Story of 250 GT Cabriolet s/n 0799 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Story of 250 GT Cabriolet s/n 0799

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SonomaRik, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Seems to me that Car dealers importers would make darn sure that the car imported had a clean title/ownership to avoid issues like this.

2. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    It's irrelevant, really, as long as there is no governing statute of limitations. Cars have been recovered after 30, 40, 50 years. So, yes, to you and me, 15 years is a long time and it is puzzling how this took so long. But, in the eyes of the law, it does not matter. Also, I don't believe that it has been claimed that Interpol has been contacted just now...rather I think there has been some new development such as a new attorney taking on the case and deciding to make it a public matter via this ad, or something similar. Anyways, just because 15 years have elapsed doesn't mean that the claim is no longer valid. That only happens with real estate and encroachment.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No....Ferrari of XXX lurks here and they have never posted a word.....they say that I post quite enough for them, me, and the whole city of Houston! Maybe even the State of Texas LOL!

So they lurk on......

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    IIRC Classic Coach is our dealership in Elizabeth, a fine establishment as decribed to me by one of it's satisfied customers....:D

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #105 No Doubt, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

True, 15 years doesn't rule out the claim.

However, that 15 years has to be explained to a judge. So does the transfer of the ownership papers and the issuance of legal titles by a U.S. state government, as does possession of the car have to be explained.

And it's going to be darn tough to explain why an owner waited 15 years to contact Interpol.

Without really strong explanations, the judge is going to throw out the case as being either "seller's regret" or a scam.

7. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I believe what JS430 meant was that there is no mention that Interpol's involvment is just recent. For all we know, this could be a 15 year old case that is just now being made public.

8. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    Yes, I can read. Can you? It says "Investigations by Interpol are involved" which, since I can speak French, seem to be a poor translation of either "Interpol is investigating" or "Interpol is involved". Can you tell me how you arrive at your understanding of "Interpol has been contacted just now, 15 years later"?

Thanks.

9. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    Again, please explain how you have come to understand that Interpol has only been informed just now, after 15 years?

10. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    Thank you.

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Fair point. It could go either way or somewhere in between 15 years ago until today; we simply don't ahve that information (although the ad *does* claim that the car is on the "active list," hardly the stuff of a 15 year old investigation).

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm grabbing a broom and dustpan. Somebody needs to sweep up all the split hairs around here.

jeesh!

:rolleyes:

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It appears the person who took out the add already knew exactly where to find the car and the real point of the ad is either to keep the car from changing hands before the legal action underway can run it’s course or to taint the car to put pressure on the current owner to enter into a settlement of some kind. Maybe.

14. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Well, yeah. It's called: "Trying the case in the court of public opinion" instead of or in addition to going to actual court. It's either seller's regret or a scam...or both.

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I think the "taint" angle is the most likely.

Might be pretty hard to sell through the usual channels for top dollar with a "black cloud" hanging over it.

If you want to buy a car that you think is too expensive, have someone raise a stink like this. As unethical as the day is long, and you'd likely get sued if anyone knew it was you doing it.

16. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

True, but in this case the "black cloud" is pretty weak and thin ("Ummm...I waited 15 years after my car was stolen to press my case...and the guy who bought my car has the correct ownership papers").

17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher

In most places if the car is listed as stolen there will be problems regardless of the paperwork. I knew a guy who was looking at a mid 60s Chevy about 5 years ago and as part of him PPI took the chassis and engine serial number to a friend a the police just to be sure be fore laying out the money...it turned out the engine was stolen back in the 60s and the car impounded while the police sorted out who owned the engine. I don’t know how it ended, this seems similar though.

The car was on consignment and was probably gone 6 months or a year before the real owner even knew it about it. Paper work procesed, ownership tranfered, car gone.

18. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    If you want to buy a car that you think is too expensive, have someone raise a stink like this. As unethical as the day is long, and you'd likely get sued if anyone knew it was you doing it.[/QUOTE]

Not if your a Lawyer then it's just a little extra work for gain. Like a landscaper working on his own backyard.

19. Maria Faga

Maria Faga Rookie

May 13, 2008
    Bruno, can you tell who Gianni Mennino is and where his business is located today?
    Does the Texas title still exist and if yes, where is it today? Thanks for your answer.

20. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  21. Cavallino-Rampante

Aug 3, 2005
    Elizabeth, NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    The last time I heard from Gianni Mennino was when he visited New York back in 1994.

The ownership papers, including the Texas title, where given to the buyer of 0799GT in the USA. I believe other USA titles were issued in different states, since 0799GT has had at least three different owners since 1994.

22. Maria Faga

Maria Faga Rookie

May 13, 2008

You don't seem to know a lot about your business partners? Who exactly is Gianni Mennino? Where is/was his business? Do you think he is a reliable business partner?

About the documents: the question is not which papers were issued after 1994, but it is relevant to know which documents you got from Gianni Mennino. Were there any documents from that Swiss guy, like a Swiss title or a purchase contract? What documents did you receive besides the Texas title?

23. Cavallino-Rampante

Aug 3, 2005
    Elizabeth, NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Gianni Mennino was not my business partner. He was the owner/seller of the cars. Back in 1993/1994, he was based out of Marbella, Spain. I never had any further deals with him, nor have I had any contact with him since 1994.

The documents we received, besides the titles, were Swiss registration cards, some service records, car keys (including spare keys) and bills of sale.

24. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    So you've got U.S. and European titles, Swiss registrations, and bills of sale showing full payment...which makes the better question: What documents does the alledged "car thief victim" think that she's got to make a case?!

25. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Bruno,
    I sent you a PM a couple of days ago. Please check your mail.
    Thanks.