Stock ZR1 Laps Nürburgring in 7:26.4 | FerrariChat

Stock ZR1 Laps Nürburgring in 7:26.4

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by DMC, Jun 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    http://blog.gmnext.com/?p=194

2. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Wicked ... absolutely wicked.

Bill

3. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    And now all the those GT-R fanboys will now be the ones calling BS. Guarantee it.

4. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Expect a quicker time when an in-house pro takes the wheel......

5. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 Buzz48317, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
    WOW!!

Faster than the Zonda F.

6. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    that's a rolling start lap....
    how much time could we take off from all the other contenders to equalize ?

7. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Horray for motoheads.

IT'S ON~

American is bringing out the ZR1, Japanese have the power ranger trio with GTR, LF-A & NSX, so what are the Germans and Italians going to do now? It's a good time to be a automobile enthusiast.

8. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #8 LamboLover, Jun 27, 2008
    My guess is that Europe is either moving on to a different kind of supercar or still in development stages. I'm not too surprised anymore when you see 'Vettes or Vipers or GT-Rs, etc. beating "current" supercars because those supercars are, in a way, kind of old. They weren't exactly developed this or last year like some of the current 'Ring leaders.

To me, it's kind of like that point in time where the supercars are "taking a break". Hard to explain, but to me, I think it's something like....Supercars--->Corvettes/GT-Rs/etc.--->Supercars...with the 3rd part not quite here yet, if anyone can understand what I'm trying to say.

9. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    #9 bounty, Jun 27, 2008
    I get what you're saying. The last "supercar" to really come our way was the Veyron(2005) ? Heck we haven't had a Ferrari supercar released since the Enzo(2003) (not counting the non-streetlegal ffx).

But I think you can hardly compare million dollar+ supercars to a 100k corvette despite the fact that they are 5 years apart age wise.

10. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Exactly. And this is a stock car. GTR fanboys where are you? Come out and playyyyyyy.

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    So was the GTR test.

12. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    LOL. Most GTR "Fanboys" are not trolling ******s like you guys are. I love the GTR, how does this time affect the fact that a standard GT sports car (GTR) is still one of the fastest production cars today? I am a huge Corvette guy as well. The ZR-1 will crush many other track oriented cars just as it was designed to. The GTR crushes all other production GT cars as IT was designed too. When will you learn that the GTR was never designed to be compared to Scuderia's, ACR Vipers, Corvette ZR-1's and other track cars. You have continually missed the point and your ignorance proceeds you.

13. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    I'm of the opinion that both are unique and each will bring it's own style, heritage, and driving characteristics or "feel". Undoubtedly, there will be those that prefer one to the other just as there are those who prefer Lamborghini to Ferrari and vice versa. I have always been of the opinion that, while it is normal to have favorites, true collectors, aficianados, and gear heads alike have an appreciation for varying manufacturers, periods, and variations of the automobile as many players have contributed to the furthering of the auto's design and engineering, especially in regards to the sports car. I do not know Jim, but what I like in regards to his collection is that he apparently appreciates both Ford and Ferrari and their respective places in history. I have wondered how the guys back in Italy feel about, not P4/5, but his owning of a GT40. I like godzilla from a functional stand point and, quite frankly, find its design less offensive than some current German offerings ( & one recent Italian!), if for no other reason than their blandness. The GTR is the window into the mass produced sports cars' future. I reserve a certian ZR1 fondness because it does what most people said could not be done or would not be done by GM. Everyone expects the Europeans or Japanese to raise the bar, not so much for American sports cars. Both are heavy hitters that can bring a proper brawl to any ballroom they choose. One is Jacki Chan karate, one is new school / old school no holds barred Chuck Norris. And it is admittidly hard not to root for the last of big V8s, and the home team. Ferrari red and yellow shoes, checkered flag gold chains, bull mounting horse decals, or flat brim hat'n grape fruit shooting. Pick your poison boys as it is a great time to be an enthusiast. Oh, and if you think a pro did not drive the ZR1 while it was at the ring, recalibrate your settings, sit back and wait for.......

14. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Finally the almight Corvette will get it's due... ;)

15. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    The latest Motor Trend just did a report on the F430 high performance edition (scudera) SP and it outperforms an Enzo of just a few years ago.

Its really a great read.. and shows that not only the increase in hp and tq..not only the computer controlled clutch setup...but really its the new technology of active handling ....

The latest editions ie new Ferrari F430 Scudera, GTR and ZR1....

This is the newest wave of high performance technology for really fast road and track times..

Makes everyone an expert...or so the article states.

Big fan of the corvette. Good to hear its performance times are so strong in production form. Same for the stock tires. Its impressive.

16. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    First Test: 2008 Ferrari 430 Scuderia
    Enzo, Schmenzo: You own one of the 380-some surviving Enzos and think your carbon-fiber V-12 baby is the shizzle? Think again.

By Frank Markus
    Photography by Mark Bramley

That's right. The 430 Scuderia, a V-8-powered, aluminum "volume-sales" model we all kind of assumed was just another lightened, mid-cycle riff on the F430 turns out to be one serious supercar. It may be Ferrari's best-performing GT car ever, despite its fire-sale $272,306 price. It is unquestionably the Ferrari that mere owners -- not factory test drivers or F1 world champions -- will be able to drive the fastest on demanding roads or race circuits without winding up on wreckedexotics.com.

Granted, the 503-hp 430 carries 18-percent-more weight per filly than does the 651-hp Enzo and it lacks the Enzo's exotic pushrod-actuated suspension, active aero-gear, and a few other racy touches. And yet with Michael Schumacher at the helm, the 430 Scuderia circulated the fast track at Fiorano in 1:25.0, equaling Dario Benuzzi's best run in the Enzo, circa 2003. And indeed our own test equipment recorded a quicker launch in the 430 (1.2 seconds to 30 mph versus 1.4 in our last Enzo) and a blistering 0-to-60 time of just 3.1 seconds to the Enzo's comparatively pedestrian 3.4. Granted, by the quarter mile the Enzo's power advantage vaults it ahead by 0.2 second and almost 7 mph, but on shorter circuits like the 1.8-mile Pista di Fiorano there's precious little time spent at those speeds. In fact, as development engineer Michele Giaramita explained the many advantages the 430 enjoys at different spots on the track, we had to wonder if Michael might have been sandbagging just a skosh in the name of saving Enzo's face until the next limited-run V-12 super-cavallino arrives. Follow along and see if you agree.

Ferrari took a holistic approach to enhancing the F430, whittling away at anything that slows a car down and applying the latest tricks learned in Formula 1 racing. Power, weight, tires, and suspension were the low-hanging fruit. Using carbon fiber extensively throughout the interior and engine compartment, ditching sound-deadening materials and fitting a Lexan rear window and titanium springs and lug bolts helped shave 220 lb off the F430. A host of detail refinements to the 4.3L flat-plane-crankshaft V-8 added 20 hp and 4 lb-ft of peak output, but fattens the torque on either side of the peak by a bunch more, making the overall performance feel like much more than a four-percent improvement. Stickier Pirelli PZero Corsa tires (10 mm wider in front), plus lowered (0.6 in.), stiffer springs (35 percent front/32 percent rear) boost handling, braking, and acceleration-launch performance.

The rest of the improvements are pretty much all Formula 1-inspired, starting with the aerodynamics, which are optimized to increase front and rear downforce without resorting to large wings by creating suction underneath the body. A patent-pending "base bleed" method of relieving aerodynamic pressure from the rear-wheel housings helps bring the 430 Scuderia's drag coefficient in five percent under the Enzo's. Next, the ever-evolving F1 paddle-shift automated manual gearbox controls have been hyper-caffeinated to deliver shifts in an unfathomable 60 milliseconds. This new F1-SuperFast2's shifts happen in about a quarter of the time required for a manual shift-or for a shift in the first-generation F1 box in the Enzo, for that matter.

(5 pages at the link) http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/112_0808_2008_ferrari_430_scuderia_test/index.html

17. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003

I don't doubt the ZR1's time. Just like I didn't doubt the GTR's time when it came out. Unlike some people in here who even to this day deny GTR's time even with the video proof.

One thing though, shouldn't ZR1 be compared to V-Spec? (ZO6 with GTR) And I want to see Viper ACR's time around the ring...

18. CR-X

CR-X Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    Your the biggest fanboy on here. You and your boyfriends on here are so quick to claim bs on everything GTR related, even with videos as proof, you go on and on and on like a whiny crybaby. Face it the GTR is an amazing car considering how heavy it is, just like the ZR1 is a great car as well. I hope Nissan steps up and drops the weight on the V-Spec and ups its power, making it as quick as the ZR1/ACR. You are definetly not an enthusiast.

19. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Well, I'm not referring to you, or really anyone here. More or less, I'm referring to the folks who would over-praise the GT-R time and then put down anything that might been "iffy" about the time.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    At the end of they day these 2 cars, the GTR and the ZR1, just go to prove how over priced and underperforming most exotic cars are. I don't care what name is on the hood. But put the Ferrari badge on the ZR1 or GTR and you guys would be singing to the Ferrari gods for producing such a wonderful machine...

21. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

+1

911 GT2 = Vspec GTR
    ZR1 = Vspec GTR
    GTR = 911 Turbo, Z06 etc.

22. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Doubt that...

More like crucifying the manufacturer for producing such a great performing car with Pleather and other interior parts taken from last years AstroVan !!

Ferrari is a "Brand" ... producing unique products (Plural) with exceptional detail to design and uniqueness.

Corvette is like Cher... she was hot once... but a hollow shell of what she used to be now. Plastic surgery can only do so much for an aging icon.

Just my .02

23. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I give credit where credit is due.

The GTR is like an ugly girl who's great in bed; just keep the lights off and its all good....

The Vette is a phenomenol car regardless of base, Z06 or ZR1 trim levels...

24. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i think you have the ferrari of today confused with the legendary exotic car builder of the day!!! not the same ferrari. cheers to the gm folks. hail to the zr-1...again!!

25. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #25 SSNISTR, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
    Ignorance? No, we're just not as stupid as you as to think GTR times were 100% true.... :)