STOP THE PRESS!!!!! - - - - NEW Tyres from Pirelli - CINTURATO 205/70VR14 CN36 | FerrariChat

STOP THE PRESS!!!!! - - - - NEW Tyres from Pirelli - CINTURATO 205/70VR14 CN36

Discussion in '206/246' started by Longstone Tyres, Aug 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #1 Longstone Tyres, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Team

This news is hot off the press i am expecting delivery tomorrow. they should be only £ 199 GBP

I should be receiving them tomorrow so if you want to be the first email [email protected] or ring 00 44 1302 711123.

this is a picture of another CN36 in a different size. they are so new i haven't seen them yet and i haven't even got them on the web site yet
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #2 Longstone Tyres, Aug 19, 2016
  3. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    The tire you show says "R" not "VR". Does that make a difference?

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Fantastic!!! The CN36 and the XWX are two of the best looking tires! I just saw my friend's Carrera RS collection with the new 215/60-15 CN36 rears.

Freeman

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If there's no "V," it isn't a VR, and is NOT correct for a 246 Dino. Let's see if Longstone Tyres can sort this out.

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I had CN36 on my Alfa GTVin the good old days when you went 'flat out'.

My car, being 'slightly breathed over' would see 220kph in Germany for miles and nothing happened, so I would not be overly concerned, as those speeds are seldom seen nowadays.

The Alfa came with Firestone Cavallino as OEM, and those were good for 190+ as that's as fast as it would go. Rating? Who knows, or who cared...

When I changed the wheels to magnesium and the CN36's, it would still handle and slide as it was intended to, more controlled, yet it would slide and drift.
    Now, with modern compounds, I am not certain about that anymore.

I once asked someone on this site how their new XWX's handled, and he replied that he did not know. Guess not a very spirited driver, and the tires were just a "concours" requirement.

Personally, if I want boring, I think a Prius would do better, with some 145/90s' or whatever they put on them.

Buy the CN36,s they look very period and cool.

I hope this plug is worth for a decent discount :)

Regards, Alberto

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I do agree... not allowed in Germany on a Dino....

8. capcgn

capcgn Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Germany
    It is clearly to see, it has a W Rating, also more than 240 km/h, like the XWX. No problem in Germany

9. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Correct...

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #10 GermanDino, Aug 21, 2016
    if the tire has a "W" rating, it`s more than fine....

11. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I don't see a W where one would normally be. Generally, before 1991 it would often be within the size marking - such as 205/70VR14, but after 1991 it would appear separately after, but close to, the size marking - such as 225/50R16 91W, or something similar.

Yes, I see the W that is marked near the rim, but that is not the style or location where you would normally see a speed marking. Maybe Dougal has more info by now?

12. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #12 Longstone Tyres, Aug 23, 2016
    Aha! fear not. we have it all under control.

the tyre size is 205/70R14 89W.

meaning:- 205mm wide at the widest point; 70% of 205mm is the height of the side wall, R means it is radial and 14" is the diameter of the rim. this is the size of the tyres description and then now for modern times we need a load rating which is 89 and the speed rating is W. W speed ratings hadn't been invented in 1968 but it means 170 mph. so it is perfect.

Here iss a picture i have taken to demonstrate. (please don't take offence of the pointer i made specially, there is non intended, it just a bit of fooling around. you can get things right and have a laugh while you are at it)

13. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    😀

14. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Any reason why one should go with these instead of XWXs (other than price?).

The previous owner of my Dino should find this amusing - I was told that, as Director of Motorsport for Pirelli, he was hacked off at having to buy Michelin tyres for his car!!!

16. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    if you ask me... Michelin XWX`s are the best authentic choice and drives well too....

17. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Ferrari delivered a lot of cars with Pirelli Cinturato CN36 in the sixties and seventies including Dino. So why not try an alternative to the expensive XWX? I will...

18. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I don't suppose anyone has a picture of a Dino fitted with Cinturato CN36 do they?

Or any other Ferrari for that matter.

Also a build sheet listing CN36 would pretty much make my day

19. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    that would be very interesting.... :)

20. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

When? Where? What models?

21. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    The Cinturato was delivered with several 12 cylinder models as 250 GTE, 330 GT 2+2.
    Not with Dino 246, I have to correct that. But this tyre was very common on cars of the seventees as BMW 3.0, Mercedes SL, Porsche and several Dino owners went to it when they had to change.

22. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi 500tr I'm confused. was it onthe the Ferrari 246 Dino?

I have been given a pdf of the Fiat Dino sales brochure and you can see them in the on the car which is great, but i must admit it would be great if they were Ferrari OE.

Pirelli have also made me a few new sizes in the Cinturato CN12 tread pattern

205/70WR15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN12 | Longstone Tyres which is not a Ferrari size but loads of people fit them to cars that should fit the 185VR15 cars like 250 GT Lusso, and the 250 GTE, definitely did not fit 205/70VR15 tyres when they were built because they had not been invented yet, but as a 185 tyre has a recommended rim of 4.5" - 6" rim and Ferrari being Ferrari a lot of these cars had a 6.5" rim, so people assume a wider tyre was fitted, but it wasn't.

215/70VR15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN12 | Longstone Tyres this is a good one for Ferrari too. between '64 and the 70's most cars on 15" wheels fitted the all new biggest high speed rated radial the 205VR15 Cinturato CN72 HS which we still have today. but when 70 profile tyres came out in 1968 cars started to move on to low profile tyres, so lots of cars that fitted 205VR15 moved on to 215/70VR15, Ferrari did iit and so did Maserati & Lamborghini

255/60WR15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN12 | Longstone Tyres this one is a good one. this tyre was original on a Lamborghini Muira SV on the rear and on the Aston Martin V8 Vantage for about 2 years. It was a bit of a punt getting these made. i hoped to increase sales by selling it to De Thomaso Mangusta. maybe i should think about just getting tyres sold that are going to sell in large quantities.

23. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Weren't Pirelli bought by a Chinese tire manufacturer recently?

What is the country of origin on these new CINTURATOs?

24. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Er Turkey of course.

However, there are other classic tyre companies that just slap theirs brand name on a tyre that they just have manufactured by who ever will do it cheapest.

this is different. the Turkey facctory is a Pirelli factory. the CN36 Pirelli Cinturato are made in a Pirelli factory with their own in house quality control. they are made in the same factory that Pirelli make their F1 tyres.

25. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Thought this was interesting. Perhaps one of our German members can give us more details from the article.

Pirelli a clear winner in classic tyre test : Tyrepress