Stolen car...please help | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Stolen car...please help

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Matt LaMotte, Nov 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Thanks Chris. I tried it several different times but no luck.

2. chris360hawks

chris360hawks Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris Hard
    You may also want to try and search for surrounding counties property tax websites to see if he pulls up any where. Truly sorry to hear about this.

3. Telefonos de Mexico

BANNED

Nov 11, 2008
    Mexico Pueblos Oaxac
    Full Name:
    Raúl Campos

Get in touch with US Customs and put a flag on the VIN and in the surrouding States as well that the car was stolen from you etc

this way the car can not be exported - you will need to hire PI for this and follow thru with your own leg work, also hit up as many forums as possibile with photos of the car.

I would highly encourage you to call your local FBI office as well.

4. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    Guys, unless this guy was a rank amateur "James" was not his real name, and that car was in a container and out of the country within 24 hours.

5. 5800RPM

5800RPM Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 21, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi Matt and sorry for your troubles. But don't feel bad because you were conned by a pro.

And I also have to tend to agree the car is either parted or in a container on its way to Saudi Arabia.

In any event, could someone here (dealer, f-chatter etc...) who may have a carfax account run Matt's VIN? It might show if the car has had anything done to it since it left his possession. You may be able to find out if it had a service performed.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?partner=DOU_3&vin=JNKCV54E66M721215 shows 6 records. Does that sound about right for your ownership period? If nobody can come through with the carfax check, if 6 records doesn't sound right to you then you may want to spring for the couple of bucks yourself to pull the record and see what is on there.

And finally, I'm sorry you had to learn that, by and large, the police are as useless as tits on a bull when it comes to property crime. I've had damn near $750K in equipment stolen from me over the years. The cops don't even show up anymore. You call in and they give you a report number and tell you to call your insurance. Funny how they are always available to issue a speeding ticket for 10MPH over the limit or to write you up for following too close. Maybe you should have reported the car was full of donuts, at least that way there would have been some legitimate impetus for the cops to find it :D

6. Telefonos de Mexico

BANNED

Nov 11, 2008
    Mexico Pueblos Oaxac
    Full Name:
    Raúl Campos
    most of them are serverly stupid enough they will get cought.

I would like to see what car was taken and photos would help.

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    any progress?

8. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I went back to my lawyer and he wants me to get additional paperwork from my insurance company. It looks like it's going to come down to when they added the "We do not cover the sale of a vehicle" inclusion and if I was ever notified. I have had insurance with them for a little over two years and have never signed anything except when I first set up service. When I requested a copy of the inclusion they only sent me a copy of my policy with the highlighted nclusion. Not when it was added. So I got to go get that.
    Another tough thing I get to swallow for a little while. Even though I am not getting covered by my insurance company I am required to keep insurance on the car by my bank due to my loan. If I take it off the bank says they have to get insurance on the loan which will add more on to my current loan. In other words even though State Farm is not covering it and the car is stolen I still have to keep insurance on the car.
    My only hope with all this is if the lawyer can pull this off. If not guys I don't know what else to do. Numerous calls to Birmingham police wanting to talk to my detective are never returned. No agenicies seem to want to help me and I don't got the money to pay off the car. It's the middle of winter and all I got right now is a motorcycle. Life sucks sometimes. I appreciate the concern and advice everyone on here has given me. I'm running out of options though and everyday passes I know my chances of the car turning up are shrinking. I guess the thing that blows my mind is the boldness of it all. I would never rob or steal from anybody and I don't see how somebody can sleep at night knowing that they robbed somebody. He may have got me but I'm so glad I'm not him because I couldn't live with it.
    However every day is a new day and things could always be worse.

9. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Earlier, someone suggested defaulting on the loan. I actually think that's a great idea, especially if you're considering bankruptcy anyway. That way, you're not the only one with a vested interest in a car that you no longer possess. As soon as you default on the loan, the bank will seize the car, except that they can't, and suddenly you won't be the only one trying to track down 'James.' It might be better than paying off a car you don't have!

10. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    ....or he might have to prove in court, now with a court appointed lawyer as he is BK, that he didn't set the whole thing up before he declared BK. I am not saying that is the case but if you declare BK the bank will most likely see it that way and you will have to prove otherwise.

11. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I think that riding a motorcycle to work in the dead of winter would show Matt wasn't complicit in the vehicle disappearing.

This **** makes me really mad. I hate lowlifes like "James". I hope this guy is caught and his balls cut off.

You posted any of this on the Infiniti G35 forums? If not, I would. Good luck to you...I hope this gets resolved.

My other suggestion is to get another lawyer if this one runs out of steam.

RMX

12. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Perfect, I think that would be a good punishment too. Maybe just smash his balls with a hammer. I bet a lot less cars would be stolen this way every year.

13. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Yeah I got it posted over there too. No leads yet but we will see what happens.

14. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    you getting anywhere with this situation Matt?

15. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Tru dat!

RMX

16. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Any good news?

17. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

I Second That. Unbelievable!

18. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Wow! Lesson learned...

If this ever happens to anyone, consider just saying that your car was stolen...rather than misappropriated...though that would be a lie...

19. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    No good news. The claim guy that denied the claim tells me that he cannot get me the paperwork I need to get to my lawyer and that I need to go to my local representative. I am heading there way tomorrow. This isn't going to be pretty.

20. fred cat

fred cat Karting
    BANNED

Oct 20, 2007
    ...since you were up-side down on this "deal" and gave "James" the difference on the balance owed......Did you give him cash or check?

21. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    OUCH dude.

22. fred cat

fred cat Karting
    BANNED

Oct 20, 2007
    Just asking a question...Seems like it would be easier to track a person that cashed a check than one he handed cash.

23. fred cat

fred cat Karting
    BANNED

Oct 20, 2007
    ..Re-read paragraph # 5. He`s paying it off out of his pocket. My mistake.

24. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What happened today?

25. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    It rained all day and since I only have a motorcycle I didn't get to go. Still no word from the Birmingham police.