Sticky RX - Growing Pains and the Next 6-8 weeks | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sticky RX - Growing Pains and the Next 6-8 weeks

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dave rocks, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  2. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'll post some more photos next week. As to be expected, a few setbacks. A few booth panel errors and we are awaiting replacements. New sub panel installed and wires run to sub panel yesterday. About an hour of work to tie into main panel but we need to have main power off to make connection.

As of today, we estimate to be operational the week of January 15th. Still lots to do.

3. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #28 Dave rocks, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Center clean room assembled today. Tops panels next. We received replacement panels today so we can get on to the tops tomorrow. Hoping to have this all complete by the end of next week.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    These booths are positive pressure so they have intake fans and air plenums. Plenums assembled, intake fans / motors installed along with full ceilings. We built some platforms to stand on top for assembly and future service - they are worth their weight in gold. A bunch of other minor details done too. 6 of 10 light fixtures installed. The goal is to have all complete less electrical and duct work by Monday. Electrical, duct work and air lines next week. On target to be operational is January 15th.

We have a massive backlog of orders and I'd like to thank all of our customers for the understanding and patience through these times. The quality will be worth the wait - you have my word. :)

greg246 likes this.
  6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It isn't necessary to give your word, I'm certain I speak for all when I say that your quality is never in doubt

Ferris Bueller and Dave rocks like this.
  7. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Looks good Dave, can't wait to see it !

ScottS likes this.
  8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks, Josh.

All mechanical installation complete. Mounted air filtration units, solenoid valves, electrical control panel and clean room blower. Tomorrow is a big day - electrical wiring begins and wall penetrations for ducting. Getting close :)

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #34 Dave rocks, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    2 of the 3 ducts are run inside and out. The 3rd is almost done on the inside (we were a flange short - mfg is over nighting us the part). 3rd will be done tomorrow. Electrical continues today and tomorrow along with airlines. After tomorrow all that should remain is cleaning the booth, caulking all the seams and installing the filters. Still working hard to be ready for this coming Monday :) And, we powered up some lights yesterday :)

Ferris Bueller likes this.
  10. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Looking good Dave!
    This is why I send my parts to Dave.
    Dave is a perfectionist and it shows in the commitment of this new both and clean room.

Dave rocks likes this.
  11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks, Dom. You are a good friend and customer :)

12. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    wow, this is coming along really nicely.

Dave, are you guys going to start adding the red wrinkle powder coating for intake manifold covers or valve covers to your list of services?

Dave rocks likes this.
  13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Tim.

Yes, we are planning to offer wrinkle finishes down the road (probably once I hire another painter). But, we have no plans for powdercoating at this time. We will use liquid, spray wrinkle coatings and bake just as Ferrari does.

We've tested some product about 6 months ago and it's excellent.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Sun of a gun...... My contractors can't count - we are short 2 flanges, not 1 and the 1 on it's way got delayed by a storm so we won't have that one today. We won't be able to button of the 3rd duct run until Monday...:mad:

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    All duct work on outside of building complete. We are awaiting 1 flange to finish duct work inside. Air lines all done. Electrical done but we have a bit of troubleshooting to do as exhaust fan drives are kicking out - simple fix I'm sure. Cleaning, caulking and filter installation remains (some over weekend). Shop is trashed from construction so we will need 1/2 a week or so to recify that.

RossoC360 likes this.
  16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Got the door seals installed, latches adjusted, clean room filters installed and spent a good portion of today sorting some of the control wiring bugs and getting the electrical all working - it's all electrically operational now. One of my guys put 5 hours in today cleaning the shop but still needs more. Tomorrow we need to finish making spray guy hangers and mount them along with cleaning the booths and caulking. The first spray will be peel-able protective booth coating to the walls.

It's looking like we are going to need a couple more days to button everything up.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The devil is in the details.....

Randy's been doing a great job caulking all the joints which is no easy task and is very time consuming. Booth A is now ready for our peelable protective wall coatings and Booth B will be ready tomorrow so we expect to get that done and they we are ready to get back to work. I expect to be painting Saturday for the first time in the new system. The lighting is much brighter - it's so bright the camera dims the image :)

Here are a few photos and short video tour. It will be good to be back up and running. Again, thank you to all the customer and your patience :)

INTMD8 and 338Lapua like this.
  18. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Looks really nice Dave!

Dave rocks likes this.
  19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Tony. We are getting there, sadly, slower than I would have liked. We also made many other changes in the shop. Lots of work.

Your parts will be within the first batch to be coated in the new booth :)

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We are operational! :) :) :) (finally) ;)

Just got done shooting the first batch of parts (epoxy primer). The booth works pretty darn well. I do think we need to make some air flow adjustments and we will be working through the issue with tech support tomorrow :)

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very good Dave, looking forward to more of your customers' reviews

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Well, minor setback... Turns out the exhaust motors are undersized. Damn engineering calculations (not me - thank god ;) ).. Manufacturing is sending out larger HP motors for exhaust - the flow is too little. We can still continue to prime but I don't think we will apply finish coats until new motors are installed - they are trying to have them here tomorrow if possible. We have a lot of priming / sanding to do before top coats anyway so I don't see this as much of a set back.

For those that are interested, here is how the system is designed to work:

The booths are positive pressure - this pushes dust outside the booth instead of pulling it in as a negative pressure booth would. The intake fans / motors are on/off (no controller). To change the speed, it's done at the pulley. The booth is auto balancing so the exhaust motors run of VFD's (variables frequency drives). as the exhaust filters load up with paint, the drives will run the motor faster to compensate. On Friday, we were running full load amps on clean filters and still not enough flow - this is how we knew something was not right. This is a custom system and they don't erect them at manufacturing (very impractical) so the only way to debug is when installed and operational.

23. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Love the new setup congrats!

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Dan.

Fedex dropped the ball - our new exhaust motors are due today but somehow the shipment is delayed - they now say tomorrow... ugh..

25. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    It's like adult Christmas waiting on all the parts to arrive, the anticipation can drive you nuts. Were in the same boat waiting on the town to sign off on the gas line permit for the booth. I drop breakfast, cookies, holiday cakes, coffee, etc off to the building department every other day trying to grease the wheels.