't use a soft touch coating - we use a hard touch. If we used a soft touch (and we could), it would fail again and 99.99% of owners don't want the risk or burden (cost), so they take their chance at a possible deduction in points. But, without touching our coating, I would challenge anyone to know the difference.

Also, we are the only company doing the process as we do (laser etching of graphics, etc)

7. chinaleeexports

chinaleeexports Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    SL
  8. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens

I have not received any email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Clay - that post was another member letting me know he sent me an email. I emailed you this morning - check your spam / junk email or call me if you like.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #60 Dave rocks, Apr 28, 2017
  11. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Looks great Dave. Do you have somewhere to look at how to take off these pieces? A manual of sorts. I'd like to remove some of these pieces over the winter and send them to you for refinishing.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Bruno - only the 360 WSM (if it has any of that info). But, if you get stuck, I can usually get answers to help you :)

13. Giovannikoll1

Giovannikoll1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2013
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Giovanni
    Hello, Beautiful job, I have a 612 scaglietti in France and would be glad to send you some parts to treat the stickiness, (air vents, window switches, and fuel and boot switch).

Let me know if it is possible,
    [email protected]

Thank you very much.
    Best regards, Giovanni.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hello Folks,

Here is a video explaining some of the processes - enjoy :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm5CT9IEVAA[/ame]

15. chinaleeexports

chinaleeexports Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    SL
    The saying "You get what you pay for..."
    Thanks to Dave and his crew for refinishing various sticky interior parts for my F430. Can't really say refinished because the returned parts look and feel new. Outstanding work!
    Highly recommended.....
    Sam

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Sammy - while I am subscribed to this thread, Ironically I was browsing the forum and saw this post right before my notification came in...

Thank you very much for the kind words, your business and most importantly, your trust. I'm Glad you are happy - that's what keeps us going. It's the second of the month and we are already booked solid for June. It's folks like you and many others here that make this worth doing.

Thank you and be well. :)

17. ncm6cabrio

ncm6cabrio Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    #67 ncm6cabrio, Jun 8, 2017
  18. F430AU

F430AU Rookie

Jan 13, 2016
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I recently tried to remove my passenger door handle and had trouble finding how to do it. I noticed the refinished surround for where the grab handle goes into the door handle. How did you remove it. Was there any trick to it?

Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Jim

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Beautiful work indeed!

Dan

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Much appreciate your business and kind words, Mike. We are glad you are pleased. :)

Thank you, Dan ;)

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #71 Dave rocks, Jul 27, 2017
  22. ncm6cabrio

ncm6cabrio Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    Jim- It's been a while since you posted this, did you find the info you needed? If not, this video I made when I disassembled my door handles might help.

https://youtu.be/5QxYWws-0Q0

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great video!

Thanks for sharing Mike!

Now I know how to remove mine when its time to send it in for refinishing.
    Currently mine still looks very good.

All the best to you always.

Dan

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is a demonstration of our coating's chemical and mar resistance :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpQ6mJXwZY&t=8s[/ame]

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi folks,

So my local friend Jay (RossoC360) had some sticky parts on his 360 and given our driving season is short, he did not want the car out of commission so we happened to have some spare parts refinished so we could do a core exchange for Jay (not something we do often).

Jay was nice enough to create this video to help others remove and install the hazard, parking, mirror control and trim.

Thanks, Jay! :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4QkJHB2v1c[/ame]