Stradale Option Selection | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stradale Option Selection

Discussion in '360/430' started by mrmckay, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    $ Thanks for posting those pics. That is one sharp looking car. I guess I'm getting red calipers. :)

I just might have to give the stripe some more consideration. I think I'm might going to go w/ the all black steering wheel. What exactly do the "hash marks" on the steering wheel look like? Can you get it w/o the hash marks?

Regards,
    Chris

2. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    My thoughts, for what its worth:

Car ordered:
    Nuovo Nero Daytona (metallic black)
    Stripe
    Alcantara interior in red/black
    Four point seat harness in black
    Medium size seats
    Red stiching
    Black leaher streering wheel
    Yellow brake calipers

Reasons:
    - Flat black is difficult to look after (metallic is a little easier). I've had red and thought I'd have a change. The balck car I drove looked great.
    - Stripe looks great on black (wasn't sure on some other colours)
    - Red interior colour of alcantara is really quite pink and red colipers are not the same colour as the seats (or anything else on the car) so yllow calipers because you've got to see the size og those brakes and the yellow is the same as the yellow in the shields etc.
    - Racing interior because why else get the Stradale
    - Four point harness again because it's a Stradale and in black because the red ones are very red compared to the red in the seats
    - Medium size seats to hold a bit better (5'10 160-170lbs) and I've not sat in large and medium were comfortable
    - Red stiching because it's the same as the seats and costs nothing
    - Leather strearing wheel because I really liked the standard wheel
    - No roll bar because it restricts visability and weighs quite a bit
    - No radio because of weight and because I don't use a radio when enjoying my driving
    - No fire extinquisher because the F unit is intrusive, expensive and heavy. I'll fit one myself when I get round to needing it.
    - Powered glass windows as there is now no choice

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I agree with most of what you say... a few questions...

Pink?!? I've seen four different cars in person with that interior... every one of them was the same... brick red... a deep red color... nothing akin to pink. And I think the red calipers match it very well... the calipers and alcantara are MUCH closer in color to each other than they are to Rosso Scuderia.

However, I still think your choice of yellow calipers should look great because of the latter reason you give (match the shields) and because yellow goes great with black!

Well, I wouldn't say that's the reason for getting the Stradale... but I would say it is "signature Stradale". Thus, I started with that choice as a given and chose everything else around that.

Tell me more about restricting visibility!! Out the back window? Or out the side windows? Or both? To what degree does it reduce it? 10%? 50%? That could definitely make the decision for me on trying to retrofit it.

So, Lexan is no longer offered for anybody??

I wish they had done wind-ups... and maybe even wind-up Lexan if they could make it scratch-resistant enough. Oh well.

4. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    All of the three cars I have seen I would not say the red alcantara is red in the sense that Corsa Rosso is red, it doesn't have the Scuderia Rosso orange tint either. Pink perhaps doen't describe the colour either. In comparison to the red paint it is more pastel. The red harness is certainly RED when compared to the alcantara.

The roll bar reduces the visability out of the rear by about 30%. It takes out the top of the rear window. It has no effect from the sides at all.

As for the alcantara being the reason to get a Stradale, I said this the wrong way round. If getting a Stradale then I feel one should go for the racing look eitherwise why not get a Modena!

I feel sure that Ferrari measured the weight with Lexan windows as that was an option at the time the literature was produced. It's no longer a factory option here in the UK although it still may be on the continent. Powered glass windows must add quite a few kilos over lexan

5. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I feel pretty sure that they did NOT measure with the Lexan. Why? Because the weight delta between US Modena and US Stradale owners' manuals is 242lbs... and Lexan is NOT an option on either. Similarly, the weight delta between Euro Modena and Euro Stradale owners' manuals is ALSO 242lbs. And since the Lexan is not a Modena option, I am fairly confident they did NOT use it for the "standard weight" of the car. Finally, the delta between the marketing weight for the Modena and the marketing weight for the Stradale is 242lbs. Similar statement on Lexan and thus it NOT being measured with Lexan.

For those raw numbers, look in this thread which is discussing the weight deltas and trying to explain them.

If they did measure with the Lexan, then that would mean that there was some other thing that they did different on the US Stradale vs. the Euro Stradale that happened to have a weight delta EXACTLY equal to the weight delta between Lexan and glass. Not too likely IMO.

6. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    sounds great. but let me assure you that although all the "reds" on the car are different shades this actually plays well. very well. i really like the idea of yellow calipers, but i've never seen them on a ferrari in person so i'm a bit nervous. but i've seen red brake calipers and they look great...especially on a black car with the stripe AND the red alcantara interior. i don't want to cause you any sleepless nights, but you should reconsider introducing yellow into this work of art :) all the different shades of red tie in beautifully. just my opinion of course, but i have been eating, sleeping and drinking stradales for the past six months! good night. sleep well :)

7. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i've heard that the wind-up windows on the enzo have had some problems. no details, but i think someone at FNA mentioned this to me recently.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Let me give the flip argument, just to provide balance. ;)

Keep the yellow calipers to match the yellow shields, and instead of the red/black alcantara, go with yellow/black alcantara... same signature Stradale look, but with a unique twist. The consistent black with yellow look, inside and out, will be sharp! And you won't have "just another" Stradale, yours will be unique.

(But you won't go wrong with any of the three alternatives... they'll all look great... and be fairly unique... since Rosso Scuderia is so predominantly chosen.)

9. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    since we're all tossing out our ideas here's another variation. instead of "yellow/black" alcantara seats flip the colors so the seats are "black/yellow" meaning the main seating areas are black with yellow trim.

10. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Robin,

You know my view for the interior

Yellow/Black
    Black/Yellow

Very kool

Wazza

11. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Have been looking into yellow/black interior but not had it confirmed that it can be done, dealer things it would be a poor choice (boo to him).

If you have the hardback Stradale book you can see in one picture a black car with yellow calipers. As for the red I felt there was the posibility of having too many colours. Red alcantara different to red harness, diffrent to red car (if scuderia), different to red calipers.

I noted the other threads about weight and I agree that the weight delta seems to be consistent. This doesn't rule out the cars having the same delta for different reasons. I've tried to ask about the difference but here in the UK the response is somewhat along the lines of why do you care too much it's the US car that's heavier.

12. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Not to be a pain, but in fact for the record, it is a TDF Blue car and not a black one, in the hardback book. It has yellow calipers, and also has beige/tan leather seats.

13. shelbee

shelbee Guest

look forward for your incoming delivery :)

14. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Are 19" wheels standard on CS??

15. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Yes the 19" comes standard with the Stradale. Along with wider race/track type tires, Fronts 225 19" , rears 295 x 19" :)

16. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I thought it might be TDF blue too but the picture makes the car look very nearly black so that impression is a black car. I think the yellow calipers look good. It's a shame the book has a limited number of colour/option pictures in it.

I my choice of specification I tried to have some reasons for each item I did/didn't buy which I hoped might be of some help. In the end it comes doesn't it come down to what we want/like and what we don't want/like for this type of purchase?

17. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I took a couple of pictures of the CS roll bar to see if it obstructed the view.

This picture is looking from the cabin back - the roll bar is the silver/grey thing

18. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I also tried to take one of the rear view mirror. It's not easy to see but again the silver/grey thing is the roll bar and again it appears to obstuct the view. I tried to take this from my drivers eye position.

I think the roll bar is a good idea in general but thought this was a useful piece of information

19. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Last picture looking from the engine bay with the cover open - the silver/grey roll bar obstructs about 25% of the window between the engine bay and the cabin

20. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Thanks for those pictures, Robin!! Clearly it obstructs the view out the window... but that portion of the view is not particularly important... the road will almost always be in the lower half
    of the window. But I think I'll similate that in my 360 just to see.

Also, given the combo of the rollbar and the support piece in the middle of the window, it may largely leave your visibility as just the portion under that support piece. Still, its leaving you with the most important part of the view... but definitely getting to be quite a sliver of a view.

Hmmmmm...

21. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    it will be close - I have to move my head or use the side mirrors to get a clear view because of the support piece in the lexan window - it is for me exactly in the most important spot (does the car in the distance behind have headlights on the roof) – so I use the rear view mirror only to determine movement behind me and switch to the side mirrors to get a clear picture

22. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    I think the decision making as to whether to opt for the roll bar or not should take into account a number of things.:

1. Does it add significant weight to the car?
    Answer: Yes about 50kgs

2. Does it impair rear visibility?
    Answer: Yes although it appears to limit only the upper field of vision

3. Does it offer any advantage in strenghtening the chassis?
    Answer: No From what I have heard and read, this effect is neglible

4. Does it offer protection in an event of a roll?
    Answer: Yes, an event more common perhaps in track use

Therefore,from my perspective, the only real reason I can see to add a roll bar would be if I intend to track the car regularly. As I do not intend to do this regularly, and seeing it adds weight to the car and limits the visibility and does not add any structural advantage that I can see, I have removed this from my options list. that's my logic at least.

23. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I don't think it's as heavy as 50kg, more like 50lbs, pretty sure it was 28kgs but my memory is dreadfull. As for the other logic I agree and also left the roll bar out of my options