Stored 360-prevent dead battery and jump starts | FerrariChat

Stored 360-prevent dead battery and jump starts

Discussion in '360/430' started by vrawlani, Dec 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrawlani

vrawlani Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vinay Rawlani
    I have a 360 with a battery tender. I'm planning on storing it for the winter but the garage does not have power outlets. Surely the battery is going to die. I trying to prevent the battery from dying. If it dies, I'm thinking of ways to charge it without a outlet so I never have to jump it.

I planned disconnect the battery in the trunk. I'm reading online that this could be enough? I'm skeptical

So, I am thinking to get a portable power supply that I could plug the battery tender into. When ever the car dies, I would charge the portable power supply at home. Then plug in the tender to the power supply and let the tender charge the battery. Has anyone tried this? Do you think it will work?

Is it better that I just go start the car every so often and let the battery charge for a bit? How often should I do that if I disconnect the battery from the trunk? Weekly? Monthly?

Appreciate any advice you have!

2. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Can you remove the battery and keep it at home on a tender? When spring comes, reinstall the battery and your good to go with a fresh battery. If not removable due to space constrictions etc, you could use a power source like a Jackery to power your charger or tender periodically and keep the battery charged, Just a guess, but if you did this probably once a month would be sufficient. The most harmful, least desirable method would be to start the car cold and idle it to charge a battery. The engine would never get properly warmed up and it would induce internal condensation corrosion etc, Not a good idea to just start it and let it idle in the cold.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Take the battery home, my toyota used to sit for 5 months at a time when i worked deep sea and not started.
    On coming home the battery still had enough charge to start the engine after a few goes, yet not charged up. You will not do that in a ferrari

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Take the battery out and charge in house.

WillskiGT, LorenzoR and EastMemphis like this.
  5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    For 3 years I stored my car at my daughter's condo. I do not like turning the power completely off because I did that the first year of ownership and it did not wake up well in the Spring. It threw so many codes like a f-ing beauty queen. Then I needed to get an emission done and some of the monitors just didn't want to reset.
    Yes, all my issues but the car went to sleep properly after a nice long drive and a goodnight kiss.

So I decided then to keep the battery connected and charged, but how in a condo with no AC outlets or extension cords allowed.
    I bought some wire, 2 alligator clips and 2 truck batteries (the biggest 12v batteries I could find).

I connected the wires to the battery connections behind the driver, ran it out the door and under the car and to the back. I connected the 2 alligator clips and attached it to a fully fully charged battery. This would upkeep the drain to the main battery. Every time I visited my daughter or at least 1/2 week I swapped in the other fully charged batteries.

I monitored the voltages for a while to ensure my setup worked.

It worked so just my suggestion if you're stuck.
    The battery setup was always covered by the car cover, away from 'eyes'.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Get a small solar panel from Harbor Freight. I just looked on their website and they have one for $36 that is 7amp. They also have a 1.5 amp that will probably work also. Attach alligator clamps to your battery and put in the garage window or put it on the roof.
    I use solar panels to maintain my RV batteries and it’s a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Hope he has a window with sunlight.
    Outside on the roof isn't going to work in Chicago. First snowfall/ice storm and it'll be rendered worthless.

8. vrawlani

vrawlani Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vinay Rawlani
  9. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Turn the battery master switch off in the frunk. Remove the battery from the passenger wheel well. Put the battery on a tender. Done.