Stradale 4 point racing belt retrofit? | FerrariChat

Stradale 4 point racing belt retrofit?

Discussion in '360/430' started by andybm3, Aug 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The US Stradales' come with standard seat belts and I am contemplating retrofiting the 4 point racing belts to the car. Has anyone done this? is it possible?

2. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    It must certainly be possible - however, you need to watch out for the following:

The "anchor" points of the harness need to be located where the rear bulk head is strong enough so that in the unfortunate event of a shock the "anchors" do not give way, or you may need to add a support member to ensure a great enough strength

Harnesses are illegal in the US, so the accessibility of the "anchor" points that are used on euro spec cars is apparently quite different,

US cars have a child seat support mechanism with an airbag de-activator which euro -spec cars do not have, so watch out for not affecting those sensors,

keep the original set up for the day you sell the car

Good luck

3. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    On this point, I took out the airbag fuse on my Euro spec spider to fit my son's baby seat in once and it wouldn't select sport mode. Corrected as soon as I returned the fuse so trial and error on this issue takes only a few minutes.

4. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    the US Stradale does not have the mounting point for the harness - you would have to get the left side welded in - needs to be done in a special shop

search for rollbar & stradale and you find several discussions including why some believe it is not a good idea to add a harness without rollbar

5. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    peter,

i am confused -- my manual does not indicate a airbag de-activator, but i could sure use it as i have a 10 year old riding daily, and have always turned off the airbag in my gt2's and 3's.

How does one turn off the passenger airbag in a US CS? [if this should be a new thread, please tell me]. thanks

6. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Giuseppe

I actually have a Euro spec CS which i keep in Europe, but it is my understanding that when you put the child seat in the US spec CS you feed the strap through the hole in the middle of the seat back and clip it into a special bracket that is mounted on the fire wall. When you clip into the bracket it automatically de-activates the passenger airbag.

This, of course, confirms that there are sensors located there and may be an issue if welding in the support brace for a harness.

Also, must agree with Thomas B: If you are going to go to the trouble of putting a race harness it is because you are going to track the car a lot and in that case you really want the roll bar too - which is also illegal in the US....

7. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    i just spoke with Eric, our FNA man: there is NO airbag cutoff in USA CS's

8. udalmia

udalmia Guest

so if someone wants to put a 4 point harness in what modifications have to be made to the car?

9. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    Any insight on how this is accomplished?

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner