Stolen 250GTE! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Stolen 250GTE!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tyang, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Sorry to hear it has not been found. It seems theft of classic cars is on a steep increase at the moment, I saw on FB recently that a Jaguar XK150 FHC was stolen in London, and another friend of mine had an E Type stolen as well. Fortunately the E Type was fitted with a tracker and recovered fairly quickly.

Will it might loose a few points in originality I think it is prudent to take some anti theft precautions especially if it is a car that is in regular use.

2. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
  3. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus

So do I - in MUCH less time !

Thank you for this optimistic posting !

4. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  5. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    If 20 years are a much too long time for me, 43 years will be for sure.

I wish 43 months or less ...

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I wonder where is the car. Let's say that it is in a private collection... I believe that it is a matter of time to be seen by an irrelevant person and spread the news. I don't believe that somebody, somewhere cut the car for parts..

No way . .

I hope you have some good news soon Markus.

7. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Markus, i'm sure you are working with police but are they not able to review camera footage from motorways, etc.? Is any footage available from the place where the car was stolen? On the other hand, if the thieves were professionals, they probably know which roads to use. Somebody must have seen something. I wish you godspeed in getting her back.

8. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Or 3 meters underground....

9. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    to be honest: YES !!!

10. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    We should be all careful about security of our collections. The more time passes the more these cars will become valuable. There just isnt anything easier to steal than a 500K car from someone's garage. Imagine bank robbers trying to get away with 500K in cash. It is way more dangerous and the likelihood of success is almost zero. This might mean that I'll never let anyone I dont know see my collection and if I do sell my cars, it might only be through an auction or on consignment.

11. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    At home ? for sure, this is of course, but at a meeting ? Do YOU never attend a Ferrari-meeting ?
    Remember, that theft was at Nurburgring (Ferrari Club Germany meeting at Oldtimer Grand Prix) and NOT at my personal home/garage, wich is definitely secure.

Does it mean, we all should NEVER take out our beloved cars for driving and meeting other enthusiasts and keep them only in a safe ?

12. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    No I dont mean never take out my cars. On the contrary one of my GTEs will be shown in Monterey this year and it's costing me serious money to have it shipped out there are returned. No I mean I will not be showing my collection of cars (4+) which I have stored in one location to just anyone.

13. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Markus,
    Any news of your car and of the investigation? I posted some comments on the Maserati thread for the Vignale spyder stolen also in Cologne area. This is too much of a coincidence also with the car of Arthur Bechtel.
    I am not sure the police is capable to enquire , they have too much to do. If I were you with the others and their insurance company I would hire a private investigator to check in Cologne area underworld and underground parking lots..too many cars in this area in too short period of time..same pattern as serial killers,,,,

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Pierre

The police is way too busy with radar guns and speed cameras as that brings in tons of $$$. They don't care about stolen property and say the insurance will cover it anyway. THIS is the reality.

Marcel Massini

15. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    It would be good if there were an organized group or consultancy to monitor and track stolen classic cars, as there is for stolen art. Occasionally the art people have some notable successes. I think the methods would be much the same - monitoring auctions, museum acquisitions, gaining familiarity over time with underworld methods, studying patterns, etc.

Perhaps there is already such a group and I don't know it.

16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Unfortunatelly, same reality in France ! A shame !

17. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    #67 Christian.Fr, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Be optimistic! Interpole is here :)
    All this story is complicate, laws also. Police can t do
    everything today "authority abuse". It s better to see
    a rober a long time in jail than a rober liberate in 24 hours!

18. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Francis, French police is very efficient, believe me.
    The large corporation is blocked against terrorism.

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    If you speed in Switzerland you may easily go to jail for 2 years and they take your car and sell it at public auction.
    If you steal a car in Switzerland you will be released from jail within a few days.
    If you rape a girl in Switzerland you will get a personal spa treatment and/or a horse riding therapy in jail and a five year personal psychological assistance to bring you back on the right track..........all paid by the tax payer, of course.
    If you kill somebody in Switzerland you may get 3 to 5 years in jail, if you find a good lawyer (being paid by the tax payer, of course!). And if you behave in jail you will be released after half of the jail time.
    THAT is reality.

Marcel Massini

lagunacc likes this.
  20. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The UK as well, theft of personal property is seen as a problem for the owner and any insurance company involved instead of a real crime these days by the powers that be.

Steal just £20,000 in a bank raid and it is a big deal, get caught and it is serious prison time, steal a car to the same value, just a statistic instead and a slap on the risk if caught.

21. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Looks repressive but looks correct and normal too.
    In Spain, it was a nightmare last 2 decades, some numbers talking
    by themselves:

Hurt 2003 19493. 2013. 5206.
    Dead2003 3993. 2013. 1108.

We have 2 police and 1 police/military corps. The first is national, perfect and very repected.
    second is local, ridiculous, small formation, always at the bar, trying to find a LOL. The last one is the worst, but they do a big effort for changing their image.
    Now, for the small story, there s a old lady in Madrid who percuted a police scooter, drove her car in bus zone, the police percecution stop just in front her home.

the judge consider her driving as: not serious.

This is our poor reality.

22. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    NO, not yet , but ...

so, please keep on looking and listening !

23. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    I found my stolen 911 one year later in netherlands. Our neighbours like classic cars too...

24. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    one would think with as many who are tracking serial numbers, sales, and owners it would seem improbable that anyone would steal a Ferrari, especially an older one when production was by the handful, not thousands. The low production numbers makes identifying easier, yet there are those who would covet the opportunity to own a Ferrari with a questionable lineage. It's the dark side of human nature. Actual recovery can take many years, with authorities usually stumbling on their discovery.

25. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Yes, it is impossible to offer Even ONE single Part of her. Every Number is staped or written correctly and is matching. Even the hoods and the doors have the correctly matching number ("744" for PF Job #39744) stamped in. So the f***** Thief can't even part her out.

Best wishes
    Markus

Jürgen Geisler likes this.