still smells like gas/exhaust after a drive......... | FerrariChat

still smells like gas/exhaust after a drive.........

Discussion in '308/328' started by qedqeq, Aug 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qedqeq

qedqeq Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2015
    Hi all,

I would a like few ideas as to why I still smell of gas/exhaust after a drive. I mean like my clothes are smelly as so am I, and the inside of the car.

It is not not a straight pure gas smell, more like a burned exhaust smell.

It doesn't smell when it is just sitting in the garage

I have:

changed the fuel lines,
    changed fuel vent lines,
    removed the air injection system and plugged holes,
    removed the rear bank sniffer tubes and plugged holes (Cannot reach front bank),
    removed the evap system,
    changed air warmup lines,
    changed the blow-by lines,
    changed spark plugs,
    fixed a broken nipple from the passenger tank,
    fixed all the exhaust leaks with fresh donuts gaskets and new bolting throughout

I used frsh new 30R7 and 30R9 on every single inch replaced.

This car has smelled like this since I bought it last summer, that is why I did all this, because I am trying to solve this.

This is a 1987 328GTB with factory exhaust mainfolds and intermediate pipe, but it has a Tubi passthrough Cat (pretty much a straight pipe), and a Tubi Muffler assembly

I think that maybe I am running too rich????????

Running out of ideas as to why my Beautiful Ferrari enjoys giving me eye tearing headaches after I drive it for a while.

2. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    Check your ignition first. Yank the plugs and look for carbon fouling. This will tell you where your issue may be. If your injectors are in poor condition the fuel will not atomize properly and not burn completely. From there it is compression tests.

3. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    It's exhaust...plain and simple...unburned fuel...btw, all that stuff you removed is what's supposed to help burn the fuel efficiently...Emissions!

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #4 308 milano, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    You mean like removing your air pump and slapping a spinning cap on the pulley?

Follow MNExotics recommendations, he's putting you on the right path.

5. qedqeq

qedqeq Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2015
    Thanks Guys,

I removed everything because nothing was functioning.

Definitely going to start with my injectors, I purchased those PTFE bushings from the German dude selling them, because a couple of mine look like they are leaking from then top and rusting, and also removing the little distributor fuel lines.

Looking at the spark plugs right now.

Thanks guys.

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Bring it to my house and run it in the garage. I miss that smell almost as much as I miss the car it came from.

mwr4440 likes this.
  7. qedqeq

qedqeq Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2015
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

8. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Kim...spinning caps is yesterdays news...I finally got it to come loose at 120mph :)

9. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Perfectly normal for a 308, the best part is that if you park the car in the garage, the whole house smells that same way! My wife absolutely loves it when the house smells like exhaust.

10. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Driving with the roof off does seem to cause the exhaust to recirculate into the car at some speeds.

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Yeah used to get that complaint all the time. Carb vents would smell up the garage . I even made a bung to plug into the air intake after I parked it but no good. Just one of the reasons I finally sold the car.

12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    If I have the roof off then yes, I will get some exhaust fumes into the cabin. All the jeeps I have ever owned, same thing with the roof off. Seems air turbulence carries the exhaust fumes back around but this shouldn't be happening with an FI car if you've got the roof panel on. Neither one of my cars has this issue. BUT, if you own a Carb, Best advice I can think of is to negotiate a new washer/dryer into the deal at time of purchase! Haha :)

13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Each attempt to get rid of that smell is vain endeavour.
    I love it but if you don't and are not willing to get used to it you'll have a problem.
    It's part of the 308/328 experience.

Best Regards
    Martin

mwr4440 likes this.
  14. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Wow.. hope that didn't get launched up and around like a ball bearing in a pinball machine and put dents in your deck lid. Was a thread a few years ago where someone ran over a penny that got kicked up, settled in between the Cam belt/pulley and took out the valve train. IIRC, it was just after leaving a toll booth? Different topic but I make sure all my cars have back Cam belt Covers. Piece of mind insurance.

Actually, that's not correct. Thinking back on it, it didn't take out the valves but took an exact stamping of the size of a penny out of his cam belt? More coffee needed this morning. Long-winded way of saying, hoping your car wasn't damaged.

15. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    No damage, Kim...Thanks! P.S. I'm truly sorry for our earlier comments to eachother :)

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yeah, same here Chaya.. Just came back from working 112 hours in eight days. Was in an especially grumpy mood that week. Even my wife told me I better lighten up at home or she will show me exactly what a grumpy mood is. LOL

17. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Better than burnt meatloaf, eh? :)

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Just the carbed cars do a slight smell of gasoline when parked in a box. 208 308 328 fuel injected don't do any smell of gasoline: If they do, there is something to fix.

Ciao

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I would agree with Alberto here, although our cars are "Euros" and do not have the same fuel system as "US variant"; but to me, for an Euro car, fuel smell means something wrong. Both my GTB and my GTS do not have it.
    Rgds

20. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have to agree with you on that one!

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    As far as I understood, the OP didn't talk about raw fuel smell but about that characteristic exhaust smell, which is a mixture of not completely burnt fuel and burnt oil.
    I cannot imagine to eliminate this completely, not even on an injected car.
    BTW, what is the average oil consumption of the 3.2 engines? Or better said, how much is the oil consumption on these engines, which is considered normal or acceptable?

Best
    Martin

22. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Exactly this. I've just switched from FI to carburettor and unburnt fuel lingers for an hour or so in the garage. The i never did this.

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Oil consumption depends from the usage, of course: It's the same of a modern car, if the engine is on the factory play and wear range

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Ahhh, I understood, if you don't use the car, it of course doesn't consume any oil :)
    Without kidding; My question was the amount of oil the 3.2 engines are allowed to consume until one has to think about an engine rebuild.

Best
    Martin

25. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Martin, I think if you consume 1 Ltr. of oil every 100 km, that might be a sign that engine is tiered.