Stirling Moss RIP | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Stirling Moss RIP

Discussion in 'F1' started by Marcel Massini, Apr 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 166MM alum

166MM alum Rookie

Jul 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Darrell Westfaul
    The first time I saw Stirling Moss was in 1962. Recuperating from his crash, he had been invited to be guest of honor at the SCCA races in Courtland, Alabama, on a deserted airfield in the middle of nowhere. A Jaguar dealer had supplied Moss with one of the new E-Types and he was driving it around, accompanied by a local beauty queen. Moss had the car in first gear (which if you don’t know E-Types is low enough to pull stumps) with the choke turned up so that the car crept along by itself while he sat on the top boot with the girl and steered with his feet. Sadly, I didn’t get a photo, but it is a picture that has always stayed in my memory.

NoGoSlow, Jack-the-lad and 375+ like this.
  2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Based on Sir Jackie's description of Stirling as a "gadget man", and of his house, it seems that he might have been the inspiration for Wallace of "Wallace & Gromit" fame!

lorenzobandini and 635CSI like this.
  4. "There's no cheeeezzze Gromit! :eek: Not a bit in the howssse...... :oops:"

("A Grand Day Out"....off to the moon in search of some cheese, no? Not "The Wrong Trousers" or "A Close Shave", right? :D)

:)

5. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If Stirling was the best driver never to win the WDC, a lot of people think that Tazio was the best driver of all time, period!

classic308 and 375+ like this.
  7. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    When it come to rating all time drivers, Murray Walker Said it best:

"Who was the greatest driver of all time? There is in fact no common yardstick you can apply to drivers from 1950 when F1 began to now, because there are different drivers, different cars, different circuits, different regulations, and different circumstances. You can say who the greatest driver of a generation was. Jim Clark maybe, Jackie Stewart maybe, Ayrton Senna certainly, Michael Schumacher maybe. You can only give a subjective answer."

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Some people see their prefered driver through rose tinted glasses and call him the best or the GOAT.

Murray Walker was right: it's a subjective notion.

9. AM101

AM101 Rookie

Mar 11, 2015
    I may be able to shred a little light on the Stirling Moss and Tazio Nuvolari photograph, recently reading Stirling Moss, my cars, my career. He quotes ;

"I had met Nuvolari at Garda, by then he was quite old, but I knew perfectly well who and what he was, the Fangio of his era, and I certainly held him in total awe"

He only went to Garda twice in his early career, his first Continental road race, aged 19, on 10th July 1949, driving a Cooper-JAP 1000, and then on 15th October 1950, driving a HWM.

Below is a photograph from his book taken on the 10th July 1949, his overall pockets are different, and he has a black collar, so may have been the 1950 event.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Reading some of the wonderful tributes written on this forum, and elsewhere he was a true great as a driver and man. An extraordinary talent and asset to motor racing, Great Britain, and the world. Never to be repeated.
    R.I.P.

Isobel, Nembo1777, V12addict and 3 others like this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  11. I almost agree 100%. The discrepancy, in my opinion is, it was repeated. By Jim, who we lost too early; and Jackie. :)

12. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Ahhh...missed that.

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004