still smells like gas/exhaust after a drive......... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

still smells like gas/exhaust after a drive.........

Discussion in '308/328' started by qedqeq, Aug 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    The smell behind described to me sounds like weak or incomplete combustion. Take it back to my post. These can be a pain to diagnose properly. Check the plugs for the weaker cylinder(s). From there you need to determine if it's a fuel, ignition or mechanical issue. Easiest to test is ignition. Then I would test compression especially if it is on multiple cylinders. It is not unheard of that the heads need to retorqued. If head gasket needs to be replaced I would use cometic brand gaskets and not the original elrings. If that's all good then it is a fuel issue.

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    0,5 (or more) liter per 1000 km means the engine is over the allowed working plays

Ciao

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    An exhaust smell is completely normal after a ride. A gasoline smell is not, on the f.i. Cars.

I had that problem on my car several times: once the fuel accumulator, once a missing "fascetta" (the metal piece that tighten the tube at its end) and once a disconnected tube of f.i. sensor from the inlet manifold.

Ciao

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Martin,

Actual oil consumption of my Euro 1989 cars, GTB with 52.000 kms on the odometer, GTS with 32.000, oil Shell helix ultra 5W40, is zero. Nil. Null.
    As said by Alberto, from more than 0,5 litre (half a quarter gallon) per 1000 kms, it is time to worry.

Rgds

5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I never once added oil between oil changes, the smell isn't from oil burning off or gas fumes in the garage either. It is always an exhaust smell that goes away once the car has been turned off on my carb 308. I just leave the garage door open for an hour or so after every drive to ensure that the smell didn't get into the house.

6. P4AntonLM

P4AntonLM Karting

Dec 31, 2007
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Anton Schicho
    It smells 3 days in my garage after a ride with my Miura. As long as you smell your car in the garage, you know its still there and not stolen :)

mwr4440 likes this.
  7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I use the same oil and I have the same consumption.

Ciao

8. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That was a theft deterrent feature that the dealers used when theses cars sold new!

9. qedqeq

qedqeq Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2015
    LOLOL

Thanks for all your replies guys. Like I mentioned in my original post, it is not a pure gasoline smell.

It is an unburned fuel/exhaust smell, that get into my clothes and and cab while I am driving it.

Once I park it in the garage, it goes away pretty quickly.

But I smell like an exhaust pipe once I get into the office or into my home. and it lingers from there.

--->Secretary: "Good Morning, Smells like you either drove the Ferrari in today, or you tried committing suicide in your garage with that crappy Corolla again"

--->Me: "Again? What do you mean again? And it's not a crappy Corolla!"

10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Then don't worry: my wife tells me exactly the same every time I start the old Ferrari ;)

ciao

11. qedqeq

qedqeq Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2015
    Really?

Well then, sounds like my beautiful Ferrari is running smoothly, purring like a kitten.

Thank you Guys, Alberto

Ciao!!

12. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Another source of fumes in the cabin could be, when stuck in traffic the exhaust of the car in front can be right next to the heater blower air intake which unfortunately is mounted in the nose of the car unlike most cars where its at the bottom of the windscreen.

13. jason blood

jason blood Rookie

Dec 15, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    jason blood
    599 hgte
    Just took it out, ran it kind of hard. Went into garage to admire her an hour later stunk of gasoline. Im scared to start it! Help!

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Why are you posting to a 4 years old thread?

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Good point.

I can't imagine that a 599 hgte smells like a 1980's 328.

Leather, oil or gas. Those were the smells.

Half my cars are models made before catalytic converters, so they run good on natural gas.

:)

Matt

16. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    You might have some weeping of the oil at the differential seals, that get thrown up by rotational motion onto the exhaust headers, giving you a burnt oil smell. See if you have a spatter line on the headers.

The air injection system appears to be the only consequential emmissions items you removed. That I think is to lean out the car when it is cold and reduce emmissions, so you may be running rich at cold start, but that should go away when warmed up. The evap system might be worth reinstalling, it keeps the gas tank in a closed loop, and absent that may have fuel fumes releasing?

17. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Exhaust leak, even just a small exhaust leak you can smell it everywhere.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    First - I have a 1989 328 GTB that I have perfectly serviced and maintained by an exceptional technician (not me). Funny, when I drive my car I have zero exhaust or fuel odors. I just read this entire thread. I’m amazed how not one person suggested to the author that he stop playing “Mr. Fix It” and take his car to a professional. No, fuel and exhaust odors are not normal. If your car has this issue you would be a fool to ignore it. It may be something minor, or it may also be a sign your car is about to catch on fire. Stop playing weekend Ferrari expert and take it to a professional.

19. jason blood

jason blood Rookie

Dec 15, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    jason blood
    Because its relevant. Dont need to start a new one. Do you have a problem with that? Please explain why. Im confused.

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Not sure that a fuel issue with a 599 is particularly relevant to a thread that's discussing possible cause/effect with a 328.

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Actually it's not relevant. This thread had to do with a 308 / 328 fuel system which is very different from the 599 that you have. If you want a relevant opinion, I suggest you post it on the 5xx sub forum. I bet you get more answers there.

For example, the 308/328 stink of gasoline inside the garage when the two bottom fuel hoses at the cross over pipe connecting the two fuel tanks are cracked, and/or the fuel filler hose is old. I would bet $100 that your 599 does not have a cross over pipe at the bottom of the gas tank, and the plastic filler hose is likely not to crack.

22. jason blood

jason blood Rookie

Dec 15, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    jason blood
    Thats a good reply, thank you.

23. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Carburetors ... the smell of a REAL CAR.

I MISSED THAT in my 'i' but taking the cats off and PRESTO !!!

Cars that don't smell of gas, exhaust, oil and burnt rubber dont interest me at all.

JLF and Martin308GTB like this.
  24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    What a sad, sad story.

Best
    Martin

25. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #50 mwr4440, Aug 21, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Nah, its a GREAT Story.

Somebody that appreciates the car and its REAL CAR smells will be its PROUD owner.

I blame the ANTI-SMOKERS for ALL THIS CANDY-ASSED 'Car Sniff' BS.

Martin308GTB likes this.