Stock steering signal replacement on Testarossa with a Lancia Delta part? | FerrariChat

Stock steering signal replacement on Testarossa with a Lancia Delta part?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Oct 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

[​IMG]
    All,

So this likely been addressed before so please forgive me but on a testarossa, I know the turn signals/headlamp signals were shared with a fiat typo and lancia.
    Looks like a replacement new from ferrari is $1800, Ferr parts wants $1200 for a used unit.
    My mechanic say you can trade the faulty one for a reconditioned one but not sure how much.
    Now a brand new lancia delta one cost $200. Is it a direct fit? Am i missing something? Why on earth would someone buy a ferrari unit then?!
    See pic attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    The part is not a direct fit, the wiring harness is a bit different. As I did with mine, was to buy the lancia unit and harvest the parts to my old unit. GL

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Great tip! Im sure it did end up cheaper than the stock ferrari part?

4. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I think I paid around $175 for mine at that time, maybe 5 hrs total in labor (my time). Was a fun job and saved a bunch.. GL

5. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I think I paid around $175 for mine at that time, maybe 5 hrs total in labor (my time). Was a fun job and saved a bunch.. GL

6. Natkingcolebasket69

One more question can you not just replace the lever itself plug and play? Or you have to replace the all thing?
    I am thinking its just a broken lever a plug and play approach should work?

7. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    On my unit, the left headlight lever was freewheeling. So when I Dismantled the switch assembly found a plastic cam gear had broken in two. Ordered the lancia unit, switched all 3 levers, since there new parts. Keep in mind if you decide to do this project, work on a flat table with a bed sheet, since the are small springs and ball inside the unit. If somthing falls out, easy to find..GL

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes what happened is my headlight switch is broken, it still turns on the headlight but no light comes out, mechanic said it was broken.
    A new unit is like 1200-1900 and i just find it silly money....if i just replace the lever, even if i pay my mechanic a couple hours to help it still is better!

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Exactly the way to go !

Never spend $2000 on an oem unit ... :eek:

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Totally agree. I am getting the part monday in the mail, i plan on trying to take pictures to share here.
    The thing is an OEM part will break again as the plastic is not great quality.
    Second best option is to get it remanufactured here in SF for like $600 and its actually stronger than before OR there is that option of sourcing from a lancia delta; dissasemble the levers and replace them with the ones bought. I chose that route and i hope to be succsssful for a total cost of $150 with shipping;))

11. Todd Gibbs

Todd Gibbs Rookie

Sep 29, 2017
    Full Name:
    Todd Gibbs
    Would love to see the result of this - my indicator lever is a little loose and feels like its about to give up - new part is £1800 in the UK.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel